cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lone Echo 2 with Quest 2 is a fantastic combo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I have only now just begun my playthrough, but the level of detail (using Link) is amazing. The overall graphic quality is noticeably improved compared to Lone Echo 1. There is so much detail everywhere, including your own avatar. 

The fact that SDE and Glare is nearly eliminated on the Quest 2 makes every scene incredibly surreal.

My graphics settings are set to "low" since I have not upgraded my graphics card, and the game still plays and looks amazing. Screenshots never do it justice, but hanging out in the room with the new AI and your human companion is incredibly fun.

I just started playing, and if I'm not mistaken... there is a new feature in Lone Echo 2 where the NPC's recognized gestures. I was making some hand signs and they were totally calling it out. I can't wait to explore this further!

image_2021-10-12_154927.png

30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MetaQuestSupport wrote:

Hey there dburne! We love hearing suggestions from our community members! Submit your suggestions at oculus.uservoice.com. We can't wait to hear from you! 

Ok done - thanks for the suggestion.

Glad to hear that. I don't know how I missed it. 🤔

Lone Echo II: Keeping your game info.
Whether you want to move your game to a different drive (say to a new SSD) or just back up your games(s)
the concepts are the same. (Note for Windows 10 only afaik)

1. Your game information is in the directory ...\Oculus Apps\Software\ready-at-dawn-lone-echo-2\_local\saves
specifically the "saves" subdirectory. The default games directory name is "slot1" but as you play more new games
it will be slot1,2,3,n
2. SAVE this directory. Actually, I save the entire "_local" tree (to a usb drive for backups of all sorts of stuff)
2b. Save it before moving the game to the new location.
Using Oculus library management to move the game will NOT copy your game data, and will delete it.
3. Now, use Oculus library management to move the game from the old location to the new location.
4. Find the directory ...\Oculus Apps\Software\ready-at-dawn-lone-echo-2\_local at the new location.
If _local doesnt exist thats ok.
5. Copy the saved _local tree to ...\Oculus Apps\Software\ready-at-dawn-lone-echo-2\ so you end up with
...\Oculus Apps\Software\ready-at-dawn-lone-echo-2\_local and beneath it will be:
...\Oculus Apps\Software\ready-at-dawn-lone-echo-2\_local\gui
...\Oculus Apps\Software\ready-at-dawn-lone-echo-2\_local\r14logs
...\Oculus Apps\Software\ready-at-dawn-lone-echo-2\_local\saves

...\Oculus Apps\Software\ready-at-dawn-lone-echo-2\_local\saves is the saved game(s)

6. That should do it.

ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

@sford52  Thanks for all that mate.  Too little, too late for me.  I already lost all my LE1 and LE2 saves when I moved these over to my ssd drive but heh, it was fun going through these again anyway, lol!

As I SLOWLY progress though LE2 (maybe half way through now, lol!) I still cannot believe how well this looks and works wireless with my Q2/rtx3090 using Air Link with 200mbps dynamic bitrate.  With high LE2 graphics settings and v33 with link sharpening enabled, and device settings at 80Hz with max right res encoding slider (= native Q2 res) everything with LE2 looks better than my old Rift cv1 ever did with LE1 @2.5xSS imho.  Not quite as good blacks as OLED but they are still very good with my Q2 lcd's and the lack of any SDE and freedom of wireless more than makes up for this imho.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

I feel really guilty about this but just got a 30% discount and it took a few seconds to decide what to get 😁

I'm still going to wait to upgrade my Quest 1 before playing this though. Come on Connect, Quest 2 of something else? I need to know.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Just a few Quest 2 LE2 settings tips that I hope may help some;

Best Q2 settings probably depends a lot on your PC specs, esp. your gpu. With my Quest 2 and rtx3090, mainly using Air Link the best, Crash-Free settings, for me are;

Oculus Desktop device graphics at 80Hz refresh rate and res slider full right, and 200mbps dynamic bitrate (dashboard menu). ODT settings all default or zeros except enable Link sharpening.

In-game mainly defaults but graphics at High plus I disabled Auto Res scaling. I only ever got 2x game crashes early on, but none since disabling Auto Res Scaling.

I have also tried this with Link (official cable) then the only thing I add it to set bitrate in ODT to 500. For me, the freedom of Air Link far outweighs the slightly better clarity of distant objects with my Link cable.

I have the recommended Air Link router/wifi setup; 1gig router ethernet wired to my pc and good, dedicated 5Ghz wifi 2-3m away. I'm the only 5Ghz user in my house and kicked everyone else to the 2.4Ghz band and disabled auto-band switching.

For lower end PC's I think that 80Hz and as much res slider your system can handle, plus all your ODT settings at default or 0's is a good place to start. Then in-game graphics at the predefined Hi-med-low (whatever your PC can handle) and scroll down and make sure Auto Res is disabled.

I'm really enjoying LE2 with my wireless Q2 using Air Link and I hope everyone else is as well.  Cheers.

Edit; saw on Reddit today and one person’s solution to crashing bug splat’s was to go into bios and disable ram XMP.  Just thought I’d mention this.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@Zenbane  Just another tip for those that are getting the odd LE2 game crashes.  The OTT manual suggests adding a custom win10 page file size with min = your gpu vram size, max = +2Gb.  with my old 1080ti (11Gb vram) I used to use 11Gb min, 13Gb max and I did find this helped with all my flight sims and LE1.  With my new 3090 with 24Gb vram, I never bothered to do this.  However, yesterday I changed my page file size to 12Gb min and 14Gb max (on my 1Tb SSD drive that I also have LE2 installed on btw)  I then played LE2 for 2.5hrs without a crash, or even any texture changes.  I doubt that this would help with a page file on a slower hdd.

Anyway, maybe something else worth trying, and easy to undo.  Cheers.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

UPDATE;

After finally getting a crash after almost 3 hours playing time I looked at my pagefile and saw that it had grown to 14.2Gb (my max set at approx this) and after restarting my PC it still had this amount allocated,  I'm no PC expert but I think that there may be a problem in the way LE2 allocates memory.  Anyway, I tried lowering min/max values and it still seemed to want to keep 14.2Gb allocated. 

What I did to get rid of this is to wipe out the pagefile (set no pagfile in system settings), restarted PC to check that none was allocated.  I then changed my min to the win10 recommended value for me = 4980mb and set the max to 2x that = 9960mb.  With my 32Gb on-board ram, together with my rtx3090 24Gb Vram, this size of a pagefile should never be necessary anyway.  Since doing this I played +2 hours without a crash (or texture changes) and after checking the system settings I see that now only 4989mb is allocated and I have an extra 10Gb of SSD space.  So, I'm going to live with this.

I'm still really enjoying LE2 with my Q2/rtx3090 with Air Link and after almost 10hrs playtime I'm probably about 75% finished (back to the future again, say no more, lol!).  Cheers.

Thanks Tom, I changed my pagefile in response to your post.  I am quite far (90% ?) into the game and haven't had a crash yet, but I did have one freeze up requiring Captain Task Manager to heavy hand it. Very, VERY, pleased with this game, its detail, gameplay and characters (even on my peasant laptop).

Kudos to RAD.

A couple of vexing problems in there, and one I had to cheat for. But the physics of this game is amazing.

Good luck and have fun.

ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

OK, I finally finished LE2 today (~12.5 hrs gameplay reported from my loading/saves).  I did manage to get one crash just before I was almost finished but fortunately it did not take me back too far and it all ran fine to the end after that. 

No spoiler intended but make sure you view all the credits at the end so you get to see the finale (say no more).  I could not believe the number of persons involved, including testers.  I tried to see if I knew any of the testers so I could give them a hard time but I did not recognise anyone, lol!

Overall, LE2 was a good ride for me and I liked it even more than LE1.  It also played well and looked fantastic with my Q2/rtx3090 using Air Link.  I may go back to finish a few side tasks I left alone along the way but probably not for a while.  Cheers.