cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for CPU upgrade suggestions

Bloodlet
Rising Star
I'm currently running an AMD FX-6300 6 core 4118 Mhz CPU.
With AMD R9 290X Gpu.

This was fine with the DK2 but it's struggling with the 90fps for CV1.
I can get the 90fps but it stutters a little and drops quite low in gfx intense areas.
I'm pretty sure it's due to cpu bottle necking.

I
know the recommended cpu is an i5-4950 but was wanting some input from
you all as to something that would future proof me a little more.

I will have to upgrade my motherboard as well as mine has the old AM3 socket.
Was thinking about a Gigabyte GA-Z170x gaming 5 board but can't decide on a suitable CPU.

Any help here would be appreciated.
26 REPLIES 26

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I got a 6700k superb chip and a good price 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Bloodlet
Rising Star
I was concidering the i7-6700k.
Wasn't sure if the 8 thread would still be a problem.

Bloodlet
Rising Star

Goobers
Adventurer
Did you run any type of monitoring program? Check CPU and GPU usage during the stutter.

The 290x could just as easily be the culprit.

Actually, I kinda feel that they're both the issue.

~~~~~

As for the i7-6700k... it's the highest spec i7 currently available to mainstream users, unless you want to spend more for the "enthusiast" category CPUs. While I have an i7-5820k, it's not really a CPU people generally recommend... since they almost always lean towards the more mainstream i7 quad cores.

Sorry, my point was, if you think that would pose an issue, than there's pretty much NO (mainstream) CPU that would handle VR... but that's not the case as plenty of people swear by their i5-2500Ks and such.

Personally, I'm not so sure about the i5s, but any recent i7 should suffice.

As to anyone reading this that's swearing by their i5s... I'm not here to argue with y'all... it's a personal opinion, so, can we leave it at that?

Bloodlet
Rising Star
@Goobers Thanks for the response.
No I haven't run any monitoring programs. To be honest I'm not sure what and how to do this.
What am I looking for?

Goobers
Adventurer
Try MSI Afterburner. There are others, but the only other one I would recommend (EVGA PrecisionX), doesn't work on AMD.

Its mainly a GPU monitoring program, but it can also catch CPU usage and temps too.

Bloodlet
Rising Star
Thanks installing MSI Afterburner now.

Bloodlet
Rising Star
Ok I ran MSI Afterburner while playing War Thunder in the CV1.

GPU usages is around 90-95%
CPU core 1 usage is around 70-75%
CPU cores 2 + 3 around 35-40%
Cores 4, 5 + 6 are barely used.

I also noticed the slight stuttering isn't mirrored on the monitor. I'm now wondering if it's purely down to the sensor running off a USB 2.0 port until my new USB 3.0 card turns up in a few days.

xSTONEMANx
Expert Protege
I would go with either the i7 4790k or the i7 6700 k benefits to the 6700k is that you get to use ddr4 ram