Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lynx R-1 VR/AR Headset Kickstarter Launched

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stanlarroque/lynx/description

https://www.roadtovr.com/lynx-kickstarter-release-mixed-reality/

The Lynx R1 is a Quest style standalone headset featuring both VR and colour pass through AR.

Here's some specs:

• 1600x1600 per eye
  • 90Hz
  • Qualcomm XR2
  • Hand tracking and optional 6DOF controllers (Finch Shift controllers from the Vive Wave)
  • Wifi 6 with PCVR and SteamVR support
  • SD Card
  • Partnered with Side Quest as their store
  • 2-3 hour battery life
  • 700g
  • USB-C port and TRRS 3.5mm headphone/mic socket
  • speakers and 4 microphone array
  • 6 cameras: 2 B/W room tracking, 2 IR hand tracking, 2 colour AR pass through
  • Early Bird price: €530 (no controllers), €99 for 2 controllers

The weight is rather higher than the 503g of the Quest 2. But the front part doesn't stick out from your face much, it has a halo headband and the battery is on the back of the headband, so the balance looks far better.

The R-1 has a detachable (magnetic) VR shield thing. Without it, you have natural peripheral vision. Or add it to block peripheral vision for VR.

Their main input is hand tracking. The 6DOF controllers are apparently optional extras based on Finch Shift, they don't talk about them much.

One cool bit from the kickstarter page:

"an open software platform without subscription or mandatory account creation with a clear policy on data privacy. We're also giving developers full control of the distribution of their applications (app store, direct distribution). We are keeping that philosophy on the hardware side with an open architecture with access to the cameras and sensors and the possibility to extend the functionalities thanks to its USB-C port."

It also has a rather unique optical system. Each eye has a "four-fold catadioptric freeform prism" with "octogonal LCD panel".

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
2 REPLIES 2

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I'm wary of crowd funding for projects from teams that haven't released anything before, but I'm liking the sound of most of this headset. The controllers are a little concerning, since they are optional. But I like the control developers have (and lack of social network requirement).

The AR abilities are quite interesting. Pass through AR has some pros and cons. Normal additive AR like Hololens and Magic Leap have clear lenses and add light on top. They can only make things brighter. It's impossible to draw a black shape on a Hololens, you have to just make everything else brighter instead. It's the same as how a projector can't project black,

But video passthrough AR (like Zed Mini and Lynx) allow you to completely modify what is seen.

One cool use for this would be hard core simulator fans with cockpits. You could green screen around your cockpit, then have the simulator render only over the top of the green, leaving passthrough for the cockpit and your arms. Zed Mini has a demo of basically this kind of thing. I was going to make a demo for the Rift-S when it was announced until I found out that the cameras were low quality b&w and developers were blocked from accessing them anyway. 😞

I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews, I might have to grab one if it turns out ok.

(Oh yeah, they hit their funding goal in 15 hours).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Cas and Chary got to try out the current Lynx prototypes.