cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX resolution of 360 stereo mp4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello
I am making a 3 minute art piece in stereo 360 top/bottom format. Its for the Oculus Rift and its my first experience of this world. I would like to know the maximum resolution that I can play back inside the Rift. My empirical experiments suggest anything above 4000 x4000 is not possible . Can someone confirm that?
Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yeah I've downloaded a few 6K 3D and 8K mono videos but haven't been able to play them back.

For example the sample 6K 3D video on Insta360 Pro's website is 6400 x 6400 over/under and uses MPEG-4 Part 10 (H.264) High@L5.2 codec. It won't play on any VR Video app I have. Same deal for their 8K mono samples. I downloaded Insta's own desktop video player and they won't even play on that! The only program that I've found that will play them is oddly Media Player Classic although slightly choppy and obviously no good for VR.

Insta's sample 4K 3D video (3840 x 3840 over/under) encoded using the same codec plays back fine on Whirligig.

So this is obviously going to be a video player/codec limitation rather than a headset limitation. H.264 is clearly capable of resolutions higher than 4K but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of software capable of playing back these resolutions right now.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Yeah I've downloaded a few 6K 3D and 8K mono videos but haven't been able to play them back.

For example the sample 6K 3D video on Insta360 Pro's website is 6400 x 6400 over/under and uses MPEG-4 Part 10 (H.264) High@L5.2 codec. It won't play on any VR Video app I have. Same deal for their 8K mono samples. I downloaded Insta's own desktop video player and they won't even play on that! The only program that I've found that will play them is oddly Media Player Classic although slightly choppy and obviously no good for VR.

Insta's sample 4K 3D video (3840 x 3840 over/under) encoded using the same codec plays back fine on Whirligig.

So this is obviously going to be a video player/codec limitation rather than a headset limitation. H.264 is clearly capable of resolutions higher than 4K but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of software capable of playing back these resolutions right now.

oh boy this is a problem but if you do PC vr you can open them and stream them but the artifacts 😞

I cant believe there is no solution for it, 360 content is only enjoyable over 8K.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

i played back 8k 360 degree video on my rift using my lowly gtx 1060 videocard. 

i bought the hevc video extension from the microsoft store the same codec as the video, then i used the virtual desktop video player to play the video. i had to setup the virtual desktop video player to use the codec and play the video properly though.

masterchop
Protege

This is good information, thank you for sharing.  Unfortunatelly with the quest i would have to uses link and that kill the video quality. ill dust out my rift to check it out. its a bummer i cant use the better display to test this out.