cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSFS 2020 Vs Oculus Quest 2

suzanne.laval.96
Explorer

Hi,

Has anybody been able to run Flight Simulator 2020 for PC (not Steam edition) with an Oculus Quest 2.

I have watched tones of videos on YouTube showing how to configure your setting in FL VR mode and in Oculus debug tools but nothing works.

Note my graphic card is an RTX 2060, OpenXr is intalled on my PC, and my Oculus Quest 2 connects to my PC via my USB cable when I check the connection using the Oculus app.

When I try to play FS and hit CTRL+TAB I get a warning indicating No Headset detected. However, if I play the Oculus ISS mission game, this game plays perfectly.

I am desperate. I purchased that headset because it is very well rated when playing MSFS 2020.

Can someone provide me with the complete and detailed instructions on how to set: Oculus app, FS 2020 VR settings, OpenXr, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

ohgrant
Superstar

I have 4 GB to go on the update, one thing I didn't think of, even though you didn't get it from Steam, I would install Steam and Steam VR if you haven't already and try launching it again. Have Oculus running, Quest linked and in PC home. If the game launches Steam VR and Steam gives you an Open XR error, go ahead and give Steam permission. 

Should be done updating in an hour or so.  

Edit: finally done with update, sorry to say there doesn't seem to be anything I can see you're doing wrong. Since your error is open XR related and game specific, I doubt Oculus support can help you much either. I would reach out to Microsoft support.  Good luck. 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

View solution in original post

ohgrant
Superstar

No problem, sorry I couldn't help more. Yeah I doubt that Oculus could get it sorted since it's failing at launch, I don't think there would even be a log file to go by. I suspect MS will unfortunately have you reinstall, possibly a dependency file didn't initially install because it didn't detect any VR app. I may be wrong.

For flight sims though I think you will find there are many great ones like DCS world of equal caliber. If you're use to playing with HOTAS you may find you also enjoy flying with the stick inside the game. 

If you any interest in biplanes and WW1 dogfighting I recommend checking out Warplanes WW1 fighters.   

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ohgrant
Superstar

Sounds like you just need to go to settings in PC Oculus app then "General" tab and enable "unknown sources" also ensure that "enable Oculus as active" in the openXR row just below. Happy flying

I take it you have jumped through the registry hoop on this page ?

Hi guy's.

Thanks for your help.

First I want to tell you that I have set OpenXr as indicated. When I run OpenXr I see the following path: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json). It also displays: XResults failure (XR_ERROR_INSTANCE_LOST). I don't know why!..

Note also that my Oculus settings in the General tab are as follow:

Unknown Sources - ON

OpenXr Runtime - Set Oculus as active (shaded)

Library Location - Edit

Automatic App Updates - ON

Bandwith Limit - No Limit

App Download While Using VR - ON

Bandwtih Limit While Using VR - No Limit

Notification Preference - (Blank)

Language Preference - English (US)

Account Locale - United States

Terms of Service -   ->

Rift & Touch Safety - ON

Rift S & Touch Safety - ON

Automatic Launch Oculus Home - ON

When I wish play FS in VR, I first launch FS 2000. I launch OpenXR and connect my headset. I see in the Oculus app that my headset is connected since I get a green indicator and I hear sound in the headset when I connects.

However when I start a tutorial and I am flying, when I hit CTRL+TAB I get an indication NO HEADSET DETECTED.

Can you help me further. I am discouraged trying to play FS 2000 in VR.

Regards

ohgrant
Superstar

I haven't played it with my Quest for a while having a G2. I just tried to launch it and have a big update before I can launch and try to see what may be going on.  

For now I would start by trying to lower the graphics settings in the game itself if you had set it to desktop. Possibly try turning down the resolution and other eye candy stuff like AF, AA vertical sync. Maybe run in windowed mode.  I'll let you know if I figure something out. I'm assuming you have the Windows store version? 

Edit:  Also have Oculus linked with PC app and ready to go before you launch the game, IOW don't start the game first.  

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have unsuccessfully tried in every possible way to run thata game in VR. 

I will wait for your reply before going further.

Note I am not a beginner with a PC but I am missing a step I don't know where.

Thanks in advance for your help,

ohgrant
Superstar

I have 4 GB to go on the update, one thing I didn't think of, even though you didn't get it from Steam, I would install Steam and Steam VR if you haven't already and try launching it again. Have Oculus running, Quest linked and in PC home. If the game launches Steam VR and Steam gives you an Open XR error, go ahead and give Steam permission. 

Should be done updating in an hour or so.  

Edit: finally done with update, sorry to say there doesn't seem to be anything I can see you're doing wrong. Since your error is open XR related and game specific, I doubt Oculus support can help you much either. I would reach out to Microsoft support.  Good luck. 

Hi,

Thanks for your time and help.

I will do as suggested.

Regards

ohgrant
Superstar

No problem, sorry I couldn't help more. Yeah I doubt that Oculus could get it sorted since it's failing at launch, I don't think there would even be a log file to go by. I suspect MS will unfortunately have you reinstall, possibly a dependency file didn't initially install because it didn't detect any VR app. I may be wrong.

For flight sims though I think you will find there are many great ones like DCS world of equal caliber. If you're use to playing with HOTAS you may find you also enjoy flying with the stick inside the game. 

If you any interest in biplanes and WW1 dogfighting I recommend checking out Warplanes WW1 fighters.