cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mashable on top 5 hurdles still there for VR

Disdroid
Honored Guest
Great Article by Mashable. Enjoyed the read that wasn't all about hype for a change and it gives a pretty good idea about the current state of the art.
People tend to believe what they want to be true.
12 REPLIES 12

Wireline
Explorer
If VR fails because "but I don't look cool in it" is the reason, I will lock my front door, have food mailed through my letterbox and never speak to humanity again. And maybe hope for an ebola outbreak or something.

I can see it now. YouTube make up tips:
How to wear an Oculus without smudging your foundation! Part#1

Walking through a shopping mall. Poster: David Beckham. Shirt off. Trimmed pubes poking out of top of skinny jeans. F***ing Hennes logo on the front of the designer knock off Armani rift.

Why isn't there a vomit emoticon?
Edit: Anger aimed at world, not you disdroid 😄

shim2
Adventurer
IMO if Dice makes the battlefield series rift compatible that would be a huge help to sell hardware.

TheVWW
Explorer
I'm not sure how seriously the reporter researched VR, but her top 4/5 reasons are moot.

1- Seated experience? Okay, I can do lot's of stuff sitting down; AND, there's Virtuix Omni (and other) omindirectional treadmills for standing mobility. Just because Oculus themselves are only producing an HMD doesn't mean that I can't get other products. It's like saying PCs are really worthless. I mean, it's just a box. Until there is some way of SEEING some kind of output, why would anyone want a box? Yeah, I have a monitor, tyvm...

2- No Hands? Sorry, I've been to a few trade shows in the past few months (Unite, Siggraph) and you.must.be.joking! Everything there is about new peripherals for hands. How about the ten million haptic-glove solutions? Or, my personal favorite, the Leap Motion! Leap MOtion is AWESOME! In fact, so good, that we are integrating it along with Oculus VR, so that we have full native support for both. The two really work well together. I have hands in my VR.

3- No Single Experience? Okay, notwithstanding the games and demos I've played which are already enough to sell me on VR, give me 4 months to launch full VR compatible adult entertainment, and that argument's done.

4- Easy to Make People Sick? Sure, if it isn't done properly. But that's like saying, Web sites suck, because it's easy to make a bad web page. Yes it is, but if you are a professional, you can really make a great one too! And it really isn't that hard to make VR stuff that minimizes motion sickness. In fact, it's pretty easy if you aren't trying to have them skydive or something...

5- Silly looking? Really? I think it looks kind of cool. Especially with my stickers 🙂
The world's only Browser for VR! Beta test it today! Ask me how. http://www.thevww.com/

AlricJ
Honored Guest
They are all genuine issues. Not insurmountable showstoppers, but they are hurdles yet to be overcome.
It's true that in the imagined future of a VR enthusiast, all the VR peripheral kick-starters have succeeded, the demos have given way to spectacular finished experiences, and spouses, family and friends don't bat an eyelid at the person sat their with a screen strapped to his/her face.

That might very well be the real future. But it's not the present, and it's fair to say that there is still a lot of work to be done in getting past these issues.

shim2
Adventurer
"TheVWW" wrote:
I'm not sure how seriously the reporter researched VR, but her top 4/5 reasons are moot.

1- Seated experience? Okay, I can do lot's of stuff sitting down; AND, there's Virtuix Omni (and other) omindirectional treadmills for standing mobility. Just because Oculus themselves are only producing an HMD doesn't mean that I can't get other products. It's like saying PCs are really worthless. I mean, it's just a box. Until there is some way of SEEING some kind of output, why would anyone want a box? Yeah, I have a monitor, tyvm...
who in their right mind is going to buy a treadmill to play games, people don't buy treadmills to get in shape :lol:

2- No Hands? Sorry, I've been to a few trade shows in the past few months (Unite, Siggraph) and you.must.be.joking! Everything there is about new peripherals for hands. How about the ten million haptic-glove solutions? Or, my personal favorite, the Leap Motion! Leap MOtion is AWESOME! In fact, so good, that we are integrating it along with Oculus VR, so that we have full native support for both. The two really work well together. I have hands in my VR.
none of that stuff can be bought at walmart so to the everyday consumer it doesn't exist

3- No Single Experience? Okay, notwithstanding the games and demos I've played which are already enough to sell me on VR, give me 4 months to launch full VR compatible adult entertainment, and that argument's done.
You probably don't qualify as "mainstream consumer", most games out don't meet that criteria honestly. Sims are niche so that cancels out Assetto Corsa, PCARS, Euro Truck sim 2 and elite dangerous. Most other games are only small demos. There still isn't that game that WILL sell VR

4- Easy to Make People Sick? Sure, if it isn't done properly. But that's like saying, Web sites suck, because it's easy to make a bad web page. Yes it is, but if you are a professional, you can really make a great one too! And it really isn't that hard to make VR stuff that minimizes motion sickness. In fact, it's pretty easy if you aren't trying to have them skydive or something...
curing motion sickness for 100% of the population is a long term goal, people get sick riding in cars afterall, it's more than just making a game properly

5- Silly looking? Really? I think it looks kind of cool. Especially with my stickers 🙂
strapping a headset to your face will be new for 99.9999% of people so it does look a bit strange to them

In short, don't take your personal feelings about something and assume the mainstream will feel the same. Doing that will only lead to disappointment.

HAWKEYE481
Honored Guest
All these people who have come late to game will find anyway possible to downgrade VR that's what critics do. I was a critic of Luckys Tale a few months back due to the cartoon graphics & the Mario style gameplay thinking it would make VR look like a gimmick (I'm now after playing it a firm believer). One thing I've always believed in is VR in general. I know like many others it's going to evolve rapidly! Probably faster than the internet did but it will take time. I also understand in the terms of marketing that a converted critic is a powerful tool.
"Some people say VR can take you anywhere in the world, I say VR can take you anywhere in your imagination" Intelligent-Visuals http://www.ivvr.uk http://www.intelligent-visuals.com https://www.facebook.com/intelligentvisuals

TheVWW
Explorer
"shim2" wrote:
"TheVWW" wrote:

who in their right mind is going to buy a treadmill to play games, people don't buy treadmills to get in shape :lol: My comments are about the naivety of the author. The treadmills already exist and work. Since there is no CV, obviously people aren't buying them yet. BUT IF, as the author things, the "requirement" to be seated is a VR killer, then she should know that for $300, a peripheral is available that removes that "hurdle." I, personally, don't believe that seated experience is a problem for VR, but if it is, as the author claims, she is still wrong.

none of that stuff can be bought at walmart so to the everyday consumer it doesn't existWell, a CV isn't available yet, so I don't see your point. WHEN CV is out, this stuff will be available at Walmart and Amazon and everywhere else. The real issue is only that VR isn't yet out to consumer.

You probably don't qualify as "mainstream consumer", most games out don't meet that criteria honestly. Sims are niche so that cancels out Assetto Corsa, PCARS, Euro Truck sim 2 and elite dangerous. Most other games are only small demos. There still isn't that game that WILL sell VRIf a CV existed, she would be proven wrong with this. Plenty of content already exists. Also, adult content is coming right away, and as with every past big digital innovation, it is a universal experience that will bring VR to everyone.

curing motion sickness for 100% of the population is a long term goal, people get sick riding in cars afterall, it's more than just making a game properlyMy point is only that motion sickness isn't a real problem. It's a problem for a very limited set of VR experiences. It will not prevent VR from going mainstream. The only reason VR isn't mainstream yet is it's not available to consumers.

strapping a headset to your face will be new for 99.9999% of people so it does look a bit strange to them
Again, when a CV is out, every talk-show host, every internet personality, and everyone you and I know will have images of themselves in a VR headset. Overnight, it won't look out of place, it'll look like you are on the cutting edge. The only reason that isn't true today, is consumers can't get a VR headset. But when I go around with a Rift, you better believe that people get on their hands and knees begging me to let them try it. No one has ever said to me, "This looks funny." It's exactly the opposite of that.

In short, don't take your personal feelings about something and assume the mainstream will feel the same. Doing that will only lead to disappointment.
Thanks. I don't let my personal feelings influence my objective view of this business area. I do research, I conduct focus groups, and I solicit user feedback all the time. I travel to trade shows both in the VR related industry, and in industry that is totally unrelated, and so I have a lot of experience with DK1 and DK2 directly with future consumers. I can say without a doubt, that if a CV were released tomorrow, it would blow up. None of the issues the writer discussed are real. They are all based on her very limited experience with VR.
The world's only Browser for VR! Beta test it today! Ask me how. http://www.thevww.com/

HAWKEYE481
Honored Guest
The thing is this is one of the biggest barriers of VR is that the mainstream audience just look at people with a headset on & automatically think they look stupid. It's only hardcores that realise the true potential & don't care what they look like. I still think the majority of the mainstream audience still have no clue as to what VR even looks or feels like. Even in it's early form, the bang will happen & will happen over night, at present we're still not quite there although the new momentum of VR is enough! Leaving enough space before the craze for software development along with input & all the other new mediums yet to be developed or even known how to tackle. I'd predict two years from now VR will be the thing! I'm not just talking known about I'm talking the next internet etc five years from now it will be the next TV/Smart phone 10 years from now VR will be everyday life consisting of people even working in VR for everyday life. This decade will be one of the biggest technological jumps man has seen!
"Some people say VR can take you anywhere in the world, I say VR can take you anywhere in your imagination" Intelligent-Visuals http://www.ivvr.uk http://www.intelligent-visuals.com https://www.facebook.com/intelligentvisuals

ThreeEyes
Explorer
Maybe it's along the lines of the people talking on "cell phones" years ago...

Besides being expensive, they weren't very practical or stylish. Add a few years of developments and...

But... but... but... I just NEED to know about the Baba! The Baba has me hypmotized! :shock: