cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MechWarrior 5 Has A Great VR Mod Coming

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Up until now, the closest thing we have had to a AAA Mech experience in VR is Archangel
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1880529828633843/

This is one of those hidden gem VR experience. I played it all the way through, and absolutely love the way you are able to experience the feeling of being lifted up in to a giant Mech body.

And now, after all these years, the greatest Mech series of all time will be having a VR Mod!

Zenbane_0-1629832951494.png

https://headset-vr.tech/mechwarrior-5-has-a-great-vr-mod-coming-very-soon/

https://twitter.com/ragesaqvr/status/1428160754750935045

53 REPLIES 53

ohgrant
Superstar

Wonderful news!  I was keeping an old P4 with XP on it, up to about a year ago, just for an occasional revisit of Mech warrior 3 with my Z800.  Please keep us posted

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Never had a mech warrior game, sounds like that needs to change!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The Mod is now available. Some good videos on YouTube of the VR experience. The VR Mod is free via NexusMods; you just gotta buy the actual game.

The best thing I head about this VR Mod is that it has a proper "sense of scale" which is always hard to get right, and this one did! I do love that you have an entire "body" attached to you in the VR Mod. I am not a fan of the invisible floating hands. So yet another aspect of VR that this mod gets correct.

ohgrant
Superstar

The mod crashes with my G2 set at normal res. From what I read in the mod notes, I'll need to set it about 60% normal res for G2.

Works good with Quest and link. I first got the one eye image with TXAA enabled. With FXAA I can run everything else maxed out. Even with everything else maxed it still needs some SS to get it looking good. I had it as far as 1.7 but think I'm going to have to back down. Going to have to set up some custom bindings for my joystick. 

As far as other VR Mech games go, I should mention Vox Machinae since it's name is not so obvious to what it is. I rarely play online games but that one compelled me to return again and again. Full hand support, you use your hands inside the game to grab and control the various controls. The battle arenas all look like the same desert the coyote chases the road runner but the battles are epic. Unfortunately no real off line content besides the tutorial.

MechWarrior 5 should fill that need nicely, thanks.      

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG!

So I was a huge Mechwarrior fan way back in the day, had the first few versions and Mercs was one of my favorites back then. I was so excited when I saw a new one coming out, then so very disappointed to learn it would not support VR. So I did not get it.

Now that I saw there is a Mod for it to bring it into the VR world, well I had to have it. Purchased it yesterday and read up on the VR Mod install.

Installed it this morning, and it worked first time! I could not believe I was finding myself in that huge battle Mech in the Mechwarrior world. I loaded up an instant action to have a quick go. It was freakin awesome!

As it is not a native VR title performance is going to hurt. Have to really lower some settings, I started out with the recommended and it seemed to run ok for me - but only have about 10 minutes of playtime in with it have to get used to my controller setup. I am starting out with the X-Box controller , I have a good HOTAS setup but not sure I really want to use it with this game - going to try to get acclimated to using the X-Box controller first.

But very, very early initial impression - as a Mechwarrior fan seeing it in VR and being inside that massive cockpit is like a dream come true. Guess I won't be doing my flight simming today, got to play around with this some.

If you follow his directions good the Mod is quite easy to get installed and working.

It has been a lot of years since I have played a Mechwarrior game - really looking forward to many hours of enjoyment hopefully with this one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm can't seem to get zoom working for me, and that is critical. Getting my butt kicked so far.

ohgrant
Superstar

I started with the Xbox controller but couldn't keep my torso and legs centered even with the centering hotkeys c&f not having much luck with the HOTAS in that regard either . Zoom is working on my HOTAS with the hat not sure about xbox controller. So many buttons assigned to firing the different weapons groups, going to be difficult to get to a point that I don't need the keyboard. I started a voice attack profile for some commands that I won't be able to assign to controller. I think there is a setting somewhere to lock torso and legs, saw it on a YT video but I think it was a console version not PC. 

Right now getting pretty good at walking sideways. I'm sure it will be a blast once I have it all sorted but cannon fodder right now.   

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting perhaps zoom is just not working on the X-Box controller in VR. I posted over on the Nexus forum to see if he can provide me any feedback on it. I am getting better with the X-Box controller, was somewhat clumsy at first but getting better with it. Make good use of those airstrikes, they are your friend.

I may end up assigning controls to my HOTAS, just wanted to see if I could make do with the controller first to save some of the wear and tear on my HOTAS.  Ultimately I may end up doing that though, especially if that is only way to get zoom working for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok heard back from the developer, the X for the gamepad is not yet bound for cycle zoom, and he said it will be in the next version.