cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MechWarrior 5 Has A Great VR Mod Coming

Zenbane
Level 15

Up until now, the closest thing we have had to a AAA Mech experience in VR is Archangel
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1880529828633843/

This is one of those hidden gem VR experience. I played it all the way through, and absolutely love the way you are able to experience the feeling of being lifted up in to a giant Mech body.

And now, after all these years, the greatest Mech series of all time will be having a VR Mod!

Zenbane_0-1629832951494.png

https://headset-vr.tech/mechwarrior-5-has-a-great-vr-mod-coming-very-soon/

https://twitter.com/ragesaqvr/status/1428160754750935045

4 REPLIES 4

ohgrant
Level 9

Wonderful news!  I was keeping an old P4 with XP on it, up to about a year ago, just for an occasional revisit of Mech warrior 3 with my Z800.  Please keep us posted

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Never had a mech warrior game, sounds like that needs to change!

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19043.1081)

Zenbane
Level 15

The Mod is now available. Some good videos on YouTube of the VR experience. The VR Mod is free via NexusMods; you just gotta buy the actual game.

The best thing I head about this VR Mod is that it has a proper "sense of scale" which is always hard to get right, and this one did! I do love that you have an entire "body" attached to you in the VR Mod. I am not a fan of the invisible floating hands. So yet another aspect of VR that this mod gets correct.

ohgrant
Level 9

The mod crashes with my G2 set at normal res. From what I read in the mod notes, I'll need to set it about 60% normal res for G2.

Works good with Quest and link. I first got the one eye image with TXAA enabled. With FXAA I can run everything else maxed out. Even with everything else maxed it still needs some SS to get it looking good. I had it as far as 1.7 but think I'm going to have to back down. Going to have to set up some custom bindings for my joystick. 

As far as other VR Mech games go, I should mention Vox Machinae since it's name is not so obvious to what it is. I rarely play online games but that one compelled me to return again and again. Full hand support, you use your hands inside the game to grab and control the various controls. The battle arenas all look like the same desert the coyote chases the road runner but the battles are epic. Unfortunately no real off line content besides the tutorial.

MechWarrior 5 should fill that need nicely, thanks.      

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.