cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Dec 11th-12th Release Date - Is This Sensible?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
OK different games, different markets but given the massive buzz surrounding CDPR's Cyberpunk 2077 (releases Dec 10th), do you think the Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond release date couldn't be worse? What are EA thinking? I feel this game is just going to fall under the radar which is a massive shame. Even Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Watch Dogs Legion benefitted from CP 2077's delay. In fact Ubisoft, cleverly released 3 games just before CP 2077 drops.  In the case of WDL they postponed the online portion to 2021. Sensible in my view.  I can appreciate that VR is such a small market that it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme, but I feel as a game that could get more people to invest in VR the timing of this release is incredibly poor.  A shame there isn't flexibility within the market to adjust to delays and other key releases. I would like to play this game but with CP 2077 releasing I doubt I will play it until 2021. Maybe it will be one of those games which hold its retail price over more months as a result. It seems the developers put a lot of effort into this and a shame they won't get rewarded as well as they could have (that's pure speculation on my part). 

Anyhow here's a MP trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3f42_s6-q4

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
6 REPLIES 6

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I really couldn't care much less about Cyberpunk 2077, wasn't even aware it's launching this month.

I only care for VR games - so what's the problem with Medal of Honor?!  😄  😉  

That said, devs just need it out before Christmas, arriving before or after other popular games may be of lesser importance. 2c. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Well, there seems to be a contingent of VR fans looking forwards to this game. Obviously, the game will sell to those 500 people. However, I assumed having a popular or well-known franchise make the way to VR for the first time might command a bit more publicity to perhaps entice some new people into the fold. All I am saying is the release window now it will be overshadowed unfortunately.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Not sure about those 500 people, more than 2,000,000 own Alyx - and Medal of Honor Above & Beyond could be very popular too. We'll see. 

Btw, SteamSpy now says Beat Saber is owned by 2 to 5 mill users. Boneworks is from 500,000 to 1 mill.

Doom Eternal is also 2 to 5 mill, like Alyx and Beat Saber. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
It was a kind of rhetorical figure. I don't think it will get HLA sales numbers.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Actually 2,000,000 owning Alyx is big news for a high-end and demanding PCVR game. Wasn't aware that the 2 mill line had been crossed until I saw it today - this is a great milestone for high-end PCVR gaming. Never would have expected Alyx to get more than 2 mill owners the first year. 

Maybe all the Quest 2 owners made that happen, lol. 

But back to Medal of Honor, if the content is great I'd expect the game to sell much better than Boneworks - and possibly sell more than 1 mill.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
VR is growing that's for sure, but the numbers still are not compelling for AAA developers to make the investment. I mean, as of now the next Resident Evil game (VIII) is PS5 exclusive as far as I can tell. We all know it should be all formats. I genuinely believe had RE 7 been on other VR headsets it would have garnered more interested/sales from those on the fence.  It seems to me a number of the indie developers who previously were quite happy with PC VR development now want to develop for  the Quest platform due to the increased numbers and potential profits.