cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medium is moving to Adobe

kojack
MVP
MVP
Oculus Medium is moving from Facebook to Adobe.

To our passionate Medium users, nothing is changing for you today. And
the app is currently still free when you activate your new Oculus Touch
controllers on the Oculus Store. Stay tuned for more features,
improvements, and other developments coming from Adobe in 2020 as Medium
continues to evolve.

The "today" and "currently" are a little concerning. Will Medium move to a subscription model in 2020?

So, anybody want to bet on Quill being bought by Autodesk?

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
11 REPLIES 11

This is a surprise and I can't quite work out the cause and reasoning and it feels like Oculus are selling their children.

I wouldn't have thought that it's sufficiently widely used yet to be something Adobe would have targetted... or something they could effectively monitize, at least not until VR take-up is a bit more widespread than it currently is.

Is Adobe video editing software any good for 360 videos? I would have thought that would have been a good first step into VR for them.

Anonymous
Not applicable
After they acquired Allegorithmic and the Substance line they said they wanted to move more into 3D. I just didn't think they would acquire a product made by Facebook.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Yeah, it's odd Facebook would let them go, it was one of the best serious tools the Rift had in its library. I'm guessing Adobe will be moving Medium to OpenXR or SteamVR so it has a wider audience.

Facebook at least didn't act like Adobe does when they get bored of a product, they let them move out rather than just discontinue them.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Orkel
Adventurer
Adobe is cancer and this decision is the worst thing Oculus could have come up with. If Medium ends up in a monetized subscription model I suppose it's time to head to piratebay in the future.

Anonymous
Not applicable
As far as I'm concerned, Facebook, you can now go fuck yourself. They're clearly getting rid of Oculus, bits by bits.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Huh, this is worrying for the future of Medium. Adobe and Autodesk are both aggressively pushing toward subscription-only models for all their software, and it ends up being MUCH more expensive for the user.

At my company we've made the difficult decision this year to drop our Autodesk maintenance plan and lock in on the 2020 version of Autodesk Inventor, because they keep jacking up the yearly cost as they try to push us over from our legacy perpetual licenses to their new subscription plans (which cost over $3000 per user per year).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Medium is amazing, a uniquely VR tool.

Personally though, I'd say it's not really professional creation software, just by merit of the current limitations of VR. Memory requirements, resolution, tool availability... when compared to enthusiast or professional level photo or 3D software.

So Adobe must have plans to expand Medium in a big way or it just doesn't fit with their other software line-up. Putting the money thing to one side, I'm a bit worried that we may lose the ease of entry of such an accessible piece of modelling software in favour of something else.

lonku
Honored Guest
I can't post links, but you should find it with a simple google search

What a huge disappointment, I actually bought Medium because I'm on WMR. now what are the odds it will (eventally) be a ridiculous subscription model

sinusmagnus
Honored Guest
Surely Medium will follow the path of Substance which was bought by Adobe at the start of this year. Substance is still sold seperatly and not in the creative cloud so I expect a big momentum before Medium is completely taken over by Adobe.