cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meta Store's Being Considered!

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_0-1636292232075.png

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/05/meta-is-reportedly-planning-retail-stores-as-it-pushes-into-metavers...

This would be an interesting move, especially considering to animosity previous Oculus execs had had to the idea, only going as far as a short lived partnership with BestBuy - and obviously the Samsung GearVR display centers branded Oculus partners. 

These sound more and more like the VIVELAND venues that HTC opened back in 2017.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
5 REPLIES 5

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

@kevinw729 wrote:

This would be an interesting move, especially considering to animosity previous Oculus execs had had to the idea, only going as far as a short lived partnership with BestBuy - and obviously the Samsung GearVR display centers branded Oculus partners. 

These sound more and more like the VIVELAND venues that HTC opened back in 2017.

The partnership with Best Buy hasn't really been short lived considering that even today, Best Buy still allows people to demo the Oculus HMDs in their store. I just saw them on public display last week.

I think the article gets it right by comparing it to Apple Stores. It is obvious that Zuckerberg is taking on Apple directly, as Zuckerberg has been increasingly vocal about Apple's technology and business practices in recent weeks. He has been calling out Apple specifically on several of his Facebook posts.

Viveland was HTC's "bad attempt" at copying Apple. Considering Zuckerberg's track record for going head to head with competition, something tells me that Meta stores will do somewhat better than Viveland.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it may be a bit premature for them to be thinking of opening a Meta Store.

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it may be a bit premature for them to be thinking of opening a Meta Store.

I actually agree that it is premature. Only, I would argue that Facebook has a fairly decent track record with being premature. One example is when they released the Rift CV1 without the hand-controllers; compared to HTC who released a full VR Kit with the Vive - including multiple Base Stations and dual-hand controllers.

I'm sure many recall those 2016 posts on this forum, where the poor 'ol Rift was under fire for being launched with a single sensor and a mere XBox gamepad (along with the Oculus Remote). Heck, I still remember the hilarious debate about whether the Oculus Remote even counts as a controller lol

Point being, the Rift ended up outperforming the Vive, and Oculus products ended up overtaking SteamVR. It was a long road before that happened, but it did eventually happen despite Facebook's premature launching of the Rift CV1.

Granted, that doesn't guarantee that history will repeat itself here with the Metaverse and storefronts. If anything, Facebook seems to have plenty of $$$ to spend as they try to take on Apple directly. It honestly seems like Zuckerberg is just having fun at this point. And isn't that what this tech is all about? Having fun? 😊

Nekto2
Superstar

May there be virtual copy of real Meta store?

So if you put Quest on inside that store you will be.... inside that same store in VR! 🙂

@Nekto2 wrote:

May there be virtual copy of real Meta store?

So if you put Quest on inside that store you will be.... inside that same store in VR! 🙂

Yup! Ideally, you would be able to use your Quest to visit a Meta Store, and the Meta Rep would be wearing AR Glasses, and can actually see you in the store and interact with you.

I am quite certain that is one of the main features Meta is aiming towards with their new storefront.