cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microphone with cv1?

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Sorry for a hopefully not too stupid of a question? We know cv1 has built in headphones but does anyone have any good recommendations for a mic ? For multiplayer simming and chatting via Teamspeak. Hope this hasn't been asked before but I couldn't find a post anywhere ?

Tony
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

19 REPLIES 19

standtall007
Protege
"maxpare79" wrote:
"Dreamwriter" wrote:
As far as I can tell, all we know about the microphone is it is "hidden in the best place" in the Rift, and there are games which use it to detect your breathing.

Never heard about breathing detection would be cool if true... Like in a game like Adrift where you would have to slow your breathing to save up on oxygen :shock:

Nate mentions briefly in the video that the microphone is hidden inside the fabric 😉 i'm guessing he means the fabric that your nose can rest on 🙂 so maybe Dreamwriter is onto something?

https://youtu.be/asduqdRizqs?t=8m55s <-- he mentions it at that point an onwards 😉
ASUS Maximus VII Formula Intel core i7 quad core 4790K OC'ed @ 4.4Ghz 32GB DDR3 Ram Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Windows 10 Pro 64bit GSync Monitor @ 2560x1440, 144Hz ------------------------------------------- DK2 Owner CV1 Preordered.

VizionVR
Rising Star
"JakemanOculus" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:
Apologizing in advance for this, but shouldn't we already know how the damn microphone works? I mean, I understand NDA and all that but c'mon Oculus. It's a microphone. We shouldn't have to search the internet for answers to the elusive microphone.

What do you mean? It's a microphone. It is audio input. That is how it works.

Maybe you want to know how it's used? That is up to the developers who choose to use that audio source. Voice chat is an obvious application.

You're taking me literally, My question was rhetorical. Here's an actual question though: Are you not the least bit surprised that a thread like this even exists, months after pre-orders?
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"vizionvr" wrote:
"JakemanOculus" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:
Apologizing in advance for this, but shouldn't we already know how the damn microphone works? I mean, I understand NDA and all that but c'mon Oculus. It's a microphone. We shouldn't have to search the internet for answers to the elusive microphone.

Maybe you want to know how it's used? That is up to the developers who choose to use that audio source. Voice chat is an obvious application.

You're taking me literally, My question was rhetorical. Here's an actual question though: Are you not the least bit surprised that a thread like this even exists, months after pre-orders?

There really isn't much need to make a thread on it. It's already been mentioned that it's a single microphone hidden behind the fabric in such a way that it isn't occluded and is optimally placed.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
"vizionvr" wrote:
"JakemanOculus" wrote:
"vizionvr" wrote:

Not really surprised. From my perspective people are very excited and anxious about the consumer release, and that spawns lots of inane, preparatory questions as a means to try to handle that excitement.

There have been many questions about specs which have been answered with official sources, but the answers don't satisfy which is expected in my mind. I have been through it many times on this forum. I have provided specific and complete answers to many questions along with links to official sources like oculus.com, yet the sentiment is always one of dissatisfaction because the question is merely a projection of impatience and it desires emotional support more than an answer.

Your own question about the microphone is a good example. You asked how it works and I answered. Then you said your question was rhetorical and moved to imply a larger point about a lack of answers after dismissing mine. It is obvious the problem is not a lack of answers because answers do not satisfy.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Thanks all, only asked this question coz i was sitting watching telly and thought "microphone" for multiplayer (as old uns like me do)

Not excited or anxious but patient and just wanted an answer that I couldn't find.

Have now so thanks.

Tony
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
So, does nobody know if you will be able to change this mic if it becomes faulty? I have gone through a fair amount of mics in my time, so that's why I'm asking.

Luciferous
Consultant
Nobody knows where the thing is let alone can you change it. I would say not if it is under the fabric.

foxpur
Explorer
The microphone appears to be just forward of the left eye mounted to the inside of the shell. It is, rather amazing for something you can't actually see, an amazingly good sound quality but it could use a bit of a gain boost.

Ishii_Riker
Honored Guest

Techy111 said:

Sorry for a hopefully not too stupid of a question? We know cv1 has built in headphones but does anyone have any good recommendations for a mic ? For multiplayer simming and chatting via Teamspeak. Hope this hasn't been asked before but I couldn't find a post anywhere ?

Tony

Hi Tony, 

Don't know if your question has already been answered but you can use whatever gaming/desktop mic you currently use when using the Oculus. In order to switch the input from the built in mic hardware on the Oculus to the default one you have set on your Desktop/Laptop computer, you go into the settings of the oculus desktop app, (the app window that usually pops up automatically when the headset is detected),  click on the settings menu then on the left hand side click on "Device". From there you will see all the Oculus components connected on your rig. Click on the image of the Rift itself and you will be brought to a setting screen that will allow you to actually select your desired input/output sources. 

That's it! Hope this helps.

falken76
Expert Consultant
I learned the CV1 had a mic when I was cursing at it in VR chat.  Felt like a tool.... 😞