cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft buys Bethesda

Microsoft buys Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax.
No doubt this is all about bringing a lot of big franchises to Games Pass in the run up to the latest console war. But seems to me to have some possible knock on effects.

Here's a tweet from John Carmack
v0iwc2ni2zoj.png
26 REPLIES 26

Sorry @snowdog I see you posted this already in the Connect thread... why isn't the forum search function working properly!!!

I think this deserves a thread to itself so if you want to create one, I'll delete this! or I can spin off the Microsoft comments into a new thread, this is pretty big news!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
On one hand,
I'm super excited since I think MS will do some great stuff in this space. I'm also excited to see Oculus and Microsoft teaming up (again).

On the other hand,
Between all the Facebook Connect news, and this Microsoft/ZeniMax news, it feels like VR just got hit with the Reset Button. We're back to 2016 all over again? 

😘 

Yeah it's difficult to gauge this one.
I think whenever the latest console war happens, everything else takes a bit of a back seat and we're reminded of just how big console gaming is compared to the new kid on the block.

The difference this time around is that MS's Game Pass and the developers they bring to it will be available to PC users as well as xbox, and in turn Sony is taking big steps towards cross platform support with PS Now.

I think they're both thinking that accounts are the all-important thing with people being able to sign-up regardless of what hardware they have. I'm sure the future of streaming is playing a big part in these decisions too.

The good thing is that both of these companies are pro VR and MR so I'm going to say I'm on the optimistic side of things.

I wonder how Valve are viewing this trend, with the 2 big players moving towards a cross-platform accounts grab, and buying up developers in the process. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
This should be in off-topic, not general as it's not really VR related.

Off with you to jail volunteer moderator.

*waves hand in a go-away/begone gesture.

😛 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

As John Carmack is happy and there could be implications for titles coming to VR, I'm leaving it... and waving my hands right back... but in a come hither way  😉

On that note Sony's PS Now, I think, will bring PSVR titles to PC and MS's move could encourage this. I'm sure VR users aren't going to be immune from the drive to harvest accounts.

Edit: and I'm trying to work out if Fallout 5 VR is more likely with MS as owners of the IP. It could be their Half-Life Alyx.

I vote they hire Carmack and put him in charge of ZeniMax  😮

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Come on  now MS, take the VR engine from Skyrim, Fallout 4 or Doom and patch it right into the Forza franchise for W10 WMR headsets.......you know you want to. Lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

I assume MS now own the the Creation and id Tech engines.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^ Yeap, so i hope they do something with it as the Forza franchise would be a great place to start in my view.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.