Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft patent reveals Oculus Rift-like HMD

perry
Honored Guest
9 REPLIES 9

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
Patently different than the Rift, if you ask me. But AR/VR glasses like this would be kind of cool. When Google first announced the Glass project, this is closer to what I was imagining it would be.

MannyLectro
Explorer
I just read the article and it seems completely different. It's not a VR device but a AR device.
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514

Dexter111
Honored Guest
Sounds like the Kinect Glasses (Project Fortaleza) from the leaked Microsoft document: http://www.gameinformer.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-SiteFiles/images-news-xbo...

jrspradlin
Honored Guest
I don't really get AR. When I'm playing a game the last thing I want is to be reminded of anything around me. Now if I was in Rome I could see an AR device adding stuff to show you what it was like 2000 years ago. But I do NOT want to wander around my house looking for an octopus.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
There seems to be a difficulty in seeing the difference of AR against VR (augmenting the real world, against viewing a virtual environment). The Sony approach has always been using their HMD as a visual system for real world, with those using the HMZ as a VR system having to modify the original premiss.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
"jrspradlin" wrote:
But I do NOT want to wander around my house looking for an octopus.

this is totally what I want !!

Anonymous
Not applicable
"jrspradlin" wrote:
I don't really get AR. When I'm playing a game the last thing I want is to be reminded of anything around me. Now if I was in Rome I could see an AR device adding stuff to show you what it was like 2000 years ago. But I do NOT want to wander around my house looking for an octopus.

It sounds like you are assuming games would be the primary use. It'd be secondary and probably any games, at least until AR is very advanced, would be really simple things. I don't think the main appeal of AR is games anyways though. Google Glass for example isn't really focused on games at all. But yea, agree with you... VR seems to be much more appropriate for gaming in general.

AtariHistorian
Honored Guest
"bamousse" wrote:
It sounds like you are assuming games would be the primary use. It'd be secondary and probably any games, at least until AR is very advanced, would be really simple things. I don't think the main appeal of AR is games anyways though. Google

I totally agree. Seen the videos of people playing alternate reality games? They're really pre-school, contrived, boring, or all three. Maybe I haven't experienced enough, but I have yet to see an alternate reality game or game demo that looks exciting. I really like the idea of using AR as an overlay for additional information, augmentation, etc.

EDIT: I was also thinking of a game design. A VR game in a virtual world with an AR overlay (within the game) would be nice... and wouldn't take much more difficulty to do.

Vin
Explorer
"AtariHistorian" wrote:
"bamousse" wrote:
It sounds like you are assuming games would be the primary use. It'd be secondary and probably any games, at least until AR is very advanced, would be really simple things. I don't think the main appeal of AR is games anyways though. Google

I totally agree. Seen the videos of people playing alternate reality games? They're really pre-school, contrived, boring, or all three. Maybe I haven't experienced enough, but I have yet to see an alternate reality game or game demo that looks exciting. I really like the idea of using AR as an overlay for additional information, augmentation, etc.

EDIT: I was also thinking of a game design. A VR game in a virtual world with an AR overlay (within the game) would be nice... and wouldn't take much more difficulty to do.

A few games have been doing that for a while, to give a in story explanation of the HUD. This is a fairly solid design strategy, and if done right, can help draw the player in, by explaining the weight on their face.