cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Might need a new pc / laptop

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
My Asus Rog G751JY just crashed the other day!.. .
Have sent it to Asus for diagnosis / repair, but don't know the verdict yet.
But now I'm strongly starting to consider upgrading to a VR ready laptop.

I have looked at ASUS ROG G752VS-GC018T 17,3":
Core i7-6700HQ  2.6 GHz, Turboboost 3.5 GHz 
16GB RAM DDR4 SDRAM 2133 MHz / PC4-17000
GeForce GTX1070 8 GB GDDR5 SDRAM
256GB PCIe SSD, 1TB HDD / 7200 rpm - SATA 6 Gb/s.

And the $240 more expensive Asus G752VS-GC026T.
The only thing I can see that are different are that this one have:
Core i7-6820HK Processor 2.7 GHz, Boost up to 3.6 GHz
PCIex4 512GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
And also a built in Intel® HD graphics 530, (can't see any info on that on the other one)

Which to choose, and is the second one worth 240 dollar more than the first?
The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S
24 REPLIES 24

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer

Trytiped said:

Sounds like your harddrive may have been cramped out, regardless if you have any more questions on Asus laptops feel free to ask been keeping up to date ever since I purchased mine. Happy gaming!

Thank you!  🙂

Sakkura said:

With this kind of budget, it's generally better to buy an affordable non-gaming laptop and a good gaming desktop. Depends whether you want to play Crysis 3 on the train, of course. But PC VR on the go is basically not a thing, and even regular gaming isn't great.

Yes I know.
But I am away from home 2-3 days a week, and I like to be able to play on some of those days as well to get the time to pass.
And it won't be VR on the go, I have a closet where I have all my toys, the G27, TFX-Hotas and the DK2 mounted.
It's only the laptop, mouse and a 360 I take with me, and this have worked great for several years.
My G751JY have run all games on highest and the 17,3" screen is enough, only now with VR I have been tuning down some of the settings, and don't know if, or how well the GTX 980M would do with a CV1..
But otherwise it's a legit and more than capable gaming laptop.

The Closet Sim Rig
Aourus Pro Z390 - i7 8086K 32GB Ram - MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB - Windows 10  / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 / Fanatec ClubSport V3 pedals / Fanatec SQ Shifter 1.5 / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / HE SQ Shifter / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Rift - S

cybereality
Grand Champion
Mobile graphics chips (i.e. ones ending with M) are not supported and mostly don't work.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
I know.
That's why I'm thinking of upgrading to a VR ready laptop.
I will have my CV1 on thursday, and saw that Asus started repair yesterday, so will wait and hear their verdict before I order a new one.
I have a 4K Mini Display Port Adapter in the house, so I might try that to see if it works with the CV1 before deciding, if they can save it that is.
The Closet Sim Rig

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
Okay, so I went for the G752VS, and also got my CV1 last week.
When doing the stem VR test i get a result to the far right.
Over the top VR ready. Really good performance. And a score of 10.9.

But when I have made my CV1 installation, I have a warning in my headset saying that my system isn't matching Oculus specs??.. .

I also get a pretty unsmooth framerate and stutters on objects flying by, like the AI cars in Assetto Corsa, and also the astroids in the Introduction to Virtual Reality demo.
I could also see black space that not had time to load when moving my head..
Adr1ft runs pretty smooth though.

Any idea what this could be?
Seems unreasonable that this system shouldn't handle it..
The Closet Sim Rig

Trytiped
Adventurer
Have you tried monitoring your temps to see if perhaps your CPU is throttling? That laptop should be able to manage with no issues my only concern is that it contains a mobile CPU.

Gwiz84
Heroic Explorer
Buy a desktop pc and save tons of money while getting a more powerful rig?

Trytiped
Adventurer
@Gwiz84 he already stated he needed to purchase a laptop cause he does a lot of traveling.

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
I saw that Nvidia had a new notebook driver for the GTX 1070, and that made it a lot better!
No black edges loading in late and the games / apps runs a lot smoother.
Also had some stutters in The climb before, and the headset went black for a second every time I took a save point, but thats all gone now. 🙂

The Closet Sim Rig

rVRcloset
Heroic Explorer
Just found a thread about G-sync isn't supported in VR, and that's enabled by default on this laptop. So that might have caused some issues as well.

How about V-sync, should I have this on or off in VR?
The Closet Sim Rig

GoesTo11
Protege
So are you pretty happy with it now?  I am going to need a mobile VR solution soon.