cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Age for the Rift

Syaoranoni
Honored Guest
What do you think, people?

I've heard a lot of things about how children shouldn't be using the Rift. I wonder what age that refers to. If I remember correctly, I saw a thing about the minimum age being 10, but I'm probably wrong.

There are obvious reasons for not letting young children into the Rift, such as the IPD not being right. There are others, such as the psychological effects of introducing a new world at an early age.

Anyway, back on track... what do you think should be the minimum age, and why?
Oh, the brutal wait until Christmas. Downloading leagues of demos to make the wait less agonising.
14 REPLIES 14

TheGiantRobot
Honored Guest
I cannot speak for the medical concerns in terms of eye damage or the psychological effects.

However, kids would do what kids do, and play until they puke and then keep playing. That alone is a reason to at least have an official warning on the box so when the level 99 Overprotective Mom calls and wants to sue because little Johnny can't stop puking, she has nothing to stand on. Okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating a little on the compulsive puking, but my point stands 😄

Vin
Explorer
There's no "new world" included with the Rift that can cause psychological effects in children, any more than there are in books, movies, television, video games, board games, sports, or any other form of entertainment children are known to enjoy.

If the consumer model has adjustable IPD, I don't see why it couldn't fall within their range, either.

DericLee
Honored Guest
I actually went to my eye doctor last week for a new contact prescrip, and asked him specifically about this.

I have a five year old who really wants to 'go inside' minecraft while we play.

I asked if it would be okay if my five year old used for a short period of time.

He actually looked at me like I was an idiot at first, then replied "why wouldn't it be?".

I told him about how the 3DS has a recommended age limit for 3D, he then told me that Nintendo just puts that on the system for liability concerns. A childs eyes are not fully developed until around 6 years old, so Nintendo doesn't want you to claim the 3Ds caused any problems that might be found in the eye development.

That being said, he went on to explain that they actually use stereoscopic images on some children(as young as 4months), to help develop the cells that give us dept in perception.

He said that if anything the effect would only improve his eyes.

He also said to go ahead and let my kid play in 3D on the 3DS.

So basically the same rules apply for them as they do us, if the image is out of focus they could get uncomfortable, they also might feel motion sickness, and just like with any other game and any other person, I also imagine it is harder to set up the Rift if they are to young to give proper feedback. IMO monitoring them and limiting sessions is the most important part.

My Rift should be here next week(HOPE), and I'm going to run my son by the eye doc's office, they measured my IPD for me and gave me the results when I just asked, said they would do it for my kid if I brought him in too.

I'm not a doctor, I only play one on TV, so please contact your own physician for personal treatment options that are right for you. 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know that Nintendo suggests that the 3DS be used in 3D mode only by children 7 and up. I believe it has something to do with extended 3D exposure affecting eye development, but I could only guess at the specifics.

Either way, I assume the Oculus Rift would have a similar age restriction due to 3D.

Vin
Explorer
"rpanderson" wrote:
I know that Nintendo suggests that the 3DS be used in 3D mode only by children 7 and up. I believe it has something to do with extended 3D exposure affecting eye development, but I could only guess at the specifics.

Either way, I assume the Oculus Rift would have a similar age restriction due to 3D.

3D does affect eye development, which is why children look at the world in 3D. The only thing an HMD could do is cause temporary eye strain due to the optics being wrong and inducing a headache.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"vin" wrote:
"rpanderson" wrote:

3D does affect eye development, which is why children look at the world in 3D. The only thing an HMD could do is cause temporary eye strain due to the optics being wrong and inducing a headache.

I think that the reason people are afraid of young children viewing 3D stimuli is because since their eyes are focusing on two different images, due to their age, they'd be at a heightened risk of developing a lazy eye. There is a lack of strong scientific basis for this claim since it's such a new widespread technology, but I know Nintendo issued the warning to play it safe, and not because they conducted extended studies.

Basically, my logic was that if the 3DS's 3D effect can cause harm to children under 7, the Oculus Rift's 3D effect would pose the same threat. I think that wrong optics could have lasting effects, much like wearing a poor glasses prescription, but once you enter the realm of incorrect usage, there's a lot more that could potentially cause problems. As far as correct usage of the Rift goes, I would think that 3D is the only feature that would be warned against for young children.

Vin
Explorer
Stereoscopic technology has existed for well over 100 years. 3D technology really doesn't pose a threat to eyes, as long before the point of damage, the device would be so uncomfortable to use that the user would take it off. The idea that it would mess up their eyes is akin to the similar idea involving sitting too close to the tv, both being old wives tales.

geekmaster
Protege
I think that exposure to a broader range of visual experiences (including conflicts between parallax and focus) would be a good thing, preventing "lazy eye" in many cases. The extra exercise from a variety of visual exposure can only be good in moderation, IMHO.

mscanfp
Honored Guest
Just don't put it on your dog or cat, please!

Mike
Like to read? Cool, check out my author page on Amazon. I run free promotions all the time, and you might read something you like, http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Scanlon/e/B00KDPB88U/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0