cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion Sickness Remedies

AdamWTF
Honored Guest
So going by the title does anyone know of anything that helps? Sorry if this has already been asked, I'm actually writing this whilst feeling the negative effects of the Oculus Rift haha.

To give an understanding of my situation in my everyday life I don't experience motion sickness at all/never have, not in cars, trains or anything similar same for roller coasters or even say reading in the car which I know affects most people. I've simply never experienced motion sickness before however with the Oculus all I have to do is put the headset on and I'm feeling queasy. I'm using the DK2 and I've tried a whole host of different titles to see how things affect me, the best experience I had was with Half Life, I played that game for roughly 20mins only feeling mildly sick afterwards lol, a similar experience happened with Minecraft, I lasted roughly 40mins on that title before the sickness became unbearable. Like I said though even just peering into the headset to check it's working at times will make me feel sick, I really want to get past this barrier but I just don't know how, please any advice? My hope is to begin some of my own development on the device soon but at the moment it's simply an impossibility.
11 REPLIES 11

pittsburghjoe
Protege
Try again after the next sdk release and nvidia driver

http://imgur.com/YzQh5XY,hOFYeGK#0

top bar is nausea ..bottom bar is the fix
i7 skylake, EVGA Classified, 2 EVGA 980 sc's, Thermaltake TR2 RX(1000W), 32GB DDR4, Win 10 on an SSD

Wireline
Explorer
Yes indeed you will find a great deal of info on these forums, try searching for the word nausea and you will prpbably find enough reading material for days 🙂

I used over the counter travel sickness meds. Hyoscine was the best because its active in 30 minutes, though you cannot get it in the US. Thank the FDA 🙂 Ginger is often recommended but has a weak evidence base - only 50% of quoted studies find any useful effect and even then its for specific aspects of nausea such as stomach sensation.

If you feel sick, stop. Have a look for classical conditioning and nausea. Do you look at / put on your rift and feel sick immediately? Stop using it for a while and let the association subside, then go back with meds and stop if you feel queasy.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
I've wondered about this on the few occasions I've played things I shouldn't have 🙂

Once you get that sickness it's not nice to have hanging over you, and I don't want to turn to meds. I was hoping there were some natural things like simply going for a brisk walk up a hillside haha 🙂

Anyway, I TRY to avoid anything that can even do that to me now and stick to the tried and trusted software. First thing I would suggest is simply to stop playing games not made for VR in VR (HL2 etc even if it is ok with you) the movement in that one really had me ... turning green, but it creeps up on you doesn't it? you don't realise until it's too late.

In your case it sounds like you've 'pushed the envelope' with FAR TOO MUCH software not meant for VR and this has made you feel sick even looking at the rift, that's normal. I strongly suggest you cease ALL non genuine VR software use (as I have) and stick only with highly rated VR stuff from now on. You should then be fine and can work on your own stuff (and don't do crazy things in your own software either!) 🙂

Don't even play HL2, it's no good that you only start to feel sick after 20 minutes. You shouldn't feel sick at all in 'good VR'. All those little shots of nausea are conditioning you to expect it from "VR". You need a regime of slick, suitable VR specific software to just get used to wearing the rift again without sickness. I would advise the most boring and simple scene as possible, no movement, full tracking and subtle graphics (lots of black not garish colours too)

And obviously many of the current demos for VR still suffer from this due to not designing around it (or specifically for VR) but things will get better. I've played a few 'extreme' games that managed to not make me sick (including a 360 degree space shooter recently) so thankfully it is more than do-able even without having a static 'game'.

sorry for the slightly O/T there - yes this is about remedies not causes, but as they say "prevention is better than a cure" 🙂
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro

standtall007
Protege
Hi Adam, i recently got my DK2, and i have tried all the most important demos out there (those that matters most to me :P) and for some reason i cannot play them without getting extremely motion sick! However after i resumed my Development on my rift enabled game Things has suddenly changed! now i don't get motion sickness, only if i have a pain in the neck (but that is another matter!) so maybe it would also help you if you developed something that you were the "master" of?! it definitely would and will not hurt to try (except maybe some motion sickness :P) i would highly recommend to show that horse who's the boss 😉

Cheers,
ASUS Maximus VII Formula Intel core i7 quad core 4790K OC'ed @ 4.4Ghz 32GB DDR3 Ram Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Windows 10 Pro 64bit GSync Monitor @ 2560x1440, 144Hz ------------------------------------------- DK2 Owner CV1 Preordered.

Wireline
Explorer
"standtall007" wrote:
Things has suddenly changed! now i don't get motion sickness, only if i have a pain in the neck (but that is another matter!)

Off-topic I know, but has anyone mentioned myofascial pain syndrome / trigger points to you? I get it in my neck and it causes one of the muscles to pull on the ear, leading to vertigo like dizziness and sometimes migraine. A bit of massage in the right place solves it, but it really comes from sitting at a computer all day. Thought I would mention in case it helps you 🙂

pittsburghjoe
Protege
"standtall007" wrote:
Hi Adam, i recently got my DK2, and i have tried all the most important demos out there (those that matters most to me :P) and for some reason i cannot play them without getting extremely motion sick! However after i resumed my Development on my rift enabled game Things has suddenly changed! now i don't get motion sickness, only if i have a pain in the neck (but that is another matter!) so maybe it would also help you if you developed something that you were the "master" of?! it definitely would and will not hurt to try (except maybe some motion sickness :P) i would highly recommend to show that horse who's the boss 😉

Cheers,

related ^
http://youtu.be/NYpkrQc9PeA?t=48s
i7 skylake, EVGA Classified, 2 EVGA 980 sc's, Thermaltake TR2 RX(1000W), 32GB DDR4, Win 10 on an SSD

1karl1
Honored Guest
Anything that makes me feel queasy over a certain amount doesn't get played again , 100% works . It's not something i want to get used to . It's just knowing your personal limits .

Kel
Explorer
Emetrol works wonders.

And I am not being sarcastic. 😉 Emetrol gets rid of Nausea and does it pretty fast as well.

standtall007
Protege
"Wireline" wrote:
"standtall007" wrote:
Things has suddenly changed! now i don't get motion sickness, only if i have a pain in the neck (but that is another matter!)

Off-topic I know, but has anyone mentioned myofascial pain syndrome / trigger points to you? I get it in my neck and it causes one of the muscles to pull on the ear, leading to vertigo like dizziness and sometimes migraine. A bit of massage in the right place solves it, but it really comes from sitting at a computer all day. Thought I would mention in case it helps you 🙂

actually wireline, the pain in the neck is quite regular and usually (not just sometimes :() causes a migraine-like pain, the funny part is however i never get headaches 😛 Also regarding the massage... hmm... no good for me, i can't handle people touching me on my shoulders and definitely not in the neck 😞 i am ultra sensitive unfortunately...

but no... nobody has ever mentioned myofascial pain syndrome / trigger points to me ever!
ASUS Maximus VII Formula Intel core i7 quad core 4790K OC'ed @ 4.4Ghz 32GB DDR3 Ram Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Windows 10 Pro 64bit GSync Monitor @ 2560x1440, 144Hz ------------------------------------------- DK2 Owner CV1 Preordered.