cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mouse + Controller

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
Anyone know if it's possible or will be possible to use a controller and mouse simultaneously? Like mouse for movement and controller for triggers, or mouse for forward back, controller for left/right movement. Basically, I have an idea for my own controller, but lack the engineering knowledge, so I'm going to have to just hack this together with a couple of mice and an XBO controller.
6 REPLIES 6

onefang
Explorer
I've used a mouse and sixaxis controller at the same time. I don' t see why not. It's the application developers that decide what input devices they will support, not Oculus. Though like my sixaxis, I go through a shim that makes it pretend to be an Xbox One controller, same could be done for other things.

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
"onefang" wrote:
I've used a mouse and sixaxis controller at the same time. I don' t see why not. It's the application developers that decide what input devices they will support, not Oculus. Though like my sixaxis, I go through a shim that makes it pretend to be an Xbox One controller, same could be done for other things.

Nice, thanks, I guess I'll have some 'spiramenting to do! Might help with immersion, might help a teeny bit with vr sickness.. we'll see if I can get it to work. I take it the program you're using to emulate an xbox controller allows you to map the controls? Does it let you disable movement in a certain direction from the thumbsticks?

maxpare79
Trustee
Well it depends on the game...Oculus has nothing to do with this...If the dev of the game allows mutliple input device at the same time, then you can...
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
"maxpare79" wrote:
Well it depends on the game...Oculus has nothing to do with this...If the dev of the game allows mutliple input device at the same time, then you can...

Well, ideally I'd want a third party application where I could map the buttons, thumbpads and mouse directions to. I guess I should ask instead if anyone knows of such a program... that would take say an xbone or ps4 controller and mouse inputs and let me map directional movement and buttons.

onefang
Explorer
"agenttoff" wrote:
"onefang" wrote:

Nice, thanks, I guess I'll have some 'spiramenting to do! Might help with immersion, might help a teeny bit with vr sickness.. we'll see if I can get it to work. I take it the program you're using to emulate an xbox controller allows you to map the controls? Does it let you disable movement in a certain direction from the thumbsticks?

Mapping controls to functions would be something supported by games and apps, not by the driver. I'd have to turn my Windows box on to check, and it's specific to the sixaxis, so I doubt my answer will help you.

On the other hand, sounds like you are writing your own thing? If so, it's up to you what controller and mapping you support.

Edit: As I have mentioned before (maybe not in this thread, I'm on too many lol) the sixaxis controller has more and better controls than the Xbox One controller. The software I used maps them directly one to one for the stuff they have in common. Why any other need to map them outside of any specific game or app?

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
"onefang" wrote:
"agenttoff" wrote:
"onefang" wrote:

Mapping controls to functions would be something supported by games and apps, not by the driver. I'd have to turn my Windows box on to check, and it's specific to the sixaxis, so I doubt my answer will help you.

On the other hand, sounds like you are writing your own thing? If so, it's up to you what controller and mapping you support.

Edit: As I have mentioned before (maybe not in this thread, I'm on too many lol) the sixaxis controller has more and better controls than the Xbox One controller. The software I used maps them directly one to one for the stuff they have in common. Why any other need to map them outside of any specific game or app?

Gotcha... well, that's unfortunate. I'd love to write my own thing, but I don't have the programming skill... I just have the idea. I was just hoping to hack together some prebuilt hardware and 3D print the unique parts. What I'm planning on doing requires both controller and mouse controls, but I'd need to give priority to one or the other at controlling each direction and button.