cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple VR headsets on 1 PC ?

HiThere_
Level 9
The present of VR would be one VR headset per PC, and the future would be a self contained VR headset.

But in the meantime, putting the software driver development requirement aside, what are the hardware possibilities of running more then one VR headset on a single PC ?

- Either by allowing the PC driver to control multiple VR headsets, if only for displaying multiple views of a single shared application (through one headset per GPU, or maybe even through a single GPU and some external frame splitting hardware).

- Either by allowing multiple VR headsets to share the same single display, by tying the single view and head tracking to a single VR headset, or even by disabling the head tracking altogether (turning all VR headset views into a common fixed virtual 3D scene shared by all users).

What got me thinking about this was that I was able to run GZ3Doom in high resolution at around 1000 FPS, suggesting there was room for more then one VR headset on a PC (even on a moderately priced single GPU dual core CPU).

Also 3D TVs have existed for years but they never took off (in either films or games), one of the reasons might be that the level of 3D achieved on a 3D TV feels disappointing : How favorably would the experience of sharing a virtual 3D (fixed) scene through some VR headsets, compare to the (disappointing) experience of sharing a 3D TV with some 3D glasses ?

An application for this would be sharing Oculus Rift multi user experiences (such as the Couch Knight Demo) on a single customized (offline) Steam box, without requiring more then one local Steam box, or having to suffer from the lag of an internet connection to a distant online Steam box.
23 REPLIES 23

cybereality
Level 15
Check the Unity asset store. You may find a simple networking package you can use (easier than coding yourself, but still needs a programmer to connect everything together). Hope that helps.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

ZENonVR
Level 3

Check the Unity asset store. You may find a simple networking package you can use (easier than coding yourself, but still needs a programmer to connect everything together). Hope that helps.

Will forward that to programers. Thanks 🙂

sallozilver
Level 3
Can't think of a solution for the rift or Vive, but already used the VRSync solution for the Gearvr. Shows synchronized video playback to unlimited devices en can be pauzed or stopped from a master PC. Great to show VR for big groups or event.

moyakateaust
Level 2
Hi. Also wondering how to run multi-user demos of a VR experience I've made (so far no interactivity although I may add some glove-type input for navigation at some stage - or even a full body wearable tech wetsuit one day -  it's a water-based project lol). I want to use a laptop at first to run 2 users, but ultimately I'm hoping to scale to 10-50 users (with networked chat although this can be separate).  Will I still need to install separate processors in a fake floor in a gallery to run this many headsets?