cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Oculus notes thus far.

Emanu
Honored Guest
Hey everybody. Ive been playing around with the Rift for five days now, Loving it even though Ive been getting a bad case of sim-sickness. Seems to be getting my "VR legs" now tho. Or its the motion-sickness-meds I took yesterday... 😛
My notes so far, maybe someone else will find these useful or worthy of discussion:

-my IPD is 61.0 , though it doesnt seem to make much difference when calibrated. too close to the baseline of 63 to be noticable?

-Realism is boring. In all examples Ive tried so far it falls too close to the uncanny valley. Stylized (TF2) or even all-out trippy is more exciting, take the chance to create what doesnt exist IRL.

-Cockpits especially and player body in a lesser degree helps with simulator sickness.

-Its impossible to drink tea while in the rift. 😞

-Towering architecture is cool

-In the contrast between things up close and far away is where the real VR magic happens. Exiting the starting building in TF2 badlands is prime example.

-Slow movement is best suited for VR.

-good FPS is key.
10 REPLIES 10

drash
Heroic Explorer
I like your notes! Very insightful. Totally agree on towering architecture being awesome.

I might suggest using a straw if you want to drink something, though! 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Emanu
Honored Guest
Thanks Drash! Nice to hear, I was undecided about whether it was too trivial to post or not 🙂

and as for the straw, def going to prepare my workspace with a bunch, I was woefully unprepared today...

EAPidgeon
Honored Guest
Sorry to hijack your thread a little like this, but you mentioned that the baseline IPD was 63? Is this for the Rift, as another thread mentioned 64 IPD, and I just used a online site, and a tool which measures glasses frames to calculate my IPD ~66. I'm wondering if I will necessarily have to do any massive changes if it's 64/63 immediately.

Never expected it to process so soon :lol:

Emanu
Honored Guest
The Tuscany demo was defaulted at 63, and I _think_ that the TF2 calibration used that as a starting point too, but im not 100% on that.

EAPidgeon
Honored Guest
"Emanu" wrote:
The Tuscany demo was defaulted at 63, and I _think_ that the TF2 calibration used that as a starting point too, but im not 100% on that.

Alright, so it's maybe 63, thanks for the quick response Emanu 😄

Frooxius
Honored Guest
I encountered the drinking problem as well when I first started playing, quickly brought a straw! 😄 However I broke one glass accidentally, now I'm way more careful.

tlopes
Honored Guest
In my understanding of the SDK, version 0.2 changed the hardware IPD to 63.5mm and the default user IPD to 64.0mm.

Also I totally agree with you that tall, towering objects feel really (big) cool whether you're standing on top of them looking down, or standing under them looking up.

geekmaster
Protege
"Emanu" wrote:
... -Its impossible to drink tea while in the rift. 😞 ...

Just pour your tea into a soda pop bottle. Problem solved. :lol:

Tell me how great that straw idea is when you have a soda straw stuck painfully up your nose! 😮

I have no problem looking at the Tuscany rafters while drinking from my 2-liter bottle of Mountain Dew. :mrgreen:

Emanu
Honored Guest
wouldnt the warm tea warp the soda bottle? but thats enough OT 😉

Another observation : I noticed the 3D-effect of the rift starting to "wear off" a bit, and im not as wowed as I was a week ago, but its really wierd to play a regular game now. Something is missing. Very interesting.