cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Oculus notes thus far.

Emanu
Level 2
Hey everybody. Ive been playing around with the Rift for five days now, Loving it even though Ive been getting a bad case of sim-sickness. Seems to be getting my "VR legs" now tho. Or its the motion-sickness-meds I took yesterday... ๐Ÿ˜›
My notes so far, maybe someone else will find these useful or worthy of discussion:

-my IPD is 61.0 , though it doesnt seem to make much difference when calibrated. too close to the baseline of 63 to be noticable?

-Realism is boring. In all examples Ive tried so far it falls too close to the uncanny valley. Stylized (TF2) or even all-out trippy is more exciting, take the chance to create what doesnt exist IRL.

-Cockpits especially and player body in a lesser degree helps with simulator sickness.

-Its impossible to drink tea while in the rift. ๐Ÿ˜ž

-Towering architecture is cool

-In the contrast between things up close and far away is where the real VR magic happens. Exiting the starting building in TF2 badlands is prime example.

-Slow movement is best suited for VR.

-good FPS is key.
10 REPLIES 10

drash
Level 7
I like your notes! Very insightful. Totally agree on towering architecture being awesome.

I might suggest using a straw if you want to drink something, though! ๐Ÿ™‚
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

Emanu
Level 2
Thanks Drash! Nice to hear, I was undecided about whether it was too trivial to post or not ๐Ÿ™‚

and as for the straw, def going to prepare my workspace with a bunch, I was woefully unprepared today...

EAPidgeon
Level 2
Sorry to hijack your thread a little like this, but you mentioned that the baseline IPD was 63? Is this for the Rift, as another thread mentioned 64 IPD, and I just used a online site, and a tool which measures glasses frames to calculate my IPD ~66. I'm wondering if I will necessarily have to do any massive changes if it's 64/63 immediately.

Never expected it to process so soon :lol:

Emanu
Level 2
The Tuscany demo was defaulted at 63, and I _think_ that the TF2 calibration used that as a starting point too, but im not 100% on that.

EAPidgeon
Level 2
"Emanu" wrote:
The Tuscany demo was defaulted at 63, and I _think_ that the TF2 calibration used that as a starting point too, but im not 100% on that.

Alright, so it's maybe 63, thanks for the quick response Emanu ๐Ÿ˜„

Frooxius
Level 2
I encountered the drinking problem as well when I first started playing, quickly brought a straw! ๐Ÿ˜„ However I broke one glass accidentally, now I'm way more careful.

tlopes
Level 2
In my understanding of the SDK, version 0.2 changed the hardware IPD to 63.5mm and the default user IPD to 64.0mm.

Also I totally agree with you that tall, towering objects feel really (big) cool whether you're standing on top of them looking down, or standing under them looking up.

geekmaster
Level 4
"Emanu" wrote:
... -Its impossible to drink tea while in the rift. ๐Ÿ˜ž ...

Just pour your tea into a soda pop bottle. Problem solved. :lol:

Tell me how great that straw idea is when you have a soda straw stuck painfully up your nose! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

I have no problem looking at the Tuscany rafters while drinking from my 2-liter bottle of Mountain Dew. :mrgreen:

Emanu
Level 2
wouldnt the warm tea warp the soda bottle? but thats enough OT ๐Ÿ˜‰

Another observation : I noticed the 3D-effect of the rift starting to "wear off" a bit, and im not as wowed as I was a week ago, but its really wierd to play a regular game now. Something is missing. Very interesting.