cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My VR Lens Lab lens

Bigtime88
Protege
I've been wearing contact lens while using rift, which hasn't been too much of an issue but I only have daily disposable contacts for sports and social stuff. My glasses don't fit inside the HMD.
I ordered a pair of lens from VR Lens Lab, and chose the blue guard and new RABS type option lens to minimise distortion.

Just tested them out and am pleased to say I am very happy with them. My prescription is -1.75 left eye, -3.75 right eye, and I also need +1.75 for close up. The lens only needs to fix distance viewing AFAIK and using my rift it's perfectly clear, or as clear as it's ever going to be.
I know what barrel distortion is and know from using varifocal glasses you need to keep looking through the center. Not noticed any distracting distortion with these in the few games I tried.

9 REPLIES 9

brackus1
Protege
Overpriced.  VR Lens Lab wants you to pay $150 USD after adding blue coating and high index options.

You can get the same options and more at Zenni Optical for $50 bucks or less.

Nonameo
Explorer
I live in Sweden and here most garages sell these really cheapo focal length glasses, a bit tricky finding the right pair, yet you make a big saving and they fit.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Nonameo said:

I live in Sweden and here most garages sell these really cheapo focal length glasses, a bit tricky finding the right pair, yet you make a big saving and they fit.

Those are usually reading glasses, for correcting farsightedness.   I doubt many people are so far sighted they can't focus in the rift at about 1.5 meters.

leo1954au
Adventurer
You notice lens lab don't sell the lens adapters without lenses if they did I would buy the adapters and have my Optometrist fit lenses to them

threedprof
Honored Guest
I, too, bought a pair of the VR Lens lab lenses.  I love the convenience of not shoe-horning my flex-frame glasses or popping in contacts.  The downside is the peripheral barrel distortion is too noticeable and it's a weaker prescription than my glasses.  it's like going between my glasses and not having any eye wear.  The anti-glare coating was also a bit marred in spots right out of the box.  I don't think this affected the visuals within the headset though.

I'd give them a 3 out of 5.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

brackus1 said:

Overpriced.  VR Lens Lab wants you to pay $150 USD after adding blue coating and high index options.

$150? Sounds like BS to me. I paid less than £70 for the prescription lenses, with blue coating and they transformed my VR experience.

VR Adapter / Lenses

€78.00 EUR1€78.00 EUR
At today's rate that is $84 - back then it was even less.

Including 20% VAT and delivery

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

brackus1
Protege

Brixmis said:

brackus1 said:

$150? Sounds like BS to me.

You're right.  My numbers were off.  The price is actually much higher.

VR Adapter with lenses  +39
Prescription Lenses  +29
RABS Premium Lenses +20
Blueguard Coating +29
Higher Index +30
TOTAL: 147 = $183.00 USD

TC1999
Adventurer
I just had my VR Lens Lab adaptors arrive and for me they are great I can see a more detail and has made reading text a lot easier. 

I did have all the bells and whistles like blueguard and RABS total cost with deliver around £100, sounds like a lot compared to say paying £65 for a pair of glasses but this is so much more convenient and comfortable.

They fit well and so far have stayed happily in place. 

My prescription is not that strong and I don't need a higher index but even so it has transformed my enjoyment of vr and compared to the thousands spent on it it's probably the cheapest upgrade and in some ways the most effective. 

Percy1983
Superstar
I got a pair of £6 glasses from https://www.selectspecs.com/cheap-glasses/ (Savannah 8121) and they are too wide as such much fit the lens rather nicely.

As it is all mine (I have 5 pairs) are funky colours for everyday use, but next time I order I will order a black pair and remove the arms and stick them in as the current work perfectly if I squeeze them in with a bit of messing getting it on my head.

Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w