cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first evening with the Rift.

Huambo81a
Protege
I'm just going to throw my feelings on paper as they occur to me, a random train of thought if you will.

BOX
Well packaged with a premium feel.

SETUP
Ridiculously easy to setup, far easier than expected.

FIRST PLAY
The resolution feels the same (its close) to my Galaxy S6 on my Gear VR. SDE is similar to that device (Samsung use amazing screens)

Dream deck demo was ok. I enjoyed the Batman-esque building demo, looking down at the cars. And the TRex demo was great too.

Watched Henry, very enjoyable by this time I'm noticing the limitations of the lenses, and the God Ray effects. Not bothered by them though . . . It's the experience that matters most.

Next just Assetto Corsa.
Looks terrible, so I do some research and find out that I need to turn off the in game AA and Post Processing, and go into the Oculus.initial file and change pixel count to 1.5.

After these changes it's fantastic . . . . The reason I purchased a rift can be summed up by what I spent my time doing:-

A Lotus 49, no driver aids, around the Nordchleiffe. . . . THIS is VR. Sold

NEGATIVES
Nothing in life is perfect and it's the same with the Gen 1 consumer rift.

My lenses look cloudy, like there are bits of dirt on the screen all over in certain lights, i thought i hadnt removed the plastic covers, but I had.They also look slightly reddish in dark scenes. I'm not too bothered though, unless I find out this isn't normal.

All in all a good experience. I had my expectations in check, and it's a good product.

Final thought, every game ran perfectly on my GTX970 apart from Pcars, which I had to run on low. Was still fun though. I have a 1080 on the way anyway.

7 REPLIES 7

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Exactly my thoughts but I didn't know that about AC? Could you run through what changes you made mate? And you are right, if you look past the limitations it's a great bit of tech.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Huambo81a
Protege
Yes of course. Check this out

http://www.riftracer.co.uk/guides/assetto-corsa-oculus-rift-setup/

Essentially turn off AA
Turn off all Post Processing
Turn off Vsync
Unlimited frames
In the Oculus.ini file, set the audio to 1 (so it comes through your Oculus headphones) and the pixel density to 1.5, or higher with a better card.

It looks much better.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Thanks mate 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Huambo81a
Protege
No worries. It's a better driving experience than Pcars, and I think the scale is better.

blanes
Rising Star
I did some racing in AC last night with those settings.  AA & PP off and pixel density of 2.0 in the oculus.ini file in the cfg directory. There is some shimmering due to AA off but otherwise the image is very clear & sharp/bright. 

Darkshade
Protege
I hope you took it out for dinner first.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Yup tried it and the clarity is way better and it's not washed out or anything. I did get a little nauseous leaning into the corners as the car turned in but much much better 😉 and I'll buy dinner on our second date lol