cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M

KC130280
Level 2
I am planning to purchase a new notebook for Oculus rift consumer version.
Would NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M suffice? The mobile version....
53 REPLIES 53

cybereality
Level 15
NO. Please DO NOT buy a laptop to use for Rift. Most laptops DO NOT work at all. Especially if they have Optimus, they're pretty much guaranteed to be broken, but even some without Optimus have problems. It's recommended to use a powerful desktop machine. If you really need a laptop, look for the ones with the desktop GTX 980 chips in them (NOT 980M).
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
Must say i am suprised how people in here answers on OP question (actually don't quite answer 🙂 )

I have nothing to do with programming or pc tech etc and even i know what is this all about (or at least i think i know :lol: ). This issue has 2 aspects:

1. The main aspect is what your hdmi output is connected to. In some laptops (very few) hdmi is connected directly to graphics card (like some asus rog laptop, not all of them either, depends of generation and to be honest is very haotic which pc has optimus which is not). In such case you won't have any issue like you won't have any problems with desctop pc cause in desctop pc you connect your screen to graphics card hdmi output and not to mainboard hdmi output (if you wanna use graphics card ofc). If hdmi is not connected directly to your graphics card (to make use internal graphic power and switching to graphic cards power only when needed - battery saving), then you wil get problems all the way and such laptop wil be just waste of money.

2. So if you have found out if you laptop's hdmi is connected directly to graphic card, you need to consider the second aspect. Which is that laptop version of graphic cards does not have same power ofc as desctop full version. That's why you wil have problems with some heavy games - mobile version of graphic card wil simply won't have enough power to give you enough fps in some heavy games.

So simple it is as i found out.

Btw, another thing you should consider is cpu. In most games it's not as important as graphic cards but some games require a lot of it like Elite Dangerous. So all in all if you don't have option of buying of desctop pc (travelling a lot, small place etc), i wouldn't buy laptop or first version of VR (neither oculus or vive). I would just wait til next gpu generation and then would buy both laptop (with hdmi issue cleared ofc) and VR.

PS. I may be mega wrong but in such case i and many other diletants demand explanation from pro people what is this exactly about :lol:

PS2. I have just read some posts in other threads and see that this question was already answered by Cyber and some other one in february. My bad, i didn't know that this issue has been explained much better than i did 😄 , i haven't been around this forum for months. Unfortunately i use dk2 very seldom cause of glasses i guess.

bfanini
Level 2
I cant. I've already read other discussion threads on Desktop VS Laptop.
I need a laptop for portability, use it for 3D dev and related, never on battery and I dont care about having super-high FPS on the latest super-duper VR-enabled game with everything on max.

Again,
since I cant find an UPDATED list on VR-enabled laptops:

1) has anyone here tested the DK2 on a Alienware 17 w/ 980M, and what are the issues (if any encountered)

2) Another one that others tell is working fine is Asus ROG G751JY (no optimus), can anyone confirm or tell any issues?

3) Your thoughts about MSI GT72S w/ 980M (no optimus?): has anyone here tested it?

cybereality
Level 15
There is a list, here: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/noteboo ... ce-gtx-980
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

r00x
Level 5
"bfanini" wrote:
I cant. I've already read other discussion threads on Desktop VS Laptop.
I need a laptop for portability, use it for 3D dev and related, never on battery and I dont care about having super-high FPS on the latest super-duper VR-enabled game with everything on max.

Again,
since I cant find an UPDATED list on VR-enabled laptops:

1) has anyone here tested the DK2 on a Alienware 17 w/ 980M, and what are the issues (if any encountered)

2) Another one that others tell is working fine is Asus ROG G751JY (no optimus), can anyone confirm or tell any issues?

3) Your thoughts about MSI GT72S w/ 980M (no optimus?): has anyone here tested it?

Not quite what you're after, but this guy claimed his Alienware 15R2 works: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/48xi0c/the_steamvr_performance_test_seems_to_feel_rather/d0...

It really is best listen to Cyber on this one. If you have to get a laptop, get one of the few with the full-blown 980, NOT the 980M.

Otherwise you may find, if you can even get it to work with the DK2, it may stop working or not work well enough with the final Rift hardware.

bfanini
Level 2
"cybereality" wrote:
There is a list, here: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/noteboo ... ce-gtx-980

Thanks... as imagined, prices are incredibly high (~3.000/4.000 eu) :cry:

bfanini
Level 2
"r00x" wrote:

Otherwise you may find, if you can even get it to work with the DK2, it may stop working or not work well enough with the final Rift hardware.

It's all in your meaning of "does not work well", my personal crucial point is:
1) "Does not work well" as "You cant get robust 90fps on latest AAA titles with very high details" = I DONT CARE
2) "Does not work well" as "The Rift is not even recognised by the OS" = I CARE

cybereality
Level 15
"bfanini" wrote:
"Does not work well" as "The Rift is not even recognised by the OS" = I CARE

Yes, more likely this case.

betc
Level 4
Hi bfanini, trying to stay on topic here, i dont own the alienware you are asking about so i cant answer to that.
i do have a laptop so here is what i can talk to...

i have a Clevo chassis laptop 375 SM with 2 x 880m SLI GPUs, i think a single 980m is 30% faster than a single 880m..

I play Elite Dangerous on low settings with 1.5 Super Sampling (basically takes it to the resolution of the CV1) This system has no trouble running it above 75fps pretty much all of the time. you can run on medium settings, but not high. running on medium has a few more bits that slow down. Point is, its just on the boundary of "totally playable". a single 980m would obviously be a bit slower than 2 x880m so there would be a bit of drop, but as mentioned i have some head room. its hard to say if DX12, Win10, nVidia VR drivers when they eventually come out, will help things out by a nice enough margin to say that getting a single 980m now, will suffice when games are made for VR this year and onwards.

To me, its not about having the detail turned to ultra or die, but i cant stress how important horse power is for VR, it goes without saying that desktop equivalents schite on mobile GPUs. fps slow downs can make you feel sick, they arent nice at all. these are things you really dont notice when playing non VR games, but you try turning your head in VR having judder and rubber banding - ew.

So, if you "have" to get a laptop no matter what...

> Get a second GPU above all else - never dropping below 90fps is the aim at 2160p resolution. and you can darn bet you wont be running on ultra.
> try to research if someone else has that system running in SLI or even that model laptop with 970m in SLI, or as your doing now..
> pray it works (seriously, there is so far no announced support so its a roll of the dice and on your head be it)

if you can, do your research to find out if someone else has a configured system by checking ED forums, here, nvidia forums etc

Valid points so far;
> Optimus is evil
> Alienware may not be the best choice due less configurable options ( at least look at Clevo chassis and see if they have no > optimus etc and use the money saved from alienware to get a second GPU )
> laptop support is a roll of the dice
> win10, SLI, oculus are a bit tricky atm, i really hope this gets better support
> get a full blown lappy with 980, not 980m
> wait for the new GPUs from Nv, 16nm FinFet, get dual 1080 GTXs desktop, get CV1, put SS on 2.0, weep with joy

that said, personally i love the lappy, i took my laptop to work yesterday and blew away about 15 people with ED and VR. once you get it working, its bloody awesome

pixel67
Level 3
Cyber, have any tests been run with the alienware graphics amplifier?