cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advise about buying used DK2

alexcrete
Honored Guest
Hi guys,

I am about to buy a used DK2 I am a liltle bit suspicious about the seller. Is there a easy to check if the DK2 is working without a computer ? Like by just plugging it to the wall ? 

Thanks 
Alex
9 REPLIES 9

cybereality
Grand Champion
I'd advise against getting a DK2 today, unless it's at a really cheap price. It would be very hard to test the headset without a full gaming rig setup.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

alexcrete
Honored Guest
I think the price is very low it's like 240$cnd. 
How long does it take to install it to a computer just to test it ?

cybereality
Grand Champion
The setup installation can take around 30 minutes or so for everything.
https://www3.oculus.com/en-us/setup/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wouldn't get a DK2 unless it's factory sealed and even then I wouldn't open it up and use it. It's going to be valuable to collectors in the distant future if it's still factory sealed and untouched by human hands.

If you want to get one because you need a VR headset to use then just save a bit longer and get a CV1 instead.

alexcrete
Honored Guest
yeah I hear ya. But the thing is I need a VR system not for gaming. I have 2 authistic liltles girl at home and we want to try the VR with them, because we saw in a congress that VR's can be very helpfull for them, we dont want to spend 900$ on something that can end up in the garage or loosing time and energy trying to resell it.     a 240$cnd for a dk2 is very less dramatic then 900$ see where i'm going ?

cybereality
Grand Champion
The only thing is that support has already ended for DK2. While it still may mostly work with the current software, there is no guarantee how long that will continue. Also, if the device becomes non-functional, there would be no way to get a replacement or help. So while it may seem cheaper, it's probably not worth it. 

HiThere_
Superstar
I suggest trying out and buying a VR headset for yourself, rather then for someone else.

If you're buying a VR headset for yourself, the first thing is to make sure your glasses can fit in it (the CV1 seems to have the most narrow faceplate of any high end VR headset, and no focus dial to make up for it).

If it's a used VR headset, make sure you check the state of the lenses because they scratch like nothing (although the DK2 was smart enough to have removable lenses, unlike the CV1).

I wouldn't buy a DK2 without a pair of (wired) Razor Hydra hand controllers (which are not supported by Oculus VR, but are at least supported by Steam), but that's just me.

Have you thought of buying a brand new Gear VR (around ~100 US$) and a (cheap used and outdated) second hand Samsung Smartphone for it instead : Unlike the DK2 that's something you CAN check right out to confirm if it's working, and the headset and it's lenses will be brand new... and supported (but no Touch controllers, and no positional tracking either). Make sure you buy the right combination of Gear VR and Smartphone model (or you'll get it wrong and they won't work together).

Would be nice if you had any friends/family who could share their VR headset with you for a bit, before you buy anything.

alexcrete
Honored Guest

Cyril said:

I suggest trying out and buying a VR headset for yourself, rather then for someone else.

If you're buying a VR headset for yourself, the first thing is to make sure your glasses can fit in it (the CV1 seems to have the most narrow faceplate of any high end VR headset, and no focus dial to make up for it).

If it's a used VR headset, make sure you check the state of the lenses because they scratch like nothing (although the DK2 was smart enough to have removable lenses, unlike the CV1).

I wouldn't buy a DK2 without a pair of (wired) Razor Hydra hand controllers (which are not supported by Oculus VR, but are at least supported by Steam), but that's just me.

Have you thought of buying a brand new Gear VR (around ~100 US$) and a (cheap used and outdated) second hand Samsung Smartphone for it instead : Unlike the DK2 that's something you CAN check right out to confirm if it's working, and the headset and it's lenses will be brand new... and supported (but no Touch controllers, and no positional tracking either). Make sure you buy the right combination of Gear VR and Smartphone model (or you'll get it wrong and they won't work together).

Would be nice if you had any friends/family who could share their VR headset with you for a bit, before you buy anything.

Hy Cyril,

As I mention in my last post it's a VR system we are buying for our 5years old and 4years old daughters which have autistic symdrom. Thats the reason why we are buying it for someone else.

The good news about this deal is the guy sell his kit with 2 extra sets of lense which they still sealed. So I believe it's a good point.

I never think about the Gear VR. But if I understand what you are saying (sorry for my bad english) there is no positional tracking 😕 we need that. The reason is autistic poeple seems to act totally different in a totally closed environement with absolutely no distraction except what there are earing and seeing in the VR. So all their mouvement need to be exactly as in the real life. Well thats what I understand from the congress I saw.

I wish I had a someone around me with a VR to try it out trust me haha. But I am from a VERY small town at the end of the world. Just to tell you no one in a radius of 500km around know what is a VR system.

But thanks to everyone who took some time to awnser me it's very nice of you guys .

Alex

alexcrete
Honored Guest

Cyril said:

Hi Cyril,

As I mentionned in my last post I am looking to buy a VR for my 5years old and 4years old daughter that have the Autism spectrum. So this why I am buying it for someone else.

The good news about the kit I am looking at is the seller have 2 extra lense kits wich still sealed. So I believe it's a good point.

For the gear VR I never think about it. It could be a good option but without positional tracking it will not be a good plan for the reason that we are trying to so if it will be benific as we heard it will be for our kids. They need a closed environement with all the natural head mouvement. From what I understood in a congress autism poeples act totally different in a closed and controlled environement so thats why we are trying out the system.

I wish someone close to me had a system and to try it and see if it's work with our daughters but sadly we are living in a very small town at the end of the world I doubt that I can find just a single person who knows what is a VR system in a radius of 500km haha.

Thanks to you for your time and everyone who took the time to awnser me it's much appreciated.
And sorry for my bad english.

Alex