cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needed: FOV standards and benchmarks

VizionVR
Rising Star
Please forgive the dry read.

We all agree that there needs to be some standardizations in place for VR. Many of these standardizations will happen as the technology grows, but there are two things that I feel needs to be an industry standard as soon as possible to avoid consumer confusion and assist the VR market to move forward as a single minded industry.
- FOV measurement
- Content benchmark

FOV measurement
Though field of view is a specific, measurable area, certain manufacturers are hesitant to release specific FOV numbers due to the many variables that may or may not apply to an individual's personal FOV. Because of this, there's been some confusion as to what defines a "field of view". Is it the manufacturer's specific set of measurements, or is it what the user, each with our own set of optical variables, can actually see.
I propose a way of setting an industry standard FOV measurement that can then be used to calculate your own personal FOV. To do this, I broke down FOV into two categories: Absolute and Personal FOV.

- Absolute FOV (or AFOV, if you will) is the maximal viewable area (horizontal degree by vertical degree) of a particular HMD display as viewed from a specific, industry agreed upon distance from screen to eye, and with a specific, industry agreed upon IPD.
    This creates for the industry a highly accurate tool by which all manufacturers can use to not only mark manufacturer achievements, but to help set industry-wide goals.

- Personal FOV (or PFOV, if you will) is a calculation based on AFOV but replaces the industry agreed measurements with user specific measurements.
    This creates for the user a close approximation of the FOV of a new HMD without need for a demo, thereby easing market confusion and consumer stress.

Content benchmark
Though VR is an infant technology it will require, at least for the next couple generations, other technologies (both hardware and software) that aren't yet specifically suited for VR. I propose benchmark content to assist in measuring an HMD's recommended requirements against currently available technology.

For every newly proposed commercial HMD, there should be made available benchmark experiences that incorporates manufacturer's recommended requirements. For instance, an Oculus-created benchmark that runs perfectly with CV1 recommended requirements.

This will assist the user in determining if their PC will be powerful enough to handle new VR hardware. This will, of course, be an approximation since a monitor must be used in place of the proposed HMD, but by increasing graphic intensity to mimic that of the HMD, a theoretical assessment can be achieved.

These benchmarks will assure the consumer that the recommended requirements are indeed viable, thereby helping the consumer make correct decisions regarding PC upgrades.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Constructive feedback is appreciated

edited for grammar
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
1 REPLY 1

Anonymous
Not applicable
I second that!

Absobloodylutely! :idea: 🙂