cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbook + CV1 + GTX 1070 = Success!

IGameArt
Protege
So I have a Notebook PC, it's essentially an 11" Clevo W110er with the following specs:

• Intel Core i7 3630QM (2.4 GHz Turbo Mode to 3.4Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache)
  • 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB with NVIDIA Optimus Technology
My Oculus Compatibility Test passed on all but the GPU and CPU sections. Clearly my i7 processor will be sufficient enough to power most games without too much hassle, but the GT 650M is where my trouble lies, that and the hdmi port on my notebook is a part of my integrated processor and is completely unrecognizable to my CV1, therefor rendering my ability to even use the device null and void.

So, here is where my experiments begin. It's clear that I need a new GPU, specifically the GTX 1070 that I just ordered. The problem is getting it to sync with my laptop. To do that, I recently placed an order for something similar to the image below:

This kit will allow me to fit a full sized pci-e card into this dock, attach it to a separate power supply, and fit it directly into the pci mini slot that my wireless network card is currently occupying. The only real issue is that i'll have to leave the back off of my laptop or drill a hole big enough to fit the cord through.

Here is a video of a very similar set up being put to the test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQXkd9FRY1k&nohtml5=False

I've read comments that Cybereality has left stating that the Oculus isn't supporting mobile graphics architecture, so to me this seems like a pretty fantastic way to bypass that and still have a fairly portable VR getup. Not only do I add more graphics power, but also that important "HDMI port on a dedicated graphics processor" that I'm so desperately needing.

I'll be documenting my processing in this thread as soon as all of my hardware has arrived, so stay tuned!

13 REPLIES 13

Bloodgroove
Honored Guest
This looks awesome!

KNP54
Heroic Explorer
Since you already ordered the EXP GDC, let me know if it works for you. It didn't work for me 😞

I tried it with EXP GDC Beast v8.0 + GTX780 + DK2 + runtime 0.8 + Windows 10 Pro 64 bits
But my laptop was way too old (Acer Aspire 5535) and every DK2 demo I tried was too much judder (Titans of Space reported around 37-38 FPS)

Might be the CPU or the fact that the GPU runs at PCI-E v1.1 @ 1x with this setup.

If your setup works I suggest this box to put in the GPU and power supply:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-150x160x275mm-2014-new-electronic-project-box-pcb-holder-electri...
It has the perfect dimensions but of course you'll need to drill/punch all the holes yourself.
Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, Deepcool Castle EX 360, 32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600MHz, Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, Asus ROG Strix 3080ti, Corsair HX1000, Western Digital SN850 M.2 NVMe 2TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB & 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Corsair 4000D Airflow, Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 @ 100Hz, Acer V287K 3840x2160@ 60Hz, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest 2 256GB.

IGameArt
Protege
I have a 3d printer and was thinking about making some kind of thing that would stabilize the whole thing in a more fashionable and breathable case

IGameArt
Protege
Just got the confirmation for the shipping of my adapter finally.

And a step by step installation guide for those of you who are curious how the adapter works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQXkd9FRY1k&nohtml5=False

IGameArt
Protege
You have no idea how happy I am to report that I have successfully equipped my tiny netbook with a gtx 1070, and ran a few demos on my oculus after letting it sit in my closet for close to a year!

cybereality
Grand Champion
You gotta share a picture or something, because that is unbelievable.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Sakkura
Heroic Explorer
How much performance bottlenecking are you getting from the PCIe 1.1 x1 connection? It ought to be pretty severe with a 1070. Otherwise it's a viable enough solution if the Rift isn't bothered by the chipset and adapter latency.

It would make A LOT more sense to me running off a PCIe 3.0 x4 connection through an M.2 slot though.

IGameArt
Protege
If I had other options with my rig, I would definitely use them. But my netbook is pretty limited, only available expansion port is the mpcie. I'll get pictures and video up when I get off of work.

ftwelve
Explorer
Sorry to revive an old thread, but How has this continued to work out for you after the initial testing? I have the exact same laptop (I have a I7-3920XM int it) and was thinking about doing a similar setup, as my main PC is way to big to lug around to show off the Rift to people.