cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Motion Seat from YAW

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Another motion system for immersive entertainment with the new Yaw2 - the questions has to be, as with Virtuix, will this be a platform first for commercial entertainment VR, and then for home?

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
44 REPLIES 44

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Looks great - better than the first Yaw - but the WAF probably still isn't high ... Also I'm more into VR where you walk - this looks to be targeting mostly simmers (getting HOTAS for Squadrons must be enough for me, lol). 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Now, how can i convince my better half that this will be perfect for her back problems, then once in the home convince her it is not working so she never uses it. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Even though they've had one rig released, I'm still iffy on expensive VR kickstarters. The track record for them overall isn't good. (Coming up on the 7 year anniversary of the estimated shipping date for my missing PrioVR)

(A bit like "Sixense already had the Hydra, of course Stem will succeed") 🙂

It does look interesting. Although one of the things that I really liked about the Yaw design was the small area it took when not in use. It would be hard to convince my work to set aside room for a Yaw2, but a Yaw would be easy to take to a classroom and set up when needed.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was tempted by this but as @kojack has said above, size that it takes up is going to be an issue for me. My flat is tiny. I think I'll wait until the Kickstarter begins before I decided whether to order my Yaw 1 next month or not. But the size that the thing takes up is going to be an issue for me.

The Yaw 1 can be taken apart in about 15 minutes and is quite easy to store - it'll fit under a desk once it's all packed up - and it's VERY light too, weighs something like 20kg so it's easily portable as well.

I can put it all together in 15 minutes, use it, take it apart in 15 minutes and put it away again.

The Yaw 1 isn't perfect by any means, there are plenty of minor issues with it, but it's looking like a solid buy for me at the moment considering the small space I have in my bedroom for such a thing.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

It seems that many posters have agreed that this looks cool, but they are not sure it fits their consumer VR needs. Space, operation and pricing all play there part. This seems a repeat of the Yaw1 situation. Long waits for hardware, inability to achieve the full potential promised and creeping costs. 

Looking at this new business plan from Yaw there is a major change. They seem more focused on Enterprise from the start, avoiding the "focused only for consumer" comments made last time. In reaching out to our industry for support also suggests like other VR dev's, depending on the promises of the consumer VR community is not enough to pay the bills. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I backed it!

backed.png

You just want to move the dress on that sweet innocent woman! 

RuneSR2_0-1619203200405.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad I'm not the only one 😂

Annoying thing is that I was in such a rush to get a good deal that I didn't take the time to read anything lol

I assumed that the $890 Early Bird price included the Yaw Platform so just clicked the chair add-on and pressed the buy button because I didn't want to miss out on a good deal.

So when my Yaw 2 gets delivered in September (assuming that it launches on time of course!) I'll only be getting a 2DOF motion simulator!!!

Not a big deal though I guess, I can always order one separately after launch from their website.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just realised two awesome things:

1) You can add things like the Yaw Platform to your pledge after you've made your pledge as long as you do so before the Kickstarter end date (6th or 7th June I think).

2) I think I've got room for a full 360 degree experience (just about!), I might need to move a couple of things around to do so, nothing too heavy, just my bedside cabinet and my stack of cat food and the cardboard box(!) that I use as a coffee table lol 😂 I do have an actual coffee table but it has a glass top so I have it well out of the way just in case I have a hypo and collapse on top of it! 😲 It's got my laptop, Rift S and HOTAS sitting on top of it at the moment.

If I haven't got my maths wrong (and I'm **bleep**e at maths so I might have calculated wrong or forgotten about something) financially It's looking like this:

So I've pledged $1420 which includes delivery. The Yaw Platform plus shipping is $520, so that's $1940 altogether.

On top of that I need to add 20% VAT and 5% Customs fees (it's actually 4.9% but 5% makes it easier lol).

So 25% of $1940 is $485 which brings my total to $2425.

My credit card company charges a 3% fee for currency conversion so I need to multiply that by 3 and divide that result by 100 to get 3%. That gives me $72.75.

So that's $2497.75 altogether and that converted to Pound Sterling is 2497.75 multiplied by 0.72 which gives me £1798.38.

So have I got any calculations wrong or forgotten anything? Don't want to get surprised by a huge bill because I've forgotten anything lol 😲😂😂😂

I'm guessing that some courier companies are being knob-ends and charging extra at the point of delivery due to Brexit? Or will they treat it as a normal delivery if the Yaw people have the correct paperwork with the thing? Haven't had a delivery from Europe for ages so have no idea of the extra costs!

Thanks in advance for any help! 😎😁😎