cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Motion Seat from YAW

kevinw729
Level 16
Another motion system for immersive entertainment with the new Yaw2 - the questions has to be, as with Virtuix, will this be a platform first for commercial entertainment VR, and then for home?

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
44 REPLIES 44

@kevinw729 wrote:

The YAW team have really got behind a Out-of-Home entertainment version - especially what happened with the YAW1. 

Smart move for the YAW team, as it allows them to limit manufacturing and production to a much smaller supply (cost savings) as well as charge full commercial price and, most importantly, shift the risk of profit loss over to the business/facility that buys it from them.

It will be the business/facility trying to recover the upfront cost (and any ongoing maintenance/support fees), and it will be the business/facility dealing with the consumers and all the inherent risks.

The YAW team has basically shifted their strategy to limit their own financial loss by transferring that risk over to someone else. Now the question remains: How many VR facilities will take on the risk?

As a side note, it is interesting that we're in 2021 and the OOH sector doesn't already have a plethora of these motion seats already in the market. Mainstream VR launched in 2016 with racing SIMS, like Project Cars. So how does the OOH sector not already have a motion seat firmly established? 

Hopefully this works out well, to help avoid any further missed opportunities.

snowdog
Level 16

Well that's over $2.5m raised with plenty of time to spare!

Pretty crazy how fast and how much money they've raised for this thing. 😲

Hope there aren't too many delays for this thing, it took them a couple of years to sort out deliveries for the first one if I'm remembering correctly, but they've now got a factory capable of producing 200-300 units per month (I suspect that's where the money from their investors went towards) and learnt some valuable lessons regarding manufacturing over the last few years so hopefully they'll be able to get through these orders quickly.

I'm still not sure if I'm going for the G+ Platform, depends on how much it's going to cost. I'm setting myself a $500 limit I think. It's definitely on my radar because when they launch the XY Platform next year and I get that too, I'll end up with a 6DOF motion simulator which will be AWESOME 😎😁😎

Plus a small delay will give me a chance to pay off some of that money off my credit card before it arrives. 😁

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

snowdog
Level 16

New mystery last-hour Stretch Goal!!!

8f8633278f3a204adf0a34f0cedbda22_original.png

😲😁😲

These next 40 minutes or so are going to be exciting, it's going to be TIGHT (ooh-err missus)!!! 😎😁😎

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

snowdog
Level 16

Done with plenty of time to spare and a nice final touch for a memento as the last Stretch Goal:

70dd8bb3ccc7182d362e7d69609ddf4d_original.png

A total of $2,734,634 raised. Awesome!

Can't wait until September now, I've wanted one of these things since motion sims first started appearing in the 80s! 😎😁😎

snowdog
Level 16

Just filled in my backer survey 😎😁😎

Decided to go for the black and red one for my choice of colour. 😎

And they've posted a new update including plenty of pics here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/346206518/yaw2-motion-simulator-and-smart-chair/posts/3218671

They've increased the roll angle to 20° too, so (I think!) that it'll now roll 20 degrees to each side, giving 40° of roll altogether. Noice! 😲