cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nvidia driver has VRSS!!! - 8x supersampling!! - Foveated Rendering!! - RuneSR2 where you at??

SkScotchegg
Level 11
Guys it's finally here!!! read reddit post for full details

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/ekvpga/incoming_nvidia_driver_to_include_vrss_variable/

Offical info here from Nvidia: - Scroll half way down page. This can explain it all better then I can.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-geforce-ces-2020-game-ready-driver/

RuneSR2 where are you??? Rune is going to go crazy with this...

I can just picture it now...RuneSR2 playing Index with 144hz 200% steam supersampling and now Nvida's new VRSS!! LOL  😛

I wondered why my drivers updated yesterday! I've just installed windows 10 again on a new M.2 mvne drive too so looking forward to trying this VRSS tonight with my Rift S + Boneworks.  😄
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
57 REPLIES 57

MowTin
Level 11

Well I am using Boneworks which is a supported game. It already looked mint on the Reverb so I am not sure how much more this would add to it. I guess it's more for making lower settings look better so you get a performance gain and improved visuals. As usual I go all in on visuals, screw performance.  😄

I also didn't see any difference. Maybe it's because everything was already highly supersampled. 

We need a really performance hungry game for a proper test. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RuneSR2
Level 16

MowTin said:

Well I am using Boneworks which is a supported game. It already looked mint on the Reverb so I am not sure how much more this would add to it. I guess it's more for making lower settings look better so you get a performance gain and improved visuals. As usual I go all in on visuals, screw performance.  😄

I also didn't see any difference. Maybe it's because everything was already highly supersampled. 

We need a really performance hungry game for a proper test. 

I have to look really carefully to see differences between Index res 150% and 200%, not sure I would notice anything beyond res 200 % (=ss 2.0) much. Same goes for CV1, where I don't think you'll notice ss above 2.0. 

VRSS might work wonders in a game like Seeking Dawn Index res 100 % - in that game you might be able to see a really great difference. The game is close to unplayable even just using Index res 100% 😉 - In that game, performance wise everything above ss 1.4 using CV1 is like  :#

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

SkScotchegg
Level 11

I have a RTX2060 Super, downloaded last night but I am not great on comparisons, I can run it on high shadows with 8X MSA. Do not see any other options to up in graphics section but I will say it runs very smoothly. I tried the shadows on high before but had to lower it because of stuttering. I have the Steam VR setting at 200 percent.

I am still loving Boneworks. So glad it was a success, now they can build on the foundations they laid for an even greater game. Have you seen the wharehouse section where the light comes on and you can see your full shadow.  So impressive, best one I have seen in any game and looks so real.

Mate I've not played this game enough the past two weeks and the last two days I played for nights for like 2 hours each night. I think I am on level 5, forgot the name. Sewers maybe?

The level before with then blue men were awesome! Also I experienced a face crab jumping at me out of a box for first time! It scared me so much!! I jumped out my skin! I was proper freaked out!

I can't give this game enough praise. It really does feel like Half Life and Portal Vibes but it's also it's own thing. The melee weapons are great, the rifles and pistols are great, the puzzles are fantastic and satisfying. I got stuck a couple of times and had to watch some walkthough on youtube lol.

I'm glad they're breaking records, this game has set a whole new benchmark for VR games. 

I have a few questions though. At end of last level I put my weapons in some blue circle thing? And then when i started next level those weapons are gone out of my inventory, how do I get those back?

Also on some levels you walk past square glass lock boxes with weapons in and you need credits to buy those weapons, how do I buy these weapons? Where do I get the credits from?

And lastly, the obvious one, the physics are amazing, I like pushing things with my hands, that feels so cool!  🙂

Oh and regarding your question you have to enable VRSS in Nvidia control panel for Boneworks.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Luciferous
Level 12
Ok so you dont get your weapons back each new level. The idea of the bin is that when you drop them in there you can use them in the sand box mode thereafter. Every level starts with no weapons. The dispensers are quite a clever idea. You do get to keep your ammo and ammo in this game is currency. 

So the start of a new level you put ammo clips in those slots as if they were currency. When you put the right amount in it goes to zero and it opens. Hence you get your weapons for this level. So its good practice on every level to get all ammo.

Now my son, ever the cheater, found a way to get around what weapons you can use in the sandbox by jamming open the door on the first level near the first bin just before the training weapons room. He then proceeded to take all weapons from the training room and deposit them in the blue bin. So now we have all weapons available in the sandbox mode. 

I enabled VRSS in the panel for boneworks, I guess I need to look at some fps comparisons, on and off.

SkScotchegg
Level 11

Ok so you dont get your weapons back each new level. The idea of the bin is that when you drop them in there you can use them in the sand box mode thereafter. Every level starts with no weapons. The dispensers are quite a clever idea. You do get to keep your ammo and ammo in this game is currency. 

So the start of a new level you put ammo clips in those slots as if they were currency. When you put the right amount in it goes to zero and it opens. Hence you get your weapons for this level. So its good practice on every level to get all ammo.

Now my son, ever the cheater, found a way to get around what weapons you can use in the sandbox by jamming open the door on the first level near the first bin just before the training weapons room. He then proceeded to take all weapons from the training room and deposit them in the blue bin. So now we have all weapons available in the sandbox mode. 

I enabled VRSS in the panel for boneworks, I guess I need to look at some fps comparisons, on and off.

Oh awesome thanks! Can't wait to play again tonight!! I will try complete this game this weekend, even though I'm not rushing.

I swear to god guys, I have had such a big smile on my face in so many great moments in this game.

It's been years since I have these kind of wow moments in VR.

Last night at end of level 4 when there's that massive round turning thing, I don't know how to describe it, but it was turning and I grabbed it and it pulled me up into the air and I looked down at my feet dangling as I was carried right over to the other side where you have to drop and fall to the ground! That was just such an amazing feeling to have in VR.

I really hope this company brings our more levels, more guns, more content, more DLC everything for this game.

And they sooooo should have charged more! I've paid £30 for other games that I've played once and then never again!

This game is so worth £50, without a doubt.

So when I complete the game we get a sandbox mode? What is the sandbox mode like? is it cool?

Also only last night did I finally get two pistols to duel wield like john wick, that was awesome too. Is there a way to reload without having to put down one of the pistols. I know if you press one of the buttons, I think y/b it lets you eject the clip from the menu but then how do we reload the pistols?

Also the assault rifle, is it an M4A1? They're awesome too, I had the one with the scope and the one with the green laser! So amazing!!

Have you guys tried knocking things over on desks with your hands? Like a cup or something? It sounds simple but I was doing this last night as well as opening doors and closing them with just my hands. I don't know why but this level of interaction just really adds to the immersion and makes it feels proper cool. In other VR games you always have to grab a handle and pull/push with the touch controllers grip buttons at the back but this is so much better!

Oh and once last question, how does slow mo work? How many seconds do we get when we press that button? Are you meant to keep hold of the A button and does this get upgraded later?

Oh and regarding the topic of the this thread...I didn't notice anything when I turned VRSS on? The game looks amazing regardless like, I guess I'll have to do more test with it on/off.

RuneSR2
Level 16
You've convinced me - I'm entering the Index Boneworks Portal too later tonight!  o:)

If you have a 1080/2060 or better the game should fly using Rift-S/Index res 200% (0-2xMSAA), and I'd doubt you'd see much difference using VRSS - but I'd love to be wrong. 

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB

Luciferous
Level 12
100 percent with you Mr Egg. The big wheel was fantastic (I spent a while trying to jam it with scaffold poles lol), as you say it is the small as well as the large interactions that make it very enjoyable. 

You should be able to go into sandbox mode from the main menu room even before completion of the game. I think if you look left when facing the main menu wall there is a panel where you can unlock it.  I think the key is somewhere in the room. I however have not played sandbox yet as wanted to wait for the end of the game. My son unlocked it. The idea is as you progress in the game you get more to play with in the sandbox. So for example if you are in the early levels you can only spawn enemies from those levels. (but again not played much with that yet) 

If you get to the warehouse level look for the bright light that switches on near a big suspended container and take a moment to look at your cool shadow. 

As far a I know there is no way to load both pistols whilst dual wielding and so it becomes a disadvantage to do so. I guess it would break the physics ethos if you could. However for single weapons you do not have to eject cartridges for quicker loading as by taking a new cartridge and whacking the old one will automatically eject it.

I never use slow mo, never did in Fallout VR either (targeting system). It just feels like cheating and making things too easy. Although I seem to knock it accidentally in panic sometimes and it gives me about 5 seconds of slow motion. You just press it once and it does not get upgraded as far as I know.

Agree that anybody with a RTX isn't going to notice much difference as it runs pretty well without VRSS.

RuneSR2
Level 16
More VRSS - looks nice - and probably a good thing - when I get a 3080 (Ti)  o:)

https://babeltechreviews.com/boneworks-iq-and-vrss-performance-review/