cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Oculus Forums Feedback Thread

ShowbizDonkey
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

Hello everyone! Welcome to the new Oculus forums! As I mentioned in my announcement post, I’d like this thread to serve as a place “forums feedback”. Please let us know how you’re finding the new platform, what is or isn’t working well for you, or what you think could be even better. If you have questions about the new platform, please leave those as well. I may not be able to answer everything, but I’ll try to jump in where I can!

So… what do you think?

314 REPLIES 314

snowdog
Level 15

I also haven't heard from Mr Zuckerberg about getting Cyber's old job and becoming the Forum Administrator yet. Maybe my job offer has been held up by the COVID-19 crisis. I'll give him a few more weeks before I REALLY start to kick up a stink.

Tell him I'm expecting a Harv Is King Of The Forums, All Kneel Down And Praise Me badge and a nice office with Zenbane as my PA. 😎😁😎

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

ShowbizDonkey
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

Updated the image upload limit to 10,000. Hopefully you're not at that limit too! 🙂

dburne
Level 15

And here we are. Going to have to explore a bit.

Whups gotta find the new block function... lol.

Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

A couple of cool things:

In the options menu of a thread you can get an RSS feed. So if you like RSS viewers for checking for updates to a favourite topic, could be useful.

The real time search when you write a thread title that looks for similar threads will hopefully cut down on duplicate help threads.

Search actually works. I can see threads I wrote by searching in the forum instead of using google.

Working search alone makes the change worth it.

On the other hand, like all of these modern forum things I have a massive amount of white space on either side.

I've already fixed signatures for myself, I've started on a new Greasemonkey script for this forum that fades out signatures so they look like part of the post. My old forum script doesn't work anymore (I should find that thread and close it), I may work on some similar behaviour (colour coding posts by admins/mods, dark mode, etc) when I get around to it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Richooal
Level 12

Nice to see that a facebook account isn't required (yet).

I don't know if the look is better, or just different, but I guess the back end is going to be better for the forum managers and moderators. It does look alright though.

I'll join the group asking for a better "signature". It seems that only 2 lines of text are allowed, and no pics. Agree that a better separation is needed.

It looks like pictures are not allowed in posts too. I use pics a lot in my posts to help explain things. Often pics are the best way to do it. (not referring to .gifs or memes)

EDIT: I just realised we can drag pics into the reply dialog. Better than nothing, but the old way was much more user friendly.

.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Of course there are probably going to be some teething pains as we get used to where everything is.

For example apparently moderators need to manually approve images (and avatars by the look of it) before they can be posted. I only just found where that is done, it's a bit hidden. If you see a yellow triangle with grey border instead of your image or avatar, that means it's waiting for approval.

There may also be anti-spam defenses that may take us by surprise. So things may be a little rough while we get the hang of it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Zenbane
Level 15

Looks like there is no Block button or Ignore option enabled at the moment. There is a Mute option, which I just experimented with... lol

The feature I'm most interested in is the "Friends" feature I just read about in the Forums help section. It says that you can create a Community within a Community with the feature. Sounds right up my alley! But the features don't seem to be implemented. For example, the instructions say that I can go someone's profile and click to add them to my Friend's List. However, I tried it on Tom to test it out, and no such option is there.

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Much better search.... and login works on all my devices 😊

Those are the two most important things I think and make the change worthwhile, I'm sure any other issues can be sorted out. Like everyone else, it'll take a while to get used to the new format.

With a good functioning search, perhaps we can (or maybe should) be a little more strict on duplicate threads now!

I'm quietly optimistic.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19043.1081)

Luciferous
Level 12

I'll give it a while to get used to but only a kudos button?  Not exactly very expressive and what we could have said with a button click like LOL or Awesome, will now result in threads filling up with people physically posting LOL or awesome when just a like doesnt seem enough.

Also is there a dark mode? couldnt see one? There seems to be a lot more white, I think I am going snow blind.

Not sure if its my small laptop screen but everything seems too big. I had to drop it down to 67 percent zoom to be a reasonable size.

Did take a while to get used the last forum when we switched from the original Oculus forum.

Yeah, lots of white space, too many pages (viewed on a PC)

Otherwise all working quite smooth. I'm sure I'll get used to it in a while.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.