cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Oculus Forums Feedback Thread

ShowbizDonkey
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

Hello everyone! Welcome to the new Oculus forums! As I mentioned in my announcement post, I’d like this thread to serve as a place “forums feedback”. Please let us know how you’re finding the new platform, what is or isn’t working well for you, or what you think could be even better. If you have questions about the new platform, please leave those as well. I may not be able to answer everything, but I’ll try to jump in where I can!

So… what do you think?

262 REPLIES 262

ShowbizDonkey
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

Hey folks -

First, just want to say thanks for all the great rapid feedback thus far. I haven't been able to respond to a lot of it just yet, but trust that I am reading it all and working on things behind the scenes. Wanted to jump in here to provide some various status updates on trending pieces of feedback, clear up misconceptions, or provide info on things that seem to be a little confusing. These are going to be in no particular order, so apologies for the scattershot nature of all this:

1. We filed a bug on the Load More button not working, as we have been able to reproduce that issue occasionally. No immediate update on progress there, but we're aware and working on it.
2. We've updated a couple different settings that should help with the being-signed-out-due-to-inactivity situation. As a result, you should get signed out less, or at least when you do, the friction to getting signed back in should be lower. We'll continue to poke at this and keep an eye on feedback around this one.

3. If you are signed in and start drafting a post or topic, the system should autosave a draft every 30 seconds. When you come back to that post or comment, you do need to click a little button to re-load your draft. This combined with the auto logout improvements should hopefully help with the confusion here.
4. Not being able to embed images or a youtube video should just be a permission I need to update. Looking into this. Need to find the right one and ensure we're clear to enable it for all users - I don't expect issues here. Just need a little time to investigate.

5. I agree that the recent activity sorting by post date rather than comment activity is a problem as it makes it hard to keep track of what posts have been recently commented on unless you're already subscribed to that thread. Will see what we can do here.
6. You can adjust hoe many comments you see per page within a thread. Click your avatar in the top right, select My Settings, then Preferences, then Linear Layout. Looks like the upper bound is 50.

ShowbizDonkey_0-1614376906160.png

7.  Similarly, you should have more granular control over notifications (including email notifications). My Settings > Subscriptions and Notifications > Notification Settings. There are a bunch of options so may take some dialing into get it just how you want it. Let me know if you all are having issues with this or the system doesn't seem to be respecting your selections and I can dig in further.
8. I noticed that some people were getting spammed with new badge emails out of the gate if they had posted a lot prior. I adjusted that setting so the default for badge email notifications is a weekly email covering everything you've earned rather than individual emails. Hopefully that alleviates some of the annoyance there.
9. Interesting feedback around wanting to turn off post preview text. I'm not sure what kind of control we have over that, but I'll look into it. FWIW, I personally like that preview text, but understand it can increase the amount of scrolling you need to do.
10. Good callout on mute / block options. Will need to followup with Khoros on this.
11. Same as point 10. re: dark mode option. Don't believe that's a default option we can turn on, but totally understand the desire.
12. We filed a bug for signatures not appearing separate from the comment body. We're looking into adding a horizontal line for separation and defaulting the signature text to a more greyed out look, similar to the old forums.
13. Understand the shift from multiple react buttons to a single Kudos button is a little jarring, but for now, we believe this will help keep things simple, potentially reduce some trolling / bad behavior, and help remove distraction from discussions or getting people the help / answers they need.

I think that's all I got for now. I'm looking into some other things separately, but TL;DR here is that "we're working on it." Keep the feedback coming!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

jab
Level 8

Feature wise it is looking very good. But I am already getting annoyed by all the page scrolling you get when combining 'modern' heavy white space design, large font sizes and post text previews. Not sure it is better design when the same information now needs like 3-4 pages more at least.

And yes, dark mode is a must.

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Dark mode? Working on it...

dark.png

But will take a bit, I hate CSS and HTML.

(Note: not an official thing and not part of the forum)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RuneSR2
Level 16

For now I'm no longer going to add new posts to older threads - as long as threads aren't moving to the top when new posts arrive, no one will ever notice new posts in old threads. Until that's fixed I think it's best to constantly start new threads - at least for posting news. 2c.

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

dburne
Level 16

I have all notifications turned off. My subscriptions shows  I have none.

I still get an email every time there is a reply to this thread.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

This is what my notifiactions page looks like...

Untitled-2.jpg

have you also unticked the 'Automatically subscribe me tickbox in preferences? just in case it keeps resubscribing you. Don't know what else to suggest unless it's just some setting that isn't being recognised in your case. We can stop posting anything here until you get it sorted.... queue flood of posts.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.867)

Can't seem to post image links, got a post flooding detected message and said to correct errors. Not sure what to do there...

Those first 6 lines in mine I have a checkmark in to turn off notifications. Also under subscriptions and notifications I have " my email is currently excluded from receiving notifications". 

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |

Zenbane
Level 16

Regarding sending private messages,

It looks like you cannot add more than 1 recipient to the message. That makes it difficult when trying to contact multiple people.

Also, it appears that none of the banned accounts transferred over correctly. I can only confirm that because I logged in today and had an unpleasant message in my Inbox from a previously banned user.

Overall, the forum looks good, but still needs a bit of work to get full functionality in place! 🙂

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

It seems that there are several accidental differences between the mod and non-mod accounts so I'm going to find it difficult comparing functionality here. I can definitely add multiple recipients to messages. I'd say it looks like there have been a shed-load of options built into the new forum with settings also having account-type dependencies, even if some settings should be universal.

Too many options can lead to a lot of bug fixing.

The unbanning of banned account is unfortunate but hopefully will be a quick fix, sorry for any problems you or anyone else gets in the mean time!

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.867)

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Part of my dark mode script now includes a checkbox to turn the thread previews on and off, in case you want less space taken up. There's also a checkbox for stretching to fit the window, if you don't like all the wasted space on either side. That may mess up some other formatting though.

I also fixed the formatting mistake in the kudos panel where the count overflows over the next user's name.

Oh no, I just noticed that odd thing where the post count icon is sometimes beside the count and sometimes above. That's not me, it's on the default page. Adding to the list...

Still a lot to do.

kEzcYQ0x74.png

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2