cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Oculus Forums Feedback Thread

ShowbizDonkey
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager

Hello everyone! Welcome to the new Oculus forums! As I mentioned in my announcement post, I’d like this thread to serve as a place “forums feedback”. Please let us know how you’re finding the new platform, what is or isn’t working well for you, or what you think could be even better. If you have questions about the new platform, please leave those as well. I may not be able to answer everything, but I’ll try to jump in where I can!

So… what do you think?

262 REPLIES 262

Zenbane
Level 16

One thing that I think is great is the landing page. The scrolling preview of Trending Topics is pretty awesome. In addition to the latest stats for my (your) account when logging in.

I think that, overall, this forum tech is a huge improvement over the vanilla forums. It definitely helps get rid of that 1990's bulletin board style and approach; which is very antiquated. There are obviously some features that need to get ironed out. But so far things seem to be on the right track! Looking forward to more enhancements.

RuneSR2
Level 16

Agreed that the new forum has potential, and the issues troubling me the most should be easy to fix. Like getting YouTube vids embedded - and getting threads with new posts on top in their respective categories...

Hmmm - maybe this will work 🍀

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fnCmUWqKo6g" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Level 16

Ah, close but no cigar... 😞

i7 7700K (4.5GHz); MSI GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100MHz gpu boost, 11GHz mem speed); 16GB 3200MHz; MSI Z270I (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 NVMe 128GB (OS) + Samsung 860 4TB SSD (games) + Toshiba P300 HDD 3TB (games); Win10; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 using super sampling 2.0.      "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

@Zenbane wrote:

One thing that I think is great is the landing page. The scrolling preview of Trending Topics is pretty awesome. In addition to the latest stats for my (your) account when logging in.

Agreed that the initial landing page after logging in is handy. Right now, you can't get back to that page once you navigate away from it--we're trying to get better access to it so it can be used as a "home page" of sorts. I'd like it even better if it loaded a full page of "recent activity" and allowed multi-page browsing of active threads from all categories, instead of the "Load More" function (like the old forum's Home page).

And of course, the sorting order based on most recent comment needs to get fixed--we can't have any real ongoing community discussions without that working.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

RuneSR2
Level 16

Although it's not the same as the initial landing page, this page does work ok-ish for me - at least I get an overview of new threads (but of course I got no clue about new comments to older threads):

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Oculus-Community/ct-p/oculus-community

Digikid1
Level 12

Also I have noticed a few threads have disappeared that shouldn't have.  In the off topic section the jokes thread is now gone as is the movies thread. 😡

The threads are likely still there, the problem is with the "sorting" on the Forum. Which I believe they are trying to fix (hopefully). For example, here's the lovely Films thread! 🙂

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Off-Topic/The-Official-Films-Thread/m-p/705568#M16705

Richooal
Level 12

I haven't yet found anything in the new forum software that is better for me (the user).

There seems like lots of things to be fixed to get "normal" forum browsing back to an acceptable level, I'm wondering now, just how far down the list of "to dos" is the release notes for PTC V26.

.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

For the end-users, the Search Engine is 100 times better than the older forum. The older forum's search capabilities was terrible. This Search Engine seems like it is powered by Google.

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Yeah, I had to google for a thread I created on the previous forum, even though I knew the title and keywords in the content, because the forum couldn't find it. This forum finds it fine. So that's good.

At least URL links still work (like one page linking to another). I didn't even have to change my signature. Although I did anyway, to remove the old forum tool and dark mode that no longer work.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2