cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Releases on Rift and Gear VR for August 25th

VirtuaJulian
Adventurer
There's a lot to check out this week on both Rift and Gear VR! if you have a favorite experience or one you want to check out, let us know in the comments! 

tl;dr:

Rift and Gear VR

Through the Ages
Galaxy Golf

Rift
Fearless
Worldly Cup VR

Gear VR
Shiny
Coastiality
Joan Jett VR
Scopic
“Teen Wolf” from TURBO SUPER NOW
Städel Time Machine

360 Photos Featured Destination: Breathtaking Panoramic Views In The Alps

Rift and Gear VR

Through the Ages
0r7rwh0ybp0n.png
President Obama Celebrates America's National Parks: Embark on a VR journey with President Obama in Yosemite National Park. Take in the president’s remarks as you explore every angle of the incredible surroundings of Yosemite, including El Capitan, the Cathedral Rocks, Mariposa Grove, Yosemite Falls, and the Merced River.
For more info, visit the Oculus blog
Developer: Felix & Paul Studios
Platform: Gear VR / Oculus Rift (coming soon)
Price: Free

lekar5h7o523.png
Tee off in another dimension with Galaxy Golf! Fusing miniature and traditional golf with a space age twist, you’ll work your way through the whimsical wayward planets and asteroids of faraway fairways.
Developer: Liftoff Labs
Platform: Oculus Rift and Gear VR
Price: $4.99

Rift

gvq66x478rmq.png
Inspired by the well-proven principles of exposure therapy, Fearless is designed to help you overcome your fears. In this early access version, you'll try to overcome your fear of spiders. NOTE: You can access the first set of levels for free. To complete the spider experience, there is an in-app purchase, which is $9.99 for a limited time. 
More Information: 
Developer: Fearless
Platform: Oculus Rift
Price: Free (includes in-app purchases)

415cwgph1bkb.png
Welcome to Worldy Cup VR, a fast-paced, old-school arcade soccer game with power-ups, super shots, team commands, multiplayer for up to 6 players, and a unique retro voxel 3D pixel art visual style. Play in many soccer field scenes including on the moon, mars, an ice field, during a meteor storm and many others. 
Developer: Stimunation
Platform: Oculus Rift
Price: Free (includes in-app purchases)

Gear VR

25ebzs7sdupw.png
Shiny is an audiovisual game experience designed exclusively for virtual reality. Import your own music and play levels, which are generated from the tracks of your favorite songs.
Developer: Ateo
Platform: Gear VR
Price: $3.99 

v5akc4g65py6.png
Want to visit some fun theme parks and ride some great roller coasters from the comfort of your home? With Coastiality, you can! Strap on your Gear VR and go!
Developer: Mack Media GmbH & Co KG

d81vzbwdxz91.png
Ever want to know what it’s like to be a rock star? Joan Jett VR teleports you onto the stage with Rock and Roll legend Joan Jett.  Experience what it's like to see the crowd from Joan's perspective and also view the concert only a few inches away from Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.
Developer: Sveer

Scopic
9bi06p3bx973.png
Scopic offers the finest array of high-end, must-see VR documentaries. From the award-winning documentary "Refugees," to an Hindu pilgrimage of faith, to hanging with Jimmy Nelson in exclusive remote places, Scopic transports you to places you didn't know existed.
Developer: Scopic

euxetw9o68x7.png
Turbo Super Now is the home for your favorite sci-fi and genre VR in the Metaverse. VR for movies, TV shows and even originals.  If it's cool and mind melting, you’ll likely find it here. First up is Teen Wolf VR. The story actually changes based on where you look. You may not notice, but if you look the wrong way... well, let's just say things do not end your way....
Developer: Moth + Flame

k04ijklg05g0.png
What did Frankfurt’s famous Städel Museum and its artwork look like in the nineteenth century? The “Time Machine” transports you to the art museum and how it presented its collection in 1878. Wander through the 3D reconstructions of the collection rooms and find out which of your favorite works were already in the museum back then.
Developer: STÄDEL MUSEUM

360 Photo App
afumv7uwdwhj.png

This week's featured destination in the 360 photo app is "Breathtaking Panoramic Views In The Alps". You can view a sample below, or on 360 Cities, or in VR for both Rift and Gear VR. 

ou43z417cj6z.jpg

View on 360 Cities

14 REPLIES 14

krectus
Protege
Hi, can someone explain why things are available on the cheaper, less powerful GearVR but not available on the more expensive, more powerful Rift?  I can understand why games would be available on the Rift but not GearVR but the other way around is baffling.

EliteSPA
Superstar
Start to regret of selling my Vive, sorry staff but those games and apps are crap! Plz show me that I made the right decision in selling my Vive and stay with Oculus....really disappointed in the release date of the Touch.... 

Hope to see the light soon!

Offtopic: Who is taking care of the forum? that guy should get fired, I need to signup 10 times to post a damn thing.
i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz

scopus7
Explorer

krectus said:

Hi, can someone explain why things are available on the cheaper, less powerful GearVR but not available on the more expensive, more powerful Rift?  I can understand why games would be available on the Rift but not GearVR but the other way around is baffling.

quite simple, gear vr is where most the market is, so thats where the developers go. No reason it wouldnt work on rift but guess they feel its just not worth it for them or they dont have resources to create for rift.  A reason why i keep both

scopus7
Explorer

EliteSPA said:

Offtopic: Who is taking care of the forum? that guy should get fired, I need to signup 10 times to post a damn thing.

yh i also find site pretty buggy. Something that work for me when that happens is sign out, clear cookies, sign back in

zboson
Superstar
I don't see Through the Ages in the Rift store yet.  I really want this!  There is too much crap for the Gear and not nearly enough for the Rift.

krectus
Protege

scopus7 said:

krectus said:

quite simple, gear vr is where most the market is, so thats where the developers go. No reason it wouldnt work on rift but guess they feel its just not worth it for them or they dont have resources to create for rift.  A reason why i keep both

Oh, ok, thanks.  If that truly is the reason than I implore anyone at Oculus who is reading this to take control of the situation and adapt as many GearVR submissions themselves to work with the Rift.  Like this Joan Jett app seems like it should have no issues working on the Rift, there's no reason that once it's submitted as a GearVR app that someone at Oculus can't test it out on the Rift and make it available in the Rift store.  If that is a complicated process for them than they truly effed up somewhere along the line.  If they don't want to do this to try to get people to own but the Rift and GearVR than shame on them for being evil.

scopus7
Explorer

krectus said:

scopus7 said:

krectus said:

Oh, ok, thanks.  If that truly is the reason than I implore anyone at Oculus who is reading this to take control of the situation and adapt as many GearVR submissions themselves to work with the Rift.  Like this Joan Jett app seems like it should have no issues working on the Rift, there's no reason that once it's submitted as a GearVR app that someone at Oculus can't test it out on the Rift and make it available in the Rift store.  If that is a complicated process for them than they truly effed up somewhere along the line.  If they don't want to do this to try to get people to own but the Rift and GearVR than shame on them for being evil.

Someone please correct me if im wrong but i dont think its up to oculus or a ploy to get people to own both, but It is the developers and their decision to develop/optimize only for gear. I also wish many gear apps  were available on rift as well and asked some if they would develop them for rift. Couple answers were they dont have a rift, maybe later in the future. And again a lot of it imo is that developers dont view it as profitable enough or worth it for them to create for rift so they just release on gear . Rift isnt very popular atm, but im sure once touch is released and starts becoming more widespread we should start seeing more volume of releases.

HiThere_
Superstar
Odds are you could run an android emulation that would run all Gear VR titles (and all Android based VR) on a PC that meets the minimum Rift Specs.

But why would you run Android level VR when you can run PC based Rift titles instead ? Well because there's not enough Rift titles available yet I guess...

The real issue is that software development takes time, and that we're right in the middle of switching from 2D gamepad input to 6D Touch input : The gamepad based titles developed a year ago are drying up, and the Touch based titles are waiting for the Touch hardware to be released somewhere in 2016Q4.

Truth is I wouldn't want to be playing Touch titles during Summer anyway 🙂

But I guess that after initially delaying the Touch controllers for an extra ~6 months, there was room for Oculus VR to provide a Gear VR emulator to the CV1 to fill up this void we are currently in, in 2016Q3... we're over halfway through it anyway.

krectus
Protege
It just seems to me that there are few technical limitations as to why a GearVR app wouldn't work with the Rift.  Unless someone can explain a good reason why the Oculus team can't adapt a submitted GearVR app to work on the Rift I have no choice but to assume it's cause Oculus wants to create two different "environments" for VR and two different "classes" and thus try to make more money this way by requiring Rift users to also buy a GearVR.  Oculus could and should be doing more to allow as many experiences as possible to be available on both platforms.  The fact that there are 3 times as many apps being released for the cheap GearVR than the expensive Rift is a slap in the face to all Rift users. If Oculus management are perfectly happy to have GearVR only experiences than that is pretty infuriating.