cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New medical issue - old whiplash injuries.

onefang
Explorer
I'm hoping this is the right place to put this, if not, feel free to move it.

I recently started developing with a DK2, and I have noticed a new medical issue that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere. I have an ancient whiplash injury (from the '70s, yes, I'm that old). Usually it's under control, though sometimes it flares up, and I get a pain in the neck. Strapping a brick to the front of my face seems to be making this old injury flare up more. I've had almost constant neck pain for the last week or so.

So I guess this is yet another medical history question we have to ask our torture victims, er I mean VR testers.

CV1 is supposed to be lighter, correct?
16 REPLIES 16

Salbrox
Explorer
If you had two DK2's you could put one on the back of your head to cancel out the weight!

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
Yeah, all hands-ons of the consumer Rift marvel at its lightness, you should be good there.

"onefang" wrote:

This is a reasonable question.

DK2 is 440g if I'm not mistaken, can we get the actual weight of CV1 from Oculus... or is it a trade secret at the moment?

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Salbrox" wrote:
If you had two DK2's you could put one on the back of your head to cancel out the weight!

Like having eyes in the back of your head! :lol:

bigmike20vt
Visionary
"onefang" wrote:
I'm hoping this is the right place to put this, if not, feel free to move it.

I recently started developing with a DK2, and I have noticed a new medical issue that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere. I have an ancient whiplash injury (from the '70s, yes, I'm that old). Usually it's under control, though sometimes it flares up, and I get a pain in the neck. Strapping a brick to the front of my face seems to be making this old injury flare up more. I've had almost constant neck pain for the last week or so.

So I guess this is yet another medical history question we have to ask our torture victims, er I mean VR testers.

I have got a trapped nerve, largely thanks to poor posture whilst using DK2.

There is probably a reason you are not meant to do 4hr stints regularly in it 😉

For me it was the bloomin left panel in ED cockpit. i spent too much time looking down and left with the HMD on.

much of the plastic casing in DK2 is replaced with cloth on CV1, and the mounting is meant to be better balanced.... I am not worried about that.

its a big issue however, and something i hope HTC fix with their vive consumer version compared to their DK.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

grodenglaive
Honored Guest
My neck cracks when I look up and to the right (with the dk2 on). :geek:
GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2

onefang
Explorer
"Tim74UK" wrote:
"Salbrox" wrote:

Like having eyes in the back of your head! :lol:

That would certainly help with my peripheral vision issues, double FOV FTW! B-)

Nedo
Explorer
Exercise this 3 times a week for 10min, and no problems anymore! :mrgreen:
Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016

onefang
Explorer
"nedo" wrote:
Exercise this 3 times a week for 10min, and no problems anymore! :mrgreen:

I have dreadlocks down to my knees, so I wont be needing the head harness. Now I gotta find a suitable 5Kg weight. B-)