Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New of Possible ¥5b VR Acquirsition

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_0-1630190521518.png

https://pandaily.com/bytedance-reportedly-buys-pico-for-5-billion-yuan/

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
59 REPLIES 59

Facebook's account requirements have been discussed and there are threads specifically for that topic.. .many threads in fact.

I don't think it's necessary for that discussions to be repeated again. Add comments to the existing threads. This thread is about a third party acquisition of another third party's hardware. Probably best to stick to that topic.

Also, @kevinw729 if you're going to do the subtle references to other members i.e. the painting in a bad light comment, don't be surprised when they comment in ways that you then deem necessary to complain about to the forum admin. Best to avoid that and stick to the subject that you have chosen.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Thank you for the input, and also not feeding the circle jerk to try and derail the discussion from the topic.

I think we all agree that we have yet to see what the reality of the 2023 mandatory login will be. Those trying to claim everything is great, avoid the current banning and the locking out of hardware and content that previously were claimed would never happen.
Its the rose-tinted glasses approach that made so many Rift-S owners angry when the obvious reality was revealed with their discontinuation. We need to be pragmatic. Oculus has achieved amazing things, but the issues in the background are still there, no matter the hue of sunshade. 

But back on topic - we are seeing a lot of interest in the Pico Neo 3 - though I still state the Guardian and controllers are not in the same league as Quest. Some are saying the optics and FOV are better, I have only used PN3 a few times, and will hold off judgement till the big trade event this month, (will write a review in VRF).

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Also please do not be surprised when favoritism that allows some posters to attack and other just to sit back and have to ignore this flairs up. Best you cool your urge to delete another forum post and ask direction from the Community Moderator - just some friendly advice as we are all calm here towards the "real topic". Have a great one. 

You just did exactly what I asked you not to do @kevinw729 with your very next comment subtly reference other posters instead of the topic, please don't ignore me,

thanks

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Now, I get that people get excited when a new VR headset enters the arena or major news regarding a company that makes them is unveiled. But I would like to remind people that just because the Pico Neo 3 is looking very appealing and currently doesn't require a social media account to use, this may not always be the case. Especially with the company now being owned by Bytedance.

I wish more people actually bothered to read the terms of service for stuff, let alone look into the companies involved. Just as it was inevitable that Oculus devices would at some point require a Facebook account from the moment FB bought out Oculus, it's likely inevitable that Bytedance is going to add a requirement for their social media services to the Pico HMD at some point. And with all the scummy things Facebook has gotten up to over the years due to Mark Zuckerburg thinking only his privacy matters, his company is a saint compared to Bytedance.

I'd hope people here in America wouldn't support companies like that. Then I remember that Tik Tok is excessively wildly popular here in the USA because people don't bother reading the terms of service or researching the companies involved. They just go "Oooh, shiny" and jump on the latest social media trend.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

ohgrant
Superstar

I have to take it back about wishing their new owners well after closer examination.  

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

cmat100
Adventurer

At first I was hoping the 'Pico would come to the west'.  I like the Quest,  it lets me use it standalone,  wired/wireless PCVR - This seems just like that, but as I'm not really a social media person (who would have guessed!!?? 🙂 ) I didn't realise at first that Bytedance was TikTok social media etc.

I think all Chinese companies have a CCP board member,  so that should indicate my trust of them.  But it looks like my quest for a Quest that doesn't give social media control of my senses goes on......

I've written it off now....unless it can be jailbroken etc.

@kevinw729 wrote:

not feeding the circle jerk to try and derail the discussion from the topic.

I think it is unfair to make it seem as if others are the ones who are derailing this topic considering it was actually you who went on the offensive against Oculus and Facebook very quickly in this thread. And you were also the first person to begin making personal attacks against members of this community.

Also, the term "circle jerk" is derogative and highly sexual which is starting to take things above and beyond merely "being a jerk." I am sure that if someone such as myself were to make such a reference towards you or others... you would not hesitate to send a report to @Ryanality

@kevinw729 wrote:

I think we all agree that we have yet to see what the reality of the 2023 mandatory login will be. 

This is a bit hyperbolic. Reality can only be measured by looking at the Past and Present. Reality refers to things that have transpired. Since 2023 is in the Future, then by mere definition nobody would be able to see that reality. At least not without a time machine.

That aside, we do have a strong hint of what the 2023 mandatory login will be, considering everything we have seen up to this point.

For example, historically, you have mocked Facebook for failing to achieve the 1-billion people in VR. If we were to go back to the comments you made about that reality, we can see discussion about the fact that Facebook was selling in the "hundreds of thousands" with the Oculus Rift. Not millions. This is something you often celebrated.

So with just that reality in mind, it serves to reason that the impact of the mandatory login will be quite minimal considering the low-sales of the Rift. GO and Quest did well, but they were not hitting the multi-million sales figures that Quest 2 has achieved. 

We must also consider that there are those original Rift/GO/Quest1 users who had no problem creating and linking to a Facebook Account. Many of those users have made it known on this very forum.

You yourself have often boasted of your role in various Facebook VR Groups, which means that you have witnessed first-hand that thousands upon thousands of users have no problem creating a Facebook Account.

Not to mention that even you have a Facebook Account that you are very active with, as noted by your boasting of your role in those Facebook Groups.

Therefore, based on the reality that we have witnessed up to this point, the backlash we may see in 2023 around the mandatory login should be rather minimal. Granted, there will be some users upset and making their voices heard. That is to be expected. But I suppose we can also expect those voices to get highlighted greatly in order to make it seem as if the few outweigh the many. Exaggerating a problem isn't the best way to address it.

Yes there is controversy around a mandatory Facebook Login, but it doesn't seem to make sense that you would insult people who don't share your animosity towards the Login requirement considering how active you are on Facebook's social media platform.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

Hell, I think it was a bad move. I had long avoided Facebook after my initial obsessive playing of Facebook "games". And yet, I did recover and link my FB account. I did so because I wanted to use the new Venues app. The fact doing so lets me use the Quest 2 is a bonus, since I was a huge fan of the Quest 1. Still a bad decision on FB's part in my opinion. But not one that is worth spewing vitriol over. And not one that's going to doom the Quest 2 to failure, despite what the vocal minority on this very forum would have you believe.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

ohgrant
Superstar

I've never been a fan of the FB/Oculus account change. I had a FB account and used it much more before that. Now I avoid FB because I feel I need to walk on egg shells as far as giving opinions there. Not something I can get imbittered about though. 

I do apologize that I lack the bitter dissatisfaction and understanding that all threads here are really about those hero's that didn't buy the quest out of principle. 🙄 And the traitorous linkers who willfully bought a quest and linked their accounts without a struggle. Stay tuned for more great drama bait here on the Oculus network. 💓      

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.