Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New of Possible ¥5b VR Acquirsition

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_0-1630190521518.png

https://pandaily.com/bytedance-reportedly-buys-pico-for-5-billion-yuan/

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
59 REPLIES 59

" Plus the Neo 3 has display port support (something the Quest 2 SHOULD have had)."

Awesome - I didn't notice that one. This would be a "game changer" to me. But I'm still more than happy for the Index, but if a later hmd comes with oled that would be interesting - if the reviews are good...  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

@RuneSR2 wrote:

" Plus the Neo 3 has display port support (something the Quest 2 SHOULD have had)."

Awesome - I didn't notice that one. This would be a "game changer" to me. But I'm still more than happy for the Index, but if a later hmd comes with oled that would be interesting - if the reviews are good...  

The Neo 3 Pro goes even further, it has display port out as well, you can plug it into a tv or monitor for direct wired casting.

What will be interesting is whether Bytedance decides to aim for western consumers. They are a Chinese company like Pico, but they also made TikTok, which is pretty global. Do they want to just fill the gap left by Facebook (and therefore Oculus) being banned in China, or take them on in the international market?

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

cmat100
Adventurer

I think they might be looking for a distributor, I'm sure if someone said "I want to sell a 1000 units to gamers" they would happily oblige.   The country list on their order form exposes views on potential markets,  it ain't alphabetical :-

cmat100_0-1630401486427.png

I don't understand why FB didn't keep the login at FB app stage, instead of requiring it for any functionality at all.  That and the loss of DisplayPort etc has created a gap in the market.  It supports Steam and could work very well, or be a pile of junk.....a review would be helpful.....I'm sure they'll send a unit to a reviewer.....Do you do reviews @kevinw729 ???? 😉 😉

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

I believe Facebook is going all-in on the idea of unteathered VR, even for PCVR. thus why they implemented Air Link. They saw the popularity of apps like Virtual Desktop, and realized Quest users wanted PCVR too. Thus Oculus Link, which more and more feels like it was a stopgap until they got wireless PCVR hammered out.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whilst the wireless tech is evolving and I am sure it will get there eventually I think it will be some time before it can match the performance of a headset plugged directly into the GPU's display port.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

I'd argue that you're wrong about that. Provided you're router is good enough, visual quality doesn't really degrade.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

@Pixie40 wrote:

I'd argue that you're wrong about that. Provided you're router is good enough, visual quality doesn't really degrade.

I would never had thought it possible either, especially back during the Rift era. But after playing Lone Echo on my Quest 2, I have to agree. Plus, there are plenty of side-by-side comparisons of Quest 2 with other high-end tethered PCVR HMDs that illustrate very few differences.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Trying to get back on-topic;

I don't personally know much about Bytedance but based on this very recent review on YouTube it looks like they make Oculus/Facebook seem angelic, lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmiu8agDG_Q

Go to 1:53 for start of Bytedance blurb.

From this guy's comments;

"ByteDance is a company known for its egregious stance against human rights, pro censorship, and stands for discrimination against POC and the LGBTQ community. Is more people in VR really worth it? I don't know if we even have a choice."

So, maybe not the outcome that FB-haters were looking for, lol!

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pixie40 wrote:

I am referring more to performance.