Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New of Possible ¥5b VR Acquirsition

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_0-1630190521518.png

https://pandaily.com/bytedance-reportedly-buys-pico-for-5-billion-yuan/

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
59 REPLIES 59

ohgrant
Superstar

Will do brother

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Or better yet how about a new thread instead.  No sense mixing in news of something from DecaGear with this thread, surely it would be worthy of it's own...

@ohgrant wrote:

Will do brother

Thanks! It would have been cool to see a Pico/Decagear side-by-side as well. Maybe we'll get some of those VR Youtubers to do one before the year is out.

While Pico doesn't seem to have any direct impact on Quest's industry goals, Decagear has the potential to be a major contender. And with Facebook Connect right around the corner... Holiday 2021 may turn out MUCH better than Holiday 2020 lol

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

I'm kind of thinking of watching Facebook Kinect 2021. Last year's presentation was interesting. Worrying at times (the AR tracking glasses thing), but interesting. Here's hoping they can get verifocus working as a purely software thing. Cause that sounds amazing.

Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

Nekto2
Superstar

> I don't understand why FB didn't keep the login at FB app stage, instead of requiring it for any functionality at all. 

I think that is the whole reason they are supporting VR, not the opposite (not to sell VR hardware/software). So VR hmd is "bonus" to FB ecosystem, not a product on it's own.

And for ecosystem you need to have only 1 login for all.

One thing is... you can't select apps inside this login. Like we do in store "I bought free app and installing it or not bought it and have not agree to use it". But for "social web site", "messenger" and other fb services you can't "not to buy and not to agree using them" like with other apps in store. It may have difference if your acc is hacked and someone will post from your acc. So you need to spend your time to check all those services you are not going to use just to be sure not to be punished for actions you have not done.

But... I think it would be great to have "login levels". So a person could select "level 1" and have limited functionality in exchange to limited policy agreement and data provided. Like you could have only "tutorial access" and not more. On "Level 2" you could have "contacts/friends" feature and private messaging but nothing of "public social feature" (and so, no need in moderation process and additional checks).

Every next login level will require additional policy agreement but will provide additional functions.

And for wrong activity it could be possible to down a login level (if you violate policy of "level 3" you go back to "level 2" login but not loosing all access). So no need to block login at all.

It could provide more trust for people (no way to "lose all at once") and more will join fb ecosystem. Same way it will help to save on moderators work if some people will prefer to retain from public activity (you could see "workplace" logins as an example, more robust to loosing and loosing your work same time).

Logins with public post/action features just to heavy to carry 🙂

Have you seen hmd with 4 displays? Something like 'J-3' it's name.

They have semi-transparent mirror and it helps to project hi detailed screens inside the central spot of low detailed screens.

It costs more then 3000 + yearly fee (for enterprises).

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

I'm among the many who think the mandatory FB account for Quest 2 was a bad idea. It didn't really affect me, since I had already linked my FB and Oculus accounts. But I recognize that's not the case for everyone. And having a social media site be required to use your VR hmd is a bad idea.

I think there is misunderstanding that "FB" and "fb" is the same. So "FB login" is not "social media site" login actually. But that misunderstanding is based on the thing that you can't "turn off/uninstall/not buy media site feature". If "social media site" feature will be just like any app in Oculus store (like "Move" or "Oculus video" etc) then you will not think that FB login is the same as "web site".

Google has it. Login is one thing and all apps like youtube, maps, .... are just apps. You could select not to "install/enable" them. Or just "clear all data" in any of app and disable it.

Pixie40
Expert Trustee

What you miss is that while Facebook wants your account to be used as a (near) universal login, that's because it lets them track even more of what you do online with every site and service you sign into using Facebook. And make no mistake, a "facebook login" IS an account on Facebook.com, the social media site. As part of setting it up, you have to set up your Facebook page.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

@Pixie40
- "mandatory FB account for Quest 2 was a bad idea."

No argument from the peanut gallery 🙂
It is one of the most devisive moves, and one of the most contiversal within the VR community. 
The way in which we have seen the conspiracy of attacking the attempt for the Jailbroken alternative underlined the business move this introduction engendered, and for many it was a line crossed. 

Those that defend or down play the severity of this move, brand themselves in a difficult light. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959