cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

News Flash - Vive Pro is now EOL (end of life)!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I recently saw this roadtovr report about Vive Headsets where they quote a Vive response that shows the only consumer PCVR products will be Cosmos and Cosmos Elite.  The Enterprise products now only include Vive Pro-eye variants and the current Vive Pro, along with the OG Vive (and OG Focus) are now End of life / remaining unit sell-through.   I'm not too sure that roadtovr always gets things correct and they have not actually named the Vive contact.  I'll probably believe this once I see an official HTC/Vive report/blog.  Anyway, probably worth a read;

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vr-lineup-11-headset-packages-modular-strategy-mess/2/?amp

If this is the case then there will be no longer be a Vive consumer headset with oled screens.  Too bad because my Vive Pro has much better blacks/contrast in dark games/sims than my Vive Cosmos lcd screens.

I just got the following reply from the Vive Support forum;

"We are no longer manufacturing the original SKUs of Pro and are selling through remaining stock. The Pro has been succeeded by the Pro Eye as our enterprise HMD. Pro Eye is OLED.

The OLED situation is tricky because consumer feedback overwhelmingly indicated that the subpixel arrangement and resulting screen door effect was one of the most important things to consumers as it ultimately affects perceived resolution. You can see this trend replicated  across most current gen-HMDs. To boot, OLED panels are only manufactured by a handful of companies worldwide so there are some supply constraints when designing a product based around those panels."

So, the Vive Pro might be the last high res oled PCVR headset for the foreseeable future.  Glad I got mine before they all sold out.  It seems that most darkish games/sims were designed around oled but hopefully developers will start catering to lcd panels more in the near future.  Maybe once eye-tracking becomes more prevalent Vive will produce a Vive Pro-eye consumer version.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
9 REPLIES 9

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
That's horrible  :# I guess we still have Quest Link for oled, but not really sure the streaming would qualify as high-res PCVR... 

Seems like everyone what's lcd these days and that few understand why that could be a very bad idea, especially in dark games - or games needing temporal antialiasing. Or just for the colors and contrast when watching movies in VR. 

Of course HTC has to make ends meet, and unfortunately Vive Pro never was a popular hmd according to the Steam Hardware Survey. The price was very high - ever higher than Index - and some may not like Wands. Personally I think it's sad that HTC couldn't lower the price sooner to increase adoption. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Yes @TomCgcmfc - that is what we also understand. The VIVE Pro Eye is now focused at Enterprise support (as well as the new version of the Cosmos Elite). The same way that the CV1 has also become a EOL platform. The system is very active in the Enterprise (Out-of-Home Entertainment) sector having a 89% deployment rate.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

That's horrible  :# I guess we still have Quest Link for oled, but not really sure the streaming would qualify as high-res PCVR... 

It does a pretty darn good job actually, I was quite amazed.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Everyone will be using fast-switch LCDs going forward I think, BOE are going to make a small fortune.

With regards to the black levels, you get used to them not being so dark. I hardly notice them now.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

Yes @TomCgcmfc - that is what we also understand. The VIVE Pro Eye is now focused at Enterprise support (as well as the new version of the Cosmos Elite). The same way that the CV1 has also become a EOL platform. The system is very active in the Enterprise (Out-of-Home Entertainment) sector having a 89% deployment rate.

Kevin, Could you please explain what you mean when you say the system in the enterprise sector has a 89% deployment rate.  Does that mean that 89% of all enterprise users are using Vive VR systems?  If so, who are the remaining 11%?  Thanks mate.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

TomCgcmfc said:
Kevin, Could you please explain what you mean when you say the system in the enterprise sector has a 89% deployment rate.  Does that mean that 89% of all enterprise users are using Vive VR systems?  If so, who are the remaining 11%?  Thanks mate.

Yeah mate - that is of HMD's deployed in [Western] LBE VR, 89% of them are HTC's, while the remaining 11% is split between Deepoons, Pico, GearVR's and a smattering of CV1's/Quests.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

snowdog said:

Everyone will be using fast-switch LCDs going forward I think, BOE are going to make a small fortune.

With regards to the black levels, you get used to them not being so dark. I hardly notice them now.

God i hope not, i just cannot go back to lcd as those grey blacks and washed out colour vibrancy just kill the immersion on everything, i can only hope Qled is our savour on this matter, of course it also does not help that any of these lcd based hmd makers have yet to include settings options with their headsets, because allowing the end user to change the brightness, contrast and colour saturation can go some ways to help negate some of downsides of a lcd panel, i mean on the Go the default settings are horrible, just dire, but fire up some of the media apps that allow said tweaking and what a difference, although it won't turn a lcd into a Oled it does go a long way to improving that lcd experience.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I gotta say that the more I use my Vive Pro the happier I am that I bought one.  Thanks to Oculus v13 and v14 bugs I'm now using my Vive Pro for ALL my flight/racing sims, Google Earth VR, and a few darkish SteamVR games/apps.  Actually, these all look significantly better than with my good old Rift cv1 anyway. 

I'm still using my cv1 all my Oculus Store games because with 2x SS and touch controllers, these are still the best overall option.  If further improvements in Revive and better Vive and/or Index controllers become available to me I may even be able to retire my cv1, lol!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Saw this Meme floating around in response to this news. Had to share! Just some satire.

do7d92fggk50.jpg