I recently saw this roadtovr report about Vive Headsets where they quote a Vive response that shows the only consumer PCVR products will be Cosmos and Cosmos Elite. The Enterprise products now only include Vive Pro-eye variants and the current Vive Pro, along with the OG Vive (and OG Focus) are now End of life / remaining unit sell-through. I'm not too sure that roadtovr always gets things correct and they have not actually named the Vive contact. I'll probably believe this once I see an official HTC/Vive report/blog. Anyway, probably worth a read;
If this is the case then there will be no longer be a Vive consumer headset with oled screens. Too bad because my Vive Pro has much better blacks/contrast in dark games/sims than my Vive Cosmos lcd screens.
I just got the following reply from the Vive Support forum;
"We are no longer manufacturing the original SKUs of Pro and are selling through remaining stock. The Pro has been succeeded by the Pro Eye as our enterprise HMD. Pro Eye is OLED.
The OLED situation is tricky because consumer feedback overwhelmingly indicated that the subpixel arrangement and resulting screen door effect was one of the most important things to consumers as it ultimately affects perceived resolution. You can see this trend replicated across most current gen-HMDs. To boot, OLED panels are only manufactured by a handful of companies worldwide so there are some supply constraints when designing a product based around those panels."
So, the Vive Pro might be the last high res oled PCVR headset for the foreseeable future. Glad I got mine before they all sold out. It seems that most darkish games/sims were designed around oled but hopefully developers will start catering to lcd panels more in the near future. Maybe once eye-tracking becomes more prevalent Vive will produce a Vive Pro-eye consumer version.
Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"
Yes @TomCgcmfc - that is what we also understand. The VIVE Pro Eye is now focused at Enterprise support (as well as the new version of the Cosmos Elite). The same way that the CV1 has also become a EOL platform. The system is very active in the Enterprise (Out-of-Home Entertainment) sector having a 89% deployment rate.
Kevin, Could you please explain what you mean when you say the system in the enterprise sector has a 89% deployment rate. Does that mean that 89% of all enterprise users are using Vive VR systems? If so, who are the remaining 11%? Thanks mate.
Everyone will be using fast-switch LCDs going forward I think, BOE are going to make a small fortune.
With regards to the black levels, you get used to them not being so dark. I hardly notice them now.