cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more motion sickness!!

Herolord
Protege
Hey guys, when I first got the rift back in July, I used to get motion sickness within 2 minutes of playing, even in games that had little motion (such as that demo where you shoot penguins and other blocky creatures in a dungeon). I read that one could get used to it, so I stuck to it, and got my tolerance up to about 4 minutes before I absolutely had to stop, even though the 4 minutes were still uncomfortable. After about a month of olaying everyday and seeing no improvement, I figured that VR was simply not for me, and that I needed t wait for a new product to try again. Yesterday, however, after finishing another semester and seeing that I was bored, I decided to dust off the old Oculus, and gave it a whirl. I changed two things this time.

1. I turned off V-Sync as recommended.
2. I tightened the head band and snapped the side wheel buttons as far as it would go in, so that my eyelashes are practically touching the lenses.

Voila, I played Skyrim for about 20 minutes with no discomfort or motion sickness AT ALL!! I had heard of the first trick, but had never heard anyone mention the importance, and improvement caused by the getting your eye as close as possible to the lenses. Not only, did the clarity go up, but it made my fov go up DRASTICALLY. It doesn't feel like a para scope anymore, and the added immersion helps with the motion sickness saw ell since your brain feels better, and you can see better overall. Try it! When you are playing a game, press the rift up to your eyes with your palm to see the difference that extra tightness and closeness makes, then set the side wheel buttons and the headband tightness to achieve it! OMG why wasn't I told? So many months wasted!
11 REPLIES 11

oliv897
Honored Guest
Thank you for posting this.. I am saving to buy one but was hesitant after trying out the 3DS in store made me violently ill on their floor (all I can say is good F-ing job I was good friends with the staff!)

drash
Heroic Explorer
That's really great news Herolord. Thanks for the followup post on it -- I find it interesting that a larger FOV actually alleviated simsickness for you. I was thinking a larger FOV just raises the stakes on making sure your brain agrees with your senses, but maybe that isn't the case for everyone! 😮
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

VRoom
Honored Guest
That's great to hear. Congrats on building stronger VR legs! I guess our brains just need a bit of time to process new data, even in the meantime, when we are not wearing Rift.
I usually don't feel nausea anymore. But I did get a bit sick again the other day, when playing The Exploration School (luckily it only lasted 20 minutes after I stopped playing). What I think happened? Since I had hands in game, I unconsciously made similar movements as I do in real life, when I try to pick up or throw something (leaning forward/backward/down). Since there's no positional tracking, I guess my brains got confused.

Even if sickness wasn't that strong and didn't last long, it really reminded me how unpleasant it can be. I really appreciate that Oculus is trying to (and apparently did) solve issue with VR sickness.

pewzie
Honored Guest
Without doubt my single biggest fear.

Although I have my rift its a Christmas present so have to wit until Christmas day.

Would be gutted if motion sickness is a big problem for me.

I just wonder how many people experience it overall?

I read on here someone saying they demo'd their unit to around 30-40 people who were all pretty amazed by the device. There was no mention of anyone getting sick so it does make you wonder, particularly when people report feeling sick in a matter of a couple of minutes.

My heart will be in my mouth for those first couple of minutes for sure when I first try mine out.

VRoom
Honored Guest
"pewzie" wrote:

Although I have my rift its a Christmas present so have to wit until Christmas day.

I read on here someone saying they demo'd their unit to around 30-40 people who were all pretty amazed by the device. There was no mention of anyone getting sick so it does make you wonder, particularly when people report feeling sick in a matter of a couple of minutes.

My heart will be in my mouth for those first couple of minutes for sure when I first try mine out.

There's a big chance you'll get some VR sickness. When demoing, it's different. People are usually more careful at what movements they are making. Especially if you warn them beforehand. The problem starts, when you start playing a game for real. You soon get immersed and start making movements that can make you feel ill.

Still, getting some VR legs is a good thing. I can imagine, you'll be able to do pretty much everything in consumer version, if you'll be able to overcome VR sickness in Dev Kit already.

RirtualVeality
Adventurer
Just bought Vorpx and for the first time got some serious motion sickness...like my eyes were really fucked up. I played Outlast and Mirror's Edge for like 2 hours, but couldn't find the "happy place" for my eyes. I'm sure it's my own dumbass fault because I'm a retard when it comes to playing with settings and shit, but damn..

...that said, Vorpx was worth it for Outlast ALONE. No shadow fuck ups and the "Edge-Peek" is majorly useful for the journals/notes you find. If anyone has any suggestions for settings for that game I'd appreciate it.

HydroCobra
Honored Guest
I will make my own thread and discuss a better way.

JCat
Expert Protege
"Herolord" wrote:

1. I turned off V-Sync as recommended.
2. I tightened the head band and snapped the side wheel buttons as far as it would go in, so that my eyelashes are practically touching the lenses.

Interesting about the V-Sync. I always used it for smooth scrolling performance, alleviating the tearing. Is this because V-Sync may stutter on a less powerful machine causing the nausea? Just taking a guess while trying to get myself prepped.

JohnnyChaos
Honored Guest
"pewzie" wrote:

that's why I didn't buy one until I'd tried one.. unfortunately I tried a HD prototype so the Dev Kit version seemed a bit of a downgrade.

I'd highly recommend you ease your self in to it and make sure you calibrate it!
I usually start people off with:-
Blocked In, then on to Asunder & Awsome, staying away from any games with walking 😄