cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Not a single disconnect since new Rift arrived

JohnnyDioxin
Level 11
Hello Virtual friends πŸ™‚

I, like many, suffered months of USB dinging and frustration with my Rift. I was able to reduce the USB connect/disconnect audio notifications by changing the USB power group policy, but it still happened regularly. Though I got used to it, and learned to ignore it, there was always a niggling doubt about the possible cause(s).

Then I started getting the HDMI disconnects, which got progressively worse, until support said they would replace my Rift.

Since getting the new one, not only did set-up go very much more smoothly than previously, I've not had a single USB or HDMI disconnect with the new headset.

Food for thought.

EDIT: Who put those tags there? Cos I didn't! My tags were "HDMI", "USB" and "disconnects" πŸ˜•

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
23 REPLIES 23

NeoEdo
Level 5
I had that same situation last year.

I bought my "first" Rift in August (might have been late July). Same issues, though. HDMI and USB disconnects all over the place. Tried tweaking the power policies, tried different drivers for the Inateck USB 3.0 card etc. etc.

Support finally had me RMA it. I received the new one around September; haven't had headset or sensor disconnects since (Inateck card has the default drivers Windows installs). I remember even replying to support telling them the new headset even adjusts better (the straps) than the first one. (o_O)?

JohnnyDioxin
Level 11
So probably found something but only replacing the ones where people report the issues and can't sort it.

RedRizla
Level 15
@Brixmis - That's good to know because mines gone back for the exact same reason. Headset disconnect was my problem.

JohnnyDioxin
Level 11
It's worth being without for a couple of weeks πŸ˜‰

inovator
Level 12
I'm surprised they gave u a new rift. They now sell the headset usb hdmi cable seperately. It had to be that cable that was bad. 

RedRizla
Level 15

inovator said:

I'm surprised they gave u a new rift. They now sell the headset usb hdmi cable seperately. It had to be that cable that was bad. 

I tried a different cable and it made no difference so it doesn't have to be the cable at all. They also ask you to send logs and take pics, so it's not forced to be the cable like you're suggesting. 

flexy123
Level 9

inovator said:

That the cable itself "goes bad" or breaks IMHO is possible but UNLIKELY. It's much more likely some other problem, eg. with internal connectors or whatever components, or in the case of "disconnects" it can also be software/driver related, not even meaning that hardware is physically "disconnected".

Please don't do "remote hardware diagnosis" based on internet posts and just by guessing, this is silly. The best way to find out what is going on is still if someone sends logs to Oculus and they check the logs. I am pretty sure they have ways to determine hardware problems and when they say a RMA is recommended they'll sure have a reason for this.

With random guessing/advise like you give, people will just have unnecessary extra costs ($60 for a cable), wasted time and then STILL not having solved their problem.

RedRizla
Level 15
@flexy123 - You are spot on. I was reluctant to send my CV1 back because I had my sensors connected to the wall and lets be honest it's a pain in the arse returning eveything. I sent in the logs and took pics and they told me to return the the full unit after they gave me some good support. I was adamant I didn't want to do this and said I suspected the cable was at fault because it was my headset disconnecting.

Oculus Support told me it wasn't the cable, but to keep me happy they would replace the cable as long as it was returned if it didn't work out. They told me this would be wasting time though in getting a full replacement because of my logs and pics. Guess what? The unit was still faulty with the new cable and I've wasted 4 weeks without a CV1.

That's bad advice inovator.

JohnnyDioxin
Level 11
Indeed, I thought it was a problem my end, too, only I suspected something amiss with the USB driver set-up. After the pictures and logs being sent in I was told a replacement was required. If I hadn't got in touch with support and followed their advice, I would now have a defective headset that I would have to return anyway (and if I'd been in the USA my warranty would be about expired).