cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to connect any Oculus vr to my laptop

V_Mukesh_kumar
Explorer

My laptop specification is HP 15 Intel Core i5 8th Gen 15.6-inch FHD Laptop
HP 15-DA0077TX, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Geforce MX 110. While I set up, 2 USB ports detects but HDMI does not detect. Now, I understood the problem that my laptop display is connected to inbuilt intel graphics and also I need a high-end graphics card to work. So if I buy an external graphics card and connect it to my laptop will it work. Can anyone please confirm it because after buying if I am not able to connect it will be a big problem for me.
Also if it is possible to connect externally, please suggest me graphics card (cost less than 130 dollars(10K INR))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@V_Mukesh_kumar  You would need a TB3 port which I do not believe your laptop has.  Plus your other specs look pretty low.  So no go imho.  In any case by the time you bought one and added a decent gpu to it you probably would have been better to just buy an new PC, preferably a desktop.

There is no way for you to use this laptop for PCVR with Oculus, or any other VR headset imho.  Please do at least a little google research before buying next time.  You can still get a Quest 2 and use it standalone for mobile VR without a PC.  You still will need access to a smartphone to set it up though.  Again, research requirements before buying anything is the best advice I can give you mate.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

@V_Mukesh_kumar  You would need a TB3 port which I do not believe your laptop has.  Plus your other specs look pretty low.  So no go imho.  In any case by the time you bought one and added a decent gpu to it you probably would have been better to just buy an new PC, preferably a desktop.

There is no way for you to use this laptop for PCVR with Oculus, or any other VR headset imho.  Please do at least a little google research before buying next time.  You can still get a Quest 2 and use it standalone for mobile VR without a PC.  You still will need access to a smartphone to set it up though.  Again, research requirements before buying anything is the best advice I can give you mate.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Howie_Doodat
Rising Star

I would highly recommend not buying an external GPU. They're insanely pricy and your computer is not going to use much of the GPU's power. Unfortuntely, your laptop is drastically under spec so it's impossible. I have to echo the statement above, you should research these things before spending a bunch of money. Hopefully you can return the VR set. 

V_Mukesh_kumar
Explorer

Thanks for the info

V_Mukesh_kumar
Explorer

Hey! 

Great question! Using a compatible computer is very important when attempting to tether your Oculus device to it. Here is a link to the PC specifications required in order to use the Oculus Link: Click Here. Feel free to reach out to us for any other questions or concerns by sending us a private message. We look forward to seeing you in VR!  🕹🎮

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Hey oculus, if there was a way to use it on a geo laptop, that would be great, ive been trying the oculus app, and my graphics card is not compatible, i know that I need to get a new graphic card, but i'm pretty low on money.

Every Geo laptop I just looked at (there's 20 models listed on their website) use Intel integrated graphics. No Intel graphics chip is compatible with Oculus, only Nvidia or AMD will work (and even then older ones may not work with Quest for Link).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2