cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now we get prompt to connect with Facebook

dburne
Level 16
Just launched Oculus Home and now we are greeted with a prompt about tying in to Facebook account.
It did give me option to continue with Oculus, but said some features might not be available.

I thought we were good with what we currently have for a couple of years.
So we are going to have limited accounts already?
Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index
47 REPLIES 47

TomCgcmfc
Level 16
Thanks Kevin, I guess I'll also see that message soon when I setup my new Quest 2, lol!
9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Quest 2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro.

RuneSR2
Level 16

dburne said:

This is what I was referring to:
Further, the company says that existing users who opt not to merge their Oculus account with their Facebook account can continue using their headset as normal until the end of 2022, after which the company no longer guarantees “full functionality” without the use of a Facebook account.
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-facebook-account-required-new-users-existing-users/

But from what is sounds from the prompt I got today ( wish I had of grabbed a screenshot), functionality will be limited starting after I selected to not merge my Oculus account with a FB account.

Of course though if they are only talking social features then that is fine as I am not interested in those.
Perhaps only those that have not elected to merge accounts yet will see that message upon start of Oculus software.

Wonder what functionalty will be limited. I just want to buy games and apps in the Store and to start them - I do not care for anything else.

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

dburne
Level 16

RuneSR2 said:

dburne said:

Further, the company says that existing users who opt not to merge their Oculus account with their Facebook account can continue using their headset as normal until the end of 2022, after which the company no longer guarantees “full functionality” without the use of a Facebook account.
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-facebook-account-required-new-users-existing-users/

But from what is sounds from the prompt I got today ( wish I had of grabbed a screenshot), functionality will be limited starting after I selected to not merge my Oculus account with a FB account.

Of course though if they are only talking social features then that is fine as I am not interested in those.
Perhaps only those that have not elected to merge accounts yet will see that message upon start of Oculus software.

Wonder what functionalty will be limited. I just want to buy games and apps in the Store and to start them - I do not care for anything else.

Hard to say really but I would think it would be social type functions. Which would not bother me if that is the only thing
affected by this as I am not much into social stuff for my gaming.
Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index

vududeman
Level 4
I got the merge request today in the iOS app.  Since I'm getting the Quest 2 next week, I went ahead and did it--went smoothly.  I checked signing in the browser afterwards with FB login, and all my purchases were still there.  You can set different privacy settings in the app as well.

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

RuneSR2 said:

dburne said:

The limitations should be the same as it’s been for the past year if you’ve been running without a linked Facebook account; no social features. I think the main change now will be that the non-permanent linked Facebook account option will go away. It will be either a stand-alone Oculus account, or a Facebook account with your Oculus account permanently merged into it. 

Edit: Just checked the phone app, and had the prompt to merge. It explained the options (use Facebook or have no access to social features as well as some future new features), and warned me that merging would be permanent. The next page showed me the names of the Facebook account and Oculus account I would be merging, and asked for a confirmation. One more click, and I’m merged. My privacy settings were unchanged in the Oculus app (only I can see my Facebook name), and my Oculus username and avatar were the same as before. 

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

Richooal
Level 12
Sorry, long post coming. This is what you get in the desktop app if you haven't got a FB account linked..........

9hca6ukq685l.jpg

ekso7jdo1wa3.jpg

d1zsi42r48su.jpg

g1secnjdckvi.jpg

Hitting "Confirm" at the end starts the app, same as before.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Zenbane
Level 16
j33h714xx28g.gif

OmegaM4N
Level 11

RuneSR2 said:

dburne said:

The same as is missing at present, all the freinds features, all online chat features, visiting other users Oculus home.....but FB could also add all online oculus store bought games online functions at some point.

Sternenspinne
Level 2
I have the problem that my oculus (quest) asks me to either merge my accounts or explicitly deny that, but neither the app not the website seem to have options for it? I don't get a merge prompt like Richooal or posted nalex66 mentioned. Have I missed something? Or did anyone else have the same problem?

Antonyvw
Level 4
Ive also had the screens that Richooal has posted up. Seems like they are not wasting time.