cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now we get prompt to connect with Facebook

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just launched Oculus Home and now we are greeted with a prompt about tying in to Facebook account.
It did give me option to continue with Oculus, but said some features might not be available.

I thought we were good with what we currently have for a couple of years.
So we are going to have limited accounts already?
47 REPLIES 47

EAF_Ribbon
Protege
-9:35 Opted for NOT linking accounts
-9:38 Closed the Oculus app
-9:42 preordered Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Imagine waiting an hour to log into a forum after owning dk1, and the get slapped in the face with this new "ToS"... Could i just not log in without Agreeing to merge the account when the time comes? Just keep pretending like nothing has changed, now i cant use the fucking headset in oculus store, for things i've bought, under laws of this country you cannot change your ToS like that.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I also got the choice through my phone app. I chose to keep my Oculus account. Everything looks normal  🙂  😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I merged my accounts earlier today with my iPhone app.  Since I'm expecting my preordered Quest 2 soon I took the Borg view that "Resistance is Futile", lol!  I only use my +8yo FB account to 'monitor' a few clubs and user groups I belong to, not family/friends.  So at point I don't see any difference.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I got the same message last night as well. Accounts are now linked.

Onwards and upwards!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

dburne said:

This is what I was referring to:
Further, the company says that existing users who opt not to merge their Oculus account with their Facebook account can continue using their headset as normal until the end of 2022, after which the company no longer guarantees “full functionality” without the use of a Facebook account.
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-facebook-account-required-new-users-existing-users/

But from what is sounds from the prompt I got today ( wish I had of grabbed a screenshot), functionality will be limited starting after I selected to not merge my Oculus account with a FB account.

Of course though if they are only talking social features then that is fine as I am not interested in those.
Perhaps only those that have not elected to merge accounts yet will see that message upon start of Oculus software.

Wonder what functionalty will be limited. I just want to buy games and apps in the Store and to start them - I do not care for anything else.

How dare you say such a thing. Playing single player games in VR is unheard of now. You have to be more social in VR, or at-least pretend you are going to be by creating a social media account 😄 😛

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

You have to be more social in VR, or at-least pretend you are going to be by creating a social media account

So I'm curious, how would you describe the difference of being social on this Facebook run forum vs being social on Facebook.com?

Forums do fall under the umbrella of Social Media. Most would agree that Internet Forums were the first forms of Social Media. Anyone on this Facebook run forum with a post count in the 100's or 1000's has been engaging quite healthily in Facebook Social Media. I wouldn't consider it "pretending" with a post count in the thousands, na' mean?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Forums are a way of communicating, but they are very different to social media accounts. A quick search of google will tell you why a social media account is different to a forum without me explaining it.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

Forums are a way of communicating, but they are very different to social media accounts. A quick search of google will tell you why a social media account is different to a forum without me explaining it.

The problem is that this isn't just any Forum, this is a Facebook run forum. And my question is less about the technology and more about the social aspect. More to the point, if someone is "being social" on a Facebook run forum, with over 7800 social posts, then they are in fact engaging in Social Media activity.

So again, it's not really "pretending to be social" for someone with thousands of Social posts.

I took your advice and hit up Google. Here's a definition of Social Media:
Definition of social media
: forms of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (such as videos)

Forums do qualify as websites for social networking. We are all here, including you, sharing information, ideas, personal messages, and other content, such as videos. That stuff is all over this Facebook forum.

That being said, even if we were to agree that Forums are very different to Social Media Accounts, what I'm speaking to is more of the "social behavior." For instance, you can create a Facebook.com account and never engage in any Social Behavior whatsoever. While on the other hand, you can create an Account on this Forum, and then engage in Social Behavior for years at a time with thousands of posts.

So it doesn't really seem to match up to be against a Social Media account while also spending years and thousands of posts on a Facebook run forum.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
In a “Forum”, the SUBJECT MATTER is the context, whereas in a “Social Network”, the PERSON and their profile is the context.

This forum isn't about me. A social media account would be about me and that's not something I want or need just to play VR.