cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now we get prompt to connect with Facebook

dburne
Level 16
Just launched Oculus Home and now we are greeted with a prompt about tying in to Facebook account.
It did give me option to continue with Oculus, but said some features might not be available.

I thought we were good with what we currently have for a couple of years.
So we are going to have limited accounts already?
Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2
47 REPLIES 47

kevinw729
Level 16

TomCgcmfc said:

OMG, I am that frog, lol!

Yeah, there use to be a lot more frogs, but many "hopped" out when the water turned yellow! 🙂
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
Level 16
Some of them frogs are now backstroking in brown water
 😛 

Zenbane
Level 16

OmegaM4N said:

RedRizla said:

In a “Forum”, the SUBJECT MATTER is the context, whereas in a “Social Network”, the PERSON and their profile is the context.

This forum isn't about me. A social media account would be about me.

I alway get a chuckle from those telling you that your online privacy is
not that important and you should just accept everything without
question, while they themselves are hid behind a online pseudonym. lol

Well that is no different than people on a Facebook platform saying that they don't want to be on a Facebook platform.

Besides, you can be on Facebook.com with an online pseudonym. That's what I use for my Oculus VR Facebook account.

Regardless, I haven't seen anyone actually say that online privacy isn't important. Of course it is important. However, I do think that people freely give away their privacy on a very regular basis. Anyone posting on this forum, for example, is giving their privacy away to both their ISP and Facebook. People should use Proxy Servers and Pseudonyms.

I think the bigger problem is that consumers tend to focus on the lower hanging fruit. Consumers tend to ignore how much privacy they give away on a regular basis, but then focus heavily on Facebook simply because Facebook gets the most "bad press" about it. Meanwhile, consumers ignore the fact that Microsoft, Apple, Google, and Amazon collect all your information and send it to Facebook anyway.

The only real contradiction that seems problematic is in regards to consumers who protest Facebook while using Facebook products. 

cmat100
Level 5
When I first got my Quest,  I thought it was totally bizzare to require an app on my phone to set it up.  I think I've just realised the plan and seen the future.........(gazes into crystal ball, puts down 'cigarette')

"From the 24th of December 2020,  The Oculus app wil be depricated and all features integrated into our regular Facebook app.  To set-up your headset, you will need to install the Facebook app on your mobile phone."   I wonder how many people happy to merge accounts would be happy with that.

Please see 0:54 to 1:00 hehehehe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy2JHmyMbnk

And I got the message and pressed the Grey "Continue with Oculus" button.

Zenbane
Level 16

cmat100 said:
To set-up your headset, you will need to install the Facebook app on your mobile phone."   I wonder how many people happy to merge accounts would be happy with that.

My Macbook and iPad require an AppleID to use the Apple Store; and the Apple Store is an App itself, so this isn't entirely unusual.

But yeah, anyone who doesn't want all that Facebook App shenanigans should probably avoid all things Facebook and Oculus, as they are very much one-in-the-same moreso now than ever.

Double_Shot
Level 5

dburne said:

Just launched Oculus Home and now we are greeted with a prompt about tying in to Facebook account.
It did give me option to continue with Oculus, but said some features might not be available.

I thought we were good with what we currently have for a couple of years.
So we are going to have limited accounts already?

That has come up every time for me, although I haven't been around to check for a couple days now.  It may be fixed, I dunno.

dburne
Level 16

cmat100 said:

When I first got my Quest,  I thought it was totally bizzare to require an app on my phone to set it up.  I think I've just realised the plan and seen the future.........(gazes into crystal ball, puts down 'cigarette')

"From the 24th of December 2020,  The Oculus app wil be depricated and all features integrated into our regular Facebook app.  To set-up your headset, you will need to install the Facebook app on your mobile phone."   I wonder how many people happy to merge accounts would be happy with that.

Please see 0:54 to 1:00 hehehehe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy2JHmyMbnk

And I got the message and pressed the Grey "Continue with Oculus" button.

Somehow I am not surprised.
Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

Daishuku
Level 2
I faced big issues.

My Real Name Facebook have Banned before because the Trouble maker.

They try to break my account, and Spoof own my account.
This make Facebook Force me change password and ID to proof myself.

However, this guy try to find my real House and Office to backbiting to me.
He lie to my friends and Girl Friend. I lost relationship too.

Like a Joke? Welcome to Hong Kong.

He using Fake name on Facebook, I can't do anything by lawsuit.

Facebook account for me is much more easy to lose than Google account.

Even I read some Japanese Twitter about Rift Quest 2.

Someone said his Real Name account get banned because he just log fewer than 3 times.
However Facebook don't care about it, just like my case.

Facebook no idea how's Asian abuse the SNS.