cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvidia RTX 3050, 3060 (Ti), 3070 (Ti), 3080 (Ti) & 3090 (Ti) HAVE ARRIVED (INFO AND BENCHMARKS)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
TweakTown Enlarged Image

It seems like we'll get:

The new Ampere-based GeForce RTX 3000 series cards will reportedly offer more VRAM on all cards, so we could see: 

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 - 12GB 
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 - 12GB 
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti - 16GB.

Maybe reduced power consumption due to 7nm. And maybe the best - if it's true:

NVIDIA is reportedly set to offer its next-gen GeForce RTX 3000 serieds at cheaper prices than the current-gen GeForce RTX 2000 series, which would be interesting. NVIDIA faced considerable backlash with the pricing on its GeForce RTX 2000 series, even though they still sold like hotcakes a price reduction is always welcome.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68455/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-more-vram-way-faster-cheaper/index.h...

Expected - maybe - in the first half of 2020:

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-next-generation-ampere-7nm-graphics-cards-landing-1h-2020/ 

Some shots of RTX 3090s:

15022021-3

15022021-4

15022021-6

15022021-7

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,405 REPLIES 1,405

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to skip a generation, till I got into VR.

Now I want to get the best I can get at the time. Blood sucking hobby lol.

Aye aye, Sailor - I'll drink to that! 😉

Just got back from the Furious Seas battling Drake, and I need all the fps I can get. 

28ae977a63bc33d6f2966505d6a3187f61123b70.gif

That game is 10/10 in my book, right now I'm sweating like a sunburnt pirate, but didn't finish Drake - the game saves checkpoints in the big battles and I'll continue later. I'm sure that game easily could use something twice as fast as the 3090, but I'm not complaining. 

Using Index res 200%, 4xMSAA and highest graphics settings this game is simply gorgeous. 

furious3.JPG

Furiuos Seas is one VR game easily wanting more than even a RTX 3090 can provide

After getting the 3090, VR is close to perfect, at least for current games either using Index res 200% or CV1 ss 2.0 - everything performs like a dream - or close. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Nice overview, I agree with nearly all in this video - even if it concerns pancake lovers 😉 

Yup, the video explains how these features are fairly useless in games like Doom Eternal, where combat is fast-paced and it is not worth the performance hit. Anyone doing any form of competitive play, either casual or professional, will likely have all these advanced visuals "off" anyway. Assuming the goal is to win!

But for slower-paced single player only experiences, like a good RPG or Adventure Game, this would help create some decent ambience.

Granted, it still has a long way to go. As not all lightsources are utilized and not everything creates reflections (e.g. weapons).

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

The Persistence Enhanced with RTX 3080 and enabled ray-tracing - in VR:

I need to get back to this awesome game... Will probably still be preferring oled (CV1) for the game... 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

There are many discussions about changing thermal pads on the high-end RTX cards. Personally, at least with the Asus Strix, which does have awesome cooling and is fully covered with thermal pads, I have not measured vram temps much above 90C. Also vram temps may depend on case airflow etc. 

Here's a dude changing all his Strix thermal pads, which Asus says will void the 3 years of warranty on the card:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/my-results-re-pasting-3090-strix.1775758/

So was it worth risking the warranty? The dude ended up with 2C lower temps, which is basically nothing and could be within margins of error measurements. 

Also Asus may produce millions of video cards, I'm convinced Asus has quite experienced engineers, who have to take into account the longevity and durability of thermal paste, pads and more, which I'm sure have been rigorously tested before launch. Thinking that you can easily provide a better solution than Asus may be a matter of debate, lol. 

In short, think twice before changing thermal pads, and be careful you're not voiding your warranty. If there's a specific problem leading to thermal throttling, I'd start by contacting the card manufacturer. 2c. 

@RuneSR2  I could not agree more mate.  Every time I see Reddit kiddies posting that how terrible gpu temps above 70degC are so they re-paste and/or add new thermal pads to get those nasty temps down, I laugh.  One way to get lots of down votes (of which I could care less about) is to question the logic of these Reddit kiddies, lol! 

My Zotac rtx3090 Trinity has maxed out under full 350w load (currently the max with this gpu) at 95degC Vram and 85degC gpu nor have I ever got any thermal throttling.  So this does not worry me as this is all well within normal operating limits.  Plus I still have over 4 yrs left on my 5 yr warranty. 

I also have pretty good cooling; 3x120mm front fans in a good sized case and my i9 9900k (with a mild 5Ghz oc) is water cooled.  I'm not really interested in oc'ing my gpu since I have not seen any reason to do so.  Right now, my cpu is the bottleneck with my flight sims.  Maybe one day when we get 6-7Hz cpu's I'll look at water cooling and oc'ing my gpu.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

The Heaven Benchmark, although old, is still great - and easily gets my gpu to reach max temps. But never had any problems, performance is solid, does not decrease at all. Might be using more than 400w for the 3090 alone, but it works perfectly. 

I guess many may think "gee, 100C is hot - if I was subjected to 100C I would be cooked" - but humans aren't vram or gpus, what's hot for humans may not really be that hot for vram or gpus. Sometimes I think many would worry much less, and enjoy life much more, but turning off those temp monitoring apps (unless they really have a problem like performance diminishing over time or crashes). 

Surely Zotac would not offer 5 years of warranty if they weren't sure that the cooling was sufficient. I fully trust that Asus' engineers know much more about selecting the optimal cooling solution than I do, lol. But seems many ordinary users today think they know more about optimal cooling than experienced manufactures. 

My Gainward BLISS 7800GS 256MB AGP, known as the fastest AGP card ever made, is now 13 years old and still works perfectly - haven't changed anything. 

If it works, don't fix it 😎

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I just got an email from EVGA that my queue position has come up for the RTX 3080 Ti. I really wanted a 3080 rather than a Ti, and I don't relish spending $2000 CAD on a GPU (about $500 more than a 3080 at MSRP). I had the chance to buy one at retail a couple months back, and I decided against it, hoping that 3080s would start flowing, but there's been nothing so far. I'll have to mull it over--I have 20 hours to decide.

Edit: I decided to go for it. I haven't bought a video card in 5 years, so I can justify spending a little more, plus it seems like I can still sell my GTX 1080 for $600CAD (judging by what I see on the local buy&sell website), so that will soften the blow.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Congrats, I don't think you'll regret this. 

It's hard to explain to persons who have never seen it and might not understand it, but being able to push extreme res in 90 fps is a total game changer. 

Today I watched The Bond and The Crow both in res 400% and 90 fps, and it was like watching them for the first time. Tons of details I never noticed before. With very high res, distant objects become incredibly sharp, and then there's the antialiasing effect too.

The 3080 Ti is not just an upgrade from the GTX 1080, you're now really stepping into the Rift - old Rift games will be like new 🙂

I guess we only live once, and if you really care about PCVR, a high-end Series 30 card will blow your mind.