cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG, There Really Are a Million Rifts Buried in the Desert.

StevieCQ
Honored Guest
I did a post the other day at the end of the thread about Palmer's comment on burying Rifts in the desert.  I pointed out that we now know that retail was set to open in May, as it did, but with almost no stock.  Stay with me here.

There are over 1000 Best Buy stores in North America.  Stocking them with a couple hundred units each would take 200,000.

Amazon is even bigger, but let's give them 200,000.

Microsoft and the companies selling bundles, maybe 100,000.

Then you have universities, hospitals, researchers, military, etc., say 100,000.

Palmer said that there were plenty for however many pre-orders came in.  Dev kits were over 150,000, so to be safe, at least 400,000 for pre-orders.

We were shown pictures of the first unit coming off the assembly line last fall.  All these numbers were known at that time.  So it's not unreasonable to say that there were a million Rifts ready to go at launch, but somewhere around that time, it was discovered that they were not usable.  All of them.

This would explain pretty much everything that has happened.  Of course there was a component shortage.  No one was prepared at that point to knock out another million units.  Maybe that is why the price doubled.  Maybe that explains the missing glasses insert.  Maybe it explains why so many of us are still waiting for our Rift.

It certainly explains Palmer's cryptic tweet the other day about burying a million units in the desert.  

Having made this slightly crazy deduction, I would like to add that I am a huge fan of Oculus and even if this speculation is exactly true, I don't mean to turn anyone against them.  In fact, I think this explanation is a lot more understandable and would make me more sympathetic than the strange story we are getting now.
6 REPLIES 6

blue-steel
Expert Protege
they wouldn't through out rifts as they would re use the working pieces to save money

Greenfire32
Heroic Explorer
it's a reference to the E.T. cartridges made by Atari.

minimoo
Explorer
Palmer Luckey is the worst c**t ever

blue-steel
Expert Protege

yes but with et it made sense as you couldn't reflash the carts.  With the rift it makes zero sense

Greenfire32
Heroic Explorer

yes but with et it made sense as you couldn't reflash the carts.  With the rift it makes zero sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk