cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus App Status - "Can't Reach Oculus Service"

BrOtis
Explorer
So I've been working with Oculus support for a week with this. They are just as stumped as I am it appears. So this is my last resort. 😕
So I decided to build a PC specifically for VR and Plex Media server. I had my Oculus Rift installed and working find on my normal gaming computer. No problems at all. Then I try to install the oculus softwar on my new computer and I run into the error "Can't reach oculus service" when its in the "checking app status" portion. Here's everything I've tried.

I followed Oculus supports recommendations and re installed the software a dozen times. I made sure there was no firewall / security software active, made sure that I ran the install as an admin. I've got a gig connection thats super strong. I tried installing the runtime error patch even. So finally I broke down and said screw it im just gonna reformat my computer entirely and the first thing im gonna install is the oculus software. So I did. And I STILL get the same exact error. Not only did I do a clean install of the entire windows 10 OS, I installed a new Hard drive with a new sata connection cable. At this point I have no clue what it could be. It works on my other machine on the same network, so the network isnt the issue. I've just done a clean install on a new HD with new cables and still it doesnt work. The only thing I can think of is that maybe, some how, my router is blocking it due to the settings I have in place for remote access to my Plex Media Server.

Anyone got any ideas?
28 REPLIES 28

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Check the VC runtime packages as missing those can cause that error.

BrOtis
Explorer

sraura said:

Check the VC runtime packages as missing those can cause that error.

I have actually tried to install the patch they have for that but it didnt change anyting. I think the Runtime error is different from the one I get. All the screen shots I've seen of the run time error dont look anyting like what im experiencing.and it says Oculus services not "runtime". However if there is something there that I dont know about then sure I can give that a go. Are there more than just the 1 patch/?

BrOtis
Explorer
So update to anyone that's interested here, I was doing some digging and found something on Reddit that advised me to go to the following directory, C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime then run the file OVRServer_X64 as an admin and then open the Oculus app. And guess what? That worked. What the hell?

Now I'm facing a different issue. So I have this PC set up in my living room where Im using a projector. The projector requires an HDMI in put since I've got this crazy surround sound set up and everything is routed through that. My GeForce 1070 only has 1 HDMI port and 2 display ports. So in order for me to use the Rift, I have to either use a display port monitor or remote into the computer with my lap top. So I normally just remote into it since thats much easier. But the microsoft remote desktop app basically prevents that from happening because hardwired displays are not able to see whats going on while Im remoted in. lol. So now I have to purchase a display port to HDMI adapter so I can use this set up. lol. But yeah, crazy little fix. No idea why that worked.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Yea that has been the known "fix", but it is usually caused by some other thing what has caused the installer to fail... Those things may are (but are not limited to):
  • Non utf-8 compatible windows
  • Accent marks, spaces or other extended characters on windows user name
  • 3rd party software, most commonly antivirus or windows defender but many others on the list too.
More uncommon reasons may include:
  • Insufficient windows user rights
  • Problems connecting to facebook account (creating oculus account fixes this).
Anyways good that you got it sorted out.

What comes to your other "problem", UltraVNC might solve your issue if you can get both computers to same network (local area network is the easiest choice ofc).

Blueyesteph
Explorer

BrOtis said:

So I've been working with Oculus support for a week with this. They are just as stumped as I am it appears. So this is my last resort. 😕
So I decided to build a PC specifically for VR and Plex Media server. I had my Oculus Rift installed and working find on my normal gaming computer. No problems at all. Then I try to install the oculus softwar on my new computer and I run into the error "Can't reach oculus service" when its in the "checking app status" portion. Here's everything I've tried.

I followed Oculus supports recommendations and re installed the software a dozen times. I made sure there was no firewall / security software active, made sure that I ran the install as an admin. I've got a gig connection thats super strong. I tried installing the runtime error patch even. So finally I broke down and said screw it im just gonna reformat my computer entirely and the first thing im gonna install is the oculus software. So I did. And I STILL get the same exact error. Not only did I do a clean install of the entire windows 10 OS, I installed a new Hard drive with a new sata connection cable. At this point I have no clue what it could be. It works on my other machine on the same network, so the network isnt the issue. I've just done a clean install on a new HD with new cables and still it doesnt work. The only thing I can think of is that maybe, some how, my router is blocking it due to the settings I have in place for remote access to my Plex Media Server.

Anyone got any ideas?

im in same boat now does it show on headset not focused aswell???

sraura
Heroic Explorer
you 2 could try starting the service manually* or if it is already running, making dedicated oculus account instead of the facebook account if you're using that... No idea if that has anything to do with the actual issue tho... Just remember that some1 had issues with that too.
*) can be found from Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe

BrOtis
Explorer

im in same boat now does it show on headset not focused aswell???

So, the only thing that works for me is running the file I mentioned above as an admin. Not sure why that works. But it works.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
If you want to investigate it further...
one thing is you could check all the paths from:
  • start command prompt by writing "command prompt" to windows search box and hit enter
  • type "set" and hit enter
If anything in the list seems any way wrong or is conflicting with your windows username or oculus directories, there might be the problem.
Also:
  • write "services" to windows search box and hit enter
  • browse down "Oculus VR Runtime Service". Startup type should be "automatic"
Also:
  • write "msconfig" to windows search box and hit enter
  • check that in "services"-tab there are "Oculus VR Library Service" and "Oculus VR Runtime Service" and that both have their checkboxes ticked.

ryanscook
Honored Guest
I’m having exact same issue. My rift S has been working great for weeks. Then finally did update to 1.38 & it wouldn’t  work properly told me to “update usb driver” so I checked for windows updates & installed all windows updates. Since then have tried everything & I mean everything to make it work, countless uninstall/ re-install repair, delete all files including “appdata” files have even completely reset/ restored computer & erased everything then first thing I do is download oculus & right after installs it “checks app status” & “can’t reach oculus service”

It has to be something to do with windows 1903 & oculus 1.38. They just do not want to work together 

ive also updated my rx580 graphics driver
tried to manually run services.msc

cannot get oculus.library to run tried in both manual & automatic but it will not run

also tried oculus/support/runtime/server 

nothing will make it work I’m beyond frustrated & kind of just want to return everything.

really hope they will come out with an update or do something to make it work in next couple days.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?