cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Borked my Rift - Want a Refund!

Tim74UK
Level 4
Oculus Borked my Rift - Want a Refund! 

I will scream it from the rooftops until I get some service!!!
My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10
45 REPLIES 45

Tim74UK
Level 4
Oh please do some research these days laptops really are in the realm of a desktop replacement. 
My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 16GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 250GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

w_benjamin
Level 5

Tim74UK said:

Oh please do some research these days laptops really are in the realm of a desktop replacement. 

Irrelevant. If the PC/Laptop/Ipad/StoneTablet you have isn't up to the job, then get something that is, or fix what you have so it is up to the job.
I've never had a single hardware issue with mine since I got it.(that wasn't my fault)

falken76
Level 13

Tim74UK said:

They really are not.  The GPUs themselves are different to compensate for the smaller footprint, heating issues, power consumption etc.  A GPU for a desktop will usually outperform the same model found in a laptop.  Laptops are great, but I would certainly prefer a desktop to a laptop myself.  I don't know if the specs posted above to the laptop were in fact for the same model you have, but if it is, you certainly do have a hybrid GPU using intel/Nvidia and those laptops can cause issues with the rift.

Mradr
Level 13
The only reasons that argument holds any water is the fact that computer hardware has already surpass what most software demands. The need to cover as many devices as possible has allow the idea that lesser performing hardware is as good as the alternative. Relatively - that isn't so. As other pointed out laptop are not the same as desktop when it comes to gen to gen level of hardware usually following last gen performance numbers.

Granted - my HMD did die without reason - so I understand your pain - but it's not the end of the world. Just move on and find or do something else. If you can find a buyer - sell off the extra sensors and controllers. As I see it - if this is what FB/Oculus wants then so be it:) The longer they wait for another HMD the less and less money they get from me. I still wonder if it wasn't a bad update. No way to tell though... was working the night before - went to sleep - woke up - try to play game - red light of death. Open it up - no dmg - no loos cables, screens look good. No burnt marks on the board. I will say - they could've remove like another 20% of the weight if they went with plastic clips vs soo many screws. 

I see there is even a thread now of people reporting the same thing on newer bought headsets. 

Zenbane
Level 16

Tim74UK said:

Only when it comes to some tasks, but not other tasks. Not "big boy" tasks. PCVR is a big boy task. Get a big boy machine. It helps make big boy forum posts.
😉

Morgrum
Level 11
I have a big boy laptop to run VR because I deploy so much.
If I didnt I would be a desktop guy for sure.
WAAAGH!

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Morgrum said:

That needs to be on a T-shirt !

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.867)

Zenbane
Level 16

Morgrum said:

If I didnt I would be a desktop guy for sure.

I have nothing against laptops, I own quite a few!

But not everyone is capable of running a laptop in a big boy way. I mean... I don't see YOU complaining about how your laptop "doesn't like older drivers" lmao

There is always an exception to the rule. You are an exception. The problem is that people like the OP want to be an exception as well. Yet clearly, some people should just follow the rule.
The OP should definitely own an "Oculus Ready Desktop" instead of getting upset that his "VR Ready Laptop that doesn't like old drivers" isn't working. Most people are coming in to help correct his error. It's great that you have a laptop that runs your Rift, but you coming in an treating that exception as if it is "the rule" isn't really helping! lol

Of course, if you think that Laptops should be a default for Rifting then cool. Please send the OP a PM and help him fix his laptop so that he can stop spamming.

Zenbane
Level 16

Digikid1 said:

Morgrum said:

I see your Issue you bought Asus.

Those guys went way down in quality when they started mass producing.

My MSI GT83VR runs my Rift no issues.

LOL!!!!!!

I think that MSI is crap and had LOADS of issues with MSI......where I have had ZERO issues with Asus. Go figure. 

Fact is he simply should NOT have gotten a laptop. Should have gotten a desktop computer instead.

Agreed. My Asus ROG Desktop has been powering my Rift and Kicking Ass since April 2016. I've engaged in everything from VR Sports to lengthy hours in Lone Echo (OH) and SkyrimVR (SteamVR). Zero complaints.

Digikid1
Level 12

Tim74UK said:

Can't.....stop.....laughing........ 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

I OWN a small chain of computer stores and you're trying to lecture us on that!?!?!?!

Pot.......meet Kettle.