cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus GO Comparison Chart

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
pxg5tnfhzn3b.png

[Context of Discussion - To discuss the above image,info and how it pertains to VR in general, will not accept insult, bullying or derailment of the thread [governed by Forum rules]]
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
29 REPLIES 29

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

LZoltowski said:
This makes me think that there WILL be a CV2 100%, If Santa Cruz cannot play OR Games, they would not abandon an entire store of apps that are currently out and devs would not be pumping them out.

Precisely! All those rumors that there will "be no Rift SV2 because, Santa Cruz," just dissipated.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Looking at it, the Pico Neo is a clear winner

Interestingly, the Pico Neo uses ultrasonic tracking. The controllers emit inaudible sounds that three ultrasonic receivers on the headset pick up.

But from RoadToVR's preview:
Motion controller tracking wasn’t comparable with what you’d find on any
of the three major VR systems either. There, latency was also a pretty
significant issue in maintaining 1:1 parity with my hands’ actual
position, although I was reassured the controller latency would see
greater polish in the consumer version. Using an ultrasonic solution
sourced from Bay Area-based Chirp Microsystems,
I had moments when the controllers seemed to follow my hands closely
enough to be considered usable, but in its current state I couldn’t
imagine using the controllers for fine object interaction like you would
on any PC/console-based VR headset.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been saying this for quite some time. Glad people are finally on the same page B)

It's also why I'm surprised that Oculus are releasing the Santa Cruz in the first place. Might be handy for training for medical professionals etc, but then most training hospitals would have decent PCs and be able to use Rifts.

The CV1 is going to cost $299/£299 before the end of this year so most people at home that want a VR headset would want to get that even if they need to go to the extra expense of getting a VR Ready PC.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

I've been saying this for quite some time. Glad people are finally on the same page B)

It's also why I'm surprised that Oculus are releasing the Santa Cruz in the first place. Might be handy for training for medical professionals etc, but then most training hospitals would have decent PCs and be able to use Rifts.

Something tells me that it is far more sanitary to have a Stand-Alone HMD in an operating room, as opposed to a VR Ready PC with multiple cables attached to sensors and a Rift lol

Santa Cruz is the middle-tier option that exists thanks to VR experiences like Console VR and Windows Mixed Reality. In fact, the numbers should reveal that there is a much bigger target market for SC than for Oculus GO. Which is probably why Oculus and Facebook have been very open about the fact that GO is not a product that developers should dedicate their builds towards. Instead they should focus on Gear VR and GO will piggy back off of that.

In contrast, SC will have direct builds. Also, Touch Controllers. SC will have them, whereas GO is just a remote.

And then theres the business world. It isn't feasible to place a Rift and Oculus Ready machine at everyones workstation. The cost would be absurd, and the implementation unrealistic. Having a Stand Alone option with hand-presence (Santa Cruz) is the only way to let VR break through the entire commercial industry.

The types of applications that the Medical Field would use are just fine for SC, and make the concept practical. There isn't a need to have a full gaming rig in a hospital to power a Rift. A doctor or nurse can carry the SC from room-to-room, instead of lugging around an entire Rift setup, sensors and all. Surely, the idea of setting up a Rift in every single room would be something no doctor's office or hospital would justify spending money on either.

If Facebook-Oculus didn't meet this middle-tier need and instead relied on the Rift, someone else would cash in on the missed opportunity.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
OCULUS GO - slated for April 2018 release*

*= information from a reliable source.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

If i have to pre-order this and get added to a fellow poster's Excel spreadsheet i might reach into the internet and rip said spreadsheet up.

Could somebody please confirm we will be able to order this thing off the internet and have it delivered in a couple of days?

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

kevinw729 said:

OCULUS GO - slated for April 2018 release*

*= information from a reliable source.

You deserve a like Kevin but i'm not giving you one - that's too bloody far away!  "Early 2018" - debatable i suppose   😞
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Reverend_Brown
Protege
I'm happy with an April release because I'm right in the middle of spending too much money on other things and will therefore appreciate the financial "recovery" time.  Heh.

Mid April would suit me perfectly.  About 6 weeks away.  Especially if the 64GB version comes in at a bit of a premium.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I would have preferred a March release. I'm trying to build a proof-of-concept for work, and lugging around the Rift + PC + 2 sensors just aint all that alluring lol

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

You deserve a like Kevin but i'm not giving you one - that's too bloody far away!  "Early 2018" - debatable i suppose   😞

It's okay Hiro - I do not need to take one of your likes  B)

Don't blame the messenger - I agree "early 2018" does not normally mean April - but there is a lot of things going on behind the scenes, and I am sure OVR wants to have a joined up policy to announce at the FB event regarding their single platform strategy.